Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Found a way to get a notification when something happens in a game

I'm still at the proof-of-concept stage, but at least one other user has been looking for something like this so I thought I'd share. I run an asynchrounous text-based Traveller: The New Era game right now. It is working out pretty smoothly, but since there is no Roll20 support for email etc. notifications when something has happened in the game we have a Discord channel were everybody notifys the others when they have made a move. This works nicely enough, but it still feels unessecary. What I have discovered is that if you click the "View all chat entries for this game" button in the top of the chat-window you get a seperate page with all the entries in your chat. This page can be monitored using outside services which in turn can generate an email or other notifications when the page is changed. There are a number of webmonitoring services out there, so far I've tested the distill.io chrome extension running on a mac thats alomst always on. It works, but it could have been a lot smoother. Still if anyone else is looking for something like this, it is a start.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
What a good idea. I wonder if there's a smoother way.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Would  If This Then That work?
IFTTT only responds to RSS and none of the RSS generators I've found works behind a login. I quickly hit the email-a-day limit for distill.ios free tier as well. So still looking for a better setup.