Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

How to make tokens visible through (basic) fog of war?

I've got a setup where I'm the DM and one of my players connects to the game and controls the player view, which is projected on a surface. I have a map, with fog of war, and I'm using tokens to indicate locations on the map.  Some of these tokens are within the fog of war but I'd like them to be visible (it's Tomb of Annihilation, so there's places they know of but haven't been).  The wiki page for (non-advanced) Fog of War says "The only exception is that a player can see any token that he or she has control over. This prevents players from accidentally moving their tokens into a location beneath the fog where only the GM could recover them."  This is exactly the behavior I want. I've given control of that token to the player (and even All Players, just in case).  But he can't see it at all (and neither can I if I re-join as player).  I also tried making a character, giving that player control of the character, and making the token represent the character, but that doesn't appear to work either.  Any thoughts on this?

Edited 1521565469
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Players can see the map of token's they control that have sight, however, light, darkvision, LoS, as well as FoW effect this.  I think you would have to manually reveal the FoW for those areas (only if the controlled tokens are on the map layer).
I was considering that possibility -- is it possible to adjust the placement of the nameplate (closer to the token... or ON it, maybe?) Also, does that mean the wiki needs corrected?  If a player's token is under FoW, does the DM have to retrieve it for them?

Edited 1521565505
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
My bad. I stand corrected. (edited my post above) The wiki is correct.  If a token is covered by FoW, you should see the token you control, but not anything else.  Are your tokens on the map layer perhaps?
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
And when you logged in as a player, had you explicitly given yourself control of the token you were testing with?

Edited 1521564779
I confirmed the token is in the Token layer (I even moved it out and back in just to be sure) and I gave control of it to every person on the list (all players individually and also "All Players").&nbsp; Here's what we're seeing:&nbsp; <a href="https://imgur.com/a/zV3I8" rel="nofollow">https://imgur.com/a/zV3I8</a> The first image is my view and the token settings window.&nbsp; The second image is the player's (Andy) view, which is identical to what I see when I "Re-Join as Player." (Uhhhh... possible Tomb of Annihilation spoilers?)
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
And you have verified that the player(s) have control of the token and the token "Has sight" enabled?
The player can move it around, he can even select it behind the FoW and drag it out.&nbsp; I tried every combination of see/edit in the advanced tab. I don't have "has sight" as an option, because that block of settings is exclusive to Plus/Pro.&nbsp; So maybe that answers my question?
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
"Has Sight" is on the advanced token settings tab.&nbsp; Try that.&nbsp; ;-)

Edited 1521567233
I mean I only have the left half of the advanced tab ("Player Permissions"), which I assume is because (according to the wiki) the right half ("Emits Light") is exclusive to Plus/Pro, and that's where "Has Sight" is.&nbsp; The only thing I even have on mine is the See/Edit checkboxes for Name/Bars/Auras.

Edited 1521568457
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
I didn't realize that the advanced tab wouldn't be accessible to free accounts.&nbsp; Too bad that while the other parts of DL and LoS wouldn't work, the "Has Sight" option&nbsp; could still be used for FoW purposes...&nbsp; You just might be forced to use the reveal tool after all.
Yeah, I think I might just reveal the hex in question and put a condition on the token, then include a key, until such time as they actually get there.&nbsp; Thanks for everyone's help!
if you use the Modifier Keys you can reveal specifically a single Square (or Circle/Hex) as you can make it Snap to Grid (using Alt I believe) whilst you are revealing, this way they can see the token and not it's surrounding area. In my experience, Free Users can not see under Fog of War under any circumstance unless they are the GM or it is revealed, I was a player in a game where I placed my own Token, wandered into the Darkness once, took me 5 min to locate my Token.
Unfortunately on the hex map, the "snap-to" modifier for the polygon tool snaps to the invisible square grid underneath, instead of the hexes, so the players just have to deal with my shoddy hexwork.&nbsp;&nbsp;
For that one you can use the Circle modifier button to reveal a Circle, and simply bypass the Snap to Grid, looks neater that way, and remember that it's easier to cut than it is to fill, meaning that players see each layer of Fog of War you add, borders and all, especially if on a big Map, because they'll be zoomed way in to see all of the Action. If you draw 3 squares of Fog of War over the Fog of War, they'll see that, even if it was never revealed in the first place.

Edited 1524349197
FlashbackJon, I think I know what you're trying to achieve and I'll show you how I went about it. I allow all of the characters to edit the markers so that they are able click on them. If they do shift & double click on the token it pulls up a picture and a brief summary of the area based on what they know so far (I create a character sheet instead of a handout so that the information can be linked to a token). To safeguard these markers from being moved I have placed a lock on the tokens that only I can unlock as GM. I run the risk of having someone potentially edit the tokens, but I trust my players enough to not do so. &nbsp; GM Screen Token Settings Character Sheet Settings This is all my players are able to see.

Edited 1524677696
you can add a backup copy of the information in the GM Notes at the bottom though, so, should they edit it, you have a copy they can't reach. Another option is to have a [Handout] link in the Description, it generates a second Journal Entry for yourself, but you wouldn't need to reveal it or grant Edit permissions to anyone for the actual information. this is achieved by creating a Handout with said information, then posting the Handout's Name in the Bio of the Character Sheet, for example; Handout: Dripping Caves Info Contents: The caves are all drippy and stuff. Character Sheet: Dripping Caves Contents: [Dripping Caves Info]