Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Recommendations For Character Sheet & Script Testing

DLB
Pro
Translator
Hey all, I've been dorking around with modifying character sheets to fit a homebrew campaign currently in the works for roll20 using <a href="https://fiddle.jshell.net/" rel="nofollow">https://fiddle.jshell.net/</a> but the performance isnt quiiiiite there esp with heaps of code. Any suggestions on alternative platforms or better practices? All advice is welcomed. Thanks.

Edited 1520117598
David
Sheet Author
The only thing available is to setup a game and select a Custom Sheet and then paste the HTML and CSS in.
DLB
Pro
Translator
Walt S, Thanks for the info, perhaps I am stuck with tedium
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Notepad++(free) or other similar text editors could help out in showing the code clearer and speed up editing, but then you'd have to copypaste stuff back and forth for testing. Notepad++ have color schemes it can utilize to highlight tags, classes and brachets for better overview.
DLB
Pro
Translator
Andreas J. said: Notepad++(free) or other similar text editors could help out in showing the code clearer and speed up editing, but then you'd have to copypaste stuff back and forth for testing. Notepad++ have color schemes it can utilize to highlight tags, classes and brachets for better overview. cheers
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
I use Notepad++ for all of my Roll20 macros, be they simple one-liners or complex Powercard monstrosities.&nbsp; The ability to see at a glance any lack of closing ) ] }'s is really really useful.&nbsp; My swearing rate dropped considerably after getting Notepad++ ;)
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I used to use Notepad++, but thanks to a suggestion on these forums I tied out Visual Studio Code (it's free), and it's very code. has all the notepad++ advantages, plus code completion and other stuff.
DLB
Pro
Translator
GenKitty said: I use Notepad++ for all of my Roll20 macros, be they simple one-liners or complex Powercard monstrosities.&nbsp; The ability to see at a glance any lack of closing ) ] }'s is really really useful.&nbsp; My swearing rate dropped considerably after getting Notepad++ ;) lollz IDT my swearing rate will ever drop&nbsp;
DLB
Pro
Translator
G G said: I used to use Notepad++, but thanks to a suggestion on these forums I tied out Visual Studio Code (it's free), and it's very code. has all the notepad++ advantages, plus code completion and other stuff. Cheers, Ill check it out

Edited 1520118459
David
Sheet Author
DLB said: Walt S, Thanks for the info, perhaps I am stuck with tedium Tedium? It takes less than 10 seconds to cut and paste, save and refresh a test game. &nbsp;I hate to think what you would have made of having to program in the 80s&nbsp;

