Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[Need Help] Implementation of a Pre-Written Script-Total Noob

Hi folks, I'm a rank amatuer at Roll20. I used to use Maptools for Pathfinder and I got really proficient at using someone else's 'framework', but now I'm trying to make the transition to Roll20. I'm used to a lot of automation and I'm kind of spoiled by it. I have a first session coming up and I'm stuck, and I would really appreciate some help. I'm a Pro-Subscriber primarily for Dynamic Lighting and Advanced Fog of War, but not the API. That said, I don't know how to code yet, but I'd like to try out some of the pre-written Pathfinder scripts, like Group Initiative and maybe Turn Tracker (to track effect durations). I'm stuck. Let me tell you what I do know and maybe someone can give me some tips or hints to get me going? I've looked for a tutorial on this. I've found a lot of guides but none that help someone with so little knowledge. (I can't even figure out which script to cut and paste from GitHub!) I know that scripts have to be installed in the main game page. I did find a tutorial that showed me where. I know you usually have to create a macro that calls to the script. I was going to experiment with that. I found where the repository of pre-written scripts was located. I crashed and burned after that. I went to the Group Initiative script specifically.&nbsp; <a href="https://github.com/Roll20/roll20-api-scripts/tree/" rel="nofollow">https://github.com/Roll20/roll20-api-scripts/tree/</a>... I assume .9.28 is the latest version? When I opened it up, I was confused which section I used to cut and paste to use in my game. I realize I just wrote a lot to ask a simple question, but since you can see I'm kinda clueless, if you folks could offer any other tips I would really appreciate it.
If the script is in that github repo and you want to just use it as-is, not modify the script, you don't have to copy-paste anything. Just go to the game's page and select Settings -&gt; API Scripts. On the API Scripts page, click the dropdown labelled "Roll20 API Script Library". From the drop-down, select GroupInitiative (in the Character section, near the top). Finally, scroll to the bottom of the page and select "Add Script" (all the documentation it shows before that button will still be readable after you add it). Once it's added, there will be a tab on the API Scripts page for GroupInitiative. That will show you the documentation for the script, including the commands. All the commands can be run by typing them into the game chat. Macros aren't necessary, but if you have a command you run often you can create a macro for that command, so you can hit the macro button instead of typing it every time. To figure out how to use a script I recommend creating a test game or copying an existing game (so you don't have to worry about breaking anything), adding the script, then just trying each of the listed commands in that game. I find things make more sense if I try them and see the response than just trying to read and understand all the documentation at once.

Edited 1519869636
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Shameless plug, but if you're playing Pathfinder and using the Neceros sheet, I highly recommend my Pathfinder companion script. Streamlines a lot of play, and automates monster import. It's available from the one-click. Also, PFC will do your group initiative (and a whole lot more group rolls)for you without any messy setup.
Jeez o' pete, I feel dumb. That helped quite a bit, thank you. I have a question for Scott, but I'll send him a PM.
Glad I could help, I know it's easy to go down the wrong path trying to learn something when you don't know where to start.
@Author-X, maybe you know the answer to this? It's slightly off topic. I was going to try the Pathfinder Companion Script that Scott mentioned. I just have no idea if I'm using this&nbsp;Neceros sheet that he referred to. When I created my campaign, I chose what looked like the standard Pathfinder Sheet (i.e. NOT the German, Spanish, French, Legacy, or Simple Pathfinder Sheet). That's the sheet he is referring to?
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
sent you a response on your PM Jim. That should be the neceros. I included an example screencap for you.
I got it! Thank you so much!
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Happy Rolling, and drop by the PFC forum thread if you have any questions.