Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Dynamic lighting broken for circle tool

Windows 10, Chrome, though that's irrelevant as this issue has been persistent across different setups since at least late 2016 I mean come on, this is just embarrassing to be around for so long on a paid feature.
There is a great API to handle this, but you need to be a pro subscriber to use it. It's called DLEllipseDrawer and is available on the one-click API menu.  When you draw an ellipse on the dynamic lighting layer, it automatically converts the ellipse to a polygon.  You can set the number of sides to get the level of fidelity you want.  The default setting of 20 is more than adequate for my needs. Unfortunately there is no solution without the API.
The solution without API is to use the polyline tool rather than the drawing an ellipse. This is not really a bug, rather it is a technical limitation with the current canvasing functionality. DL is derived through lines from the token rather than by each individual pixel whereas the ellipse tool functions using pixels instead of lines. (There are lines underneath of the circle though, which is what the DL is "catching" on above, but these lines will never match up.) You can see a similar instance of this when using a hex grid. Images line up to invisible squares underneath the hex rather than the hex itself.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
This is on the  Dynamic Lighting Wiki page , but it's pretty easy to miss.
Kyle G. said: The solution without API is to use the polyline tool rather than the drawing an ellipse. This is not really a bug, rather it is a technical limitation with the current canvasing functionality. DL is derived through lines from the token rather than by each individual pixel whereas the ellipse tool functions using pixels instead of lines. (There are lines underneath of the circle though, which is what the DL is "catching" on above, but these lines will never match up.) You can see a similar instance of this when using a hex grid. Images line up to invisible squares underneath the hex rather than the hex itself. I see. I've been using the polyline tool already, I'm not dumb lol Just kinda curious why there's nothing to patch it up, any time I play with someone who's new to r20 and has recently subscribed, they make the mistake of using the circle tool and it's just kinda weird especially since as mentioned earlier there's an API for handling it.