Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Is this for real? questionable item on the marketplace

Edited 1522318953
Hello there, i found this on the marketplace I find it almost ridiculous to allow these obviously low effort maps to be sold in the marketplace for the same price as something as amazing as this . it is almost comparable to a scam (one of the map is just 4 same asset in a tiny map with nothing else for god's sake). I just want to know the devs response to this, was it on purpose? what was the train of thought behind this decision? how did this even get on the marketplace? will there be more like these in the future? I am fully aware that Inkarnate have just offered a commercial license deal, but that is only for 25$ a year for independent, first time or self-publisher, which i assume is the publisher for this item, considering his/her username. if i am wrong on this, that is my bad. However it still angers me to see these low effort content To clarify, this is a free tool called Inkarnate which you can use to make overworld map or other generally non-combat map. You can make these maps pretty easily and with better result within one or two hour of messing around with it. Also, i might be breaking a rule for including links from the marketplace in this post, do tell if i am and i will redo the post, perhaps post it somewhere else. Thank you for reading my rant
Hey, I totally agree with you that the quality of the maps is questionable. Especially considering that anyone can create those maps easily with Inkarnate (my first results already looked better than those sold here). On the other hand - it's probably a matter of demand and supply. If people are willing to pay 5$ for those maps, then those maps are obviously worth it (at least in the buyers' eyes). Otherwise, if nobody buys them, the problem will solve itself. That being said, I would love to see some roll20-featured tools and generators like Inkarnate. Everything that could make a GM's life easier. But I understand that roll20 doesn't want to cannibalise the marketplace either...
Well, I agree that I have seen better maps, but I don't find the quality all that bad. Sure, 5 bucks is somewhat steep for it, but it saves you the effort of making your own. I know plenty of people who would shell out $5 for an okay map. In my opinion, the idea of a public marketplace is that anyone can sell their creations. And even if the quality is low, a couple people might still like the item and buy it. This small amount of money, plus the feedback from the community might motivate the creator to put in just a bit more effort next time.
I wish there was a review/rating system for the marketplace.