Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Change who you are "As:" in the chat by clicking on a respective token?

Edited 1523902268
I'm a GM with a lot of sheets for enemies, NPC's, etc. It bogs down the game during combat when I have to always change who i'm typing as in the chat, because I have custom buttons for each token that calculate most of the combat stuff for me (and I don't want the chat to be clogged down with a bunch of messages correcting who's actually rolling what). Has someone made a script, where when you click on a token it changes you to the name of that token in the chat?

Edited 1523902440
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
The API can't affect who you are speaking as, and it can't react to simply clicking on a token. There is however a solution for you as gm. And it doesn't even require the API. Simply add this to the start of any macros that are not being whispered to you: /as "@{selected|character_name}" Insert macro text here EDIT: If the macros are all contained in their respective character's sheets, then you can streamline that even more to just be: /as "@{character_name}" Insert macro text here See the wiki for full details EDIT 2: Also, note that this command is only accessible by the GM, so these macros won't work for players.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
If you are using Chrome and prefer Hotkeys, You might consider  this tip to speed you up even more. (Does not work with Firefox Quantum)

Edited 1523904993
Scott C. said: The API can't affect who you are speaking as, and it can't react to simply clicking on a token. There is however a solution for you as gm. And it doesn't even require the API. Simply add this to the start of any macros that are not being whispered to you: /as "@{selected|character_name}" Insert macro text here EDIT: If the macros are all contained in their respective character's sheets, then you can streamline that even more to just be: /as "@{character_name}" Insert macro text here See the wiki for full details EDIT 2: Also, note that this command is only accessible by the GM, so these macros won't work for players. Thanks! Can't believe I didn't think of this earlier. Big help.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Glad to help, happy rolling.
keithcurtis said: If you are using Chrome and prefer Hotkeys, You might consider  this tip to speed you up even more. (Does not work with Firefox Quantum) Your suggestion is pretty cool too, appreciate the input. Thanks.