Edited 1520122780
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Regardless of how it was in the 80s, it is pretty bad, especially with how basic the parser is.&nbsp; Character sheet editing is waay worse than Script editing though, having to reload the campaign between every change feels like it takes forever when you are are tweaking bit by bit.
DLB
Pro
Translator
Walt S said: DLB said: Walt S, Thanks for the info, perhaps I am stuck with tedium Tedium? It takes less than 10 seconds to cut and paste, save and refresh a test game. &nbsp;I hate to think what you would have made of having to program in the 80s&nbsp; lools well, I suppose it's a generational thing then. In the 80s, I was "programming" on LOGO Writer, but too busy worrying about Thundercats and Masters of the Universe to care about much else
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I have a gulp script that uploads html, css, and translations. For shaped it takes about 6-10s to upload and then a refresh and load of a character sheet so about 30s per change, but it's way better than nnormal. Let me know if you'd be interested.
DLB
Pro
Translator
Kryx said: I have a gulp script that uploads html, css, and translations. For shaped it takes about 6-10s to upload and then a refresh and load of a character sheet so about 30s per change, but it's way better than nnormal. Let me know if you'd be interested. Kryx, yeah ofc I'm interested. Thanks
Jakob
Sheet Author
API Scripter
G G said: Regardless of how it was in the 80s, it is pretty bad, especially with how basic the parser is.&nbsp; Character sheet editing is waay worse than Script editing though, having to reload the campaign between every change feels like it takes forever when you are are tweaking bit by bit. The only thing that really needs tweaking is editing CSS, and I usually do that in the inspector and then write the results to CSS.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Jakob said: G G said: Regardless of how it was in the 80s, it is pretty bad, especially with how basic the parser is.&nbsp; Character sheet editing is waay worse than Script editing though, having to reload the campaign between every change feels like it takes forever when you are are tweaking bit by bit. The only thing that really needs tweaking is editing CSS, and I usually do that in the inspector and then write the results to CSS. For me it's the Sheet Workers, especially when trying to track down bugs, or testing changes to code. Adding console.log commands, making a small change, reloading, etc. all takes so long.
Jakob
Sheet Author
API Scripter
G G said: Jakob said: G G said: Regardless of how it was in the 80s, it is pretty bad, especially with how basic the parser is.&nbsp; Character sheet editing is waay worse than Script editing though, having to reload the campaign between every change feels like it takes forever when you are are tweaking bit by bit. The only thing that really needs tweaking is editing CSS, and I usually do that in the inspector and then write the results to CSS. For me it's the Sheet Workers, especially when trying to track down bugs, or testing changes to code. Adding console.log commands, making a small change, reloading, etc. all takes so long. EASY, just write correct code on the first attempt /s.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
So that's where I've been going wrong!
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
DLB said: Kryx, yeah ofc I'm interested. Thanks I've set up a gist with the basic code. If you know some Gulp it should be fairly easy to set up.&nbsp; <a href="https://gist.github.com/mlenser/c938eea5a390a63080" rel="nofollow">https://gist.github.com/mlenser/c938eea5a390a63080</a>...
David
Sheet Author
G G said: Regardless of how it was in the 80s, it is pretty bad, especially with how basic the parser is.&nbsp; Character sheet editing is waay worse than Script editing though, having to reload the campaign between every change feels like it takes forever when you are are tweaking bit by bit. Millennials lools.&nbsp;

Edited 1520208726
DLB
Pro
Translator
Walt S said: G G said: Regardless of how it was in the 80s, it is pretty bad, especially with how basic the parser is.&nbsp; Character sheet editing is waay worse than Script editing though, having to reload the campaign between every change feels like it takes forever when you are are tweaking bit by bit. Millennials lools.&nbsp; hahaah, my pops says the same thing when pointing out that he did all of his programming on 80 chara punch cards
DLB
Pro
Translator
Kryx said: DLB said: Kryx, yeah ofc I'm interested. Thanks I've set up a gist with the basic code. If you know some Gulp it should be fairly easy to set up.&nbsp; <a href="https://gist.github.com/mlenser/c938eea5a390a63080" rel="nofollow">https://gist.github.com/mlenser/c938eea5a390a63080</a>... cheers

Edited 1520210106
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Walt S said: G G said: Regardless of how it was in the 80s, it is pretty bad, especially with how basic the parser is.&nbsp; Character sheet editing is waay worse than Script editing though, having to reload the campaign between every change feels like it takes forever when you are are tweaking bit by bit. Millennials lools.&nbsp; lol, i think you might be surprised to learn my age. But i move with the times, and know we can expect more from technology now!
David
Sheet Author
G G said: Walt S said: G G said: Regardless of how it was in the 80s, it is pretty bad, especially with how basic the parser is.&nbsp; Character sheet editing is waay worse than Script editing though, having to reload the campaign between every change feels like it takes forever when you are are tweaking bit by bit. Millennials lools.&nbsp; lol, i think you might be surprised to learn my age. But i move with the times, and know we can expect more from technology now! How exactly do you think you would actually test it, even if given full access to the back end without refreshing a page.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Taking your question literally, Walt, and sidestrpping the snarky tone - look back to the first post in this thread. DLB was looking for ways to simulate the roll20 environment to avoid having to deal with the slowness and tedium it presents during testing. Something like that would be ideal. A local sandbox you oculd run without internet connection would be pretty great. Do I expect the rolll20 devs to create anything like that? No, they have other priorities and that's fine. My comment was just a tongue in cheek response to being called a millenial, lol. Don't read too much into it.