Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Token image very dark after upload

Edited 1524474889
I'm attempting to upload an image to serve as a token. But it always comes out extremely dark. It's like he's decided to go goth, i swear. I've tried adjusting gamma and brightness in Gimp, but it never seems to help!  has anyone else encountered this problem? Has anyone resolved it? thanks
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Are you dropping the token on the GM layer?  It will be partially transparent there, which will make it appear darker if the background color of the page is black.  Try: • Select the token and hit 'z' to show it, see if it looks correct in that view.  • Right click it and see what layer it's on, move it to the map or objects layer to make sure it looks right.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I had this problem recently with a token a player supplied for their character. It turns out for whatever reason, all the pixels in the character were at about 80% transparency. Looked normal on a white background, but almost invisible on a dark background. I pulled it into Photoshop and fixed the transparency, and it looked fine.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Another possibility, is the token on the object (or map layer) in an area covered by fog of war or blocked from dynamic lighting? The GM overlay would darken the token in that case.

Edited 1524349214
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Or the token has a tint applied?
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Auras are below tokens, but tint could make it darker.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I have no idea what you meant. I wrote "tint". Just look. No subterfuge here, move along. But, uh, everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here, now, thank you. How are you?
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
HAHAHAHAHA
Sorry Kieth, but I think we need to send a squad up.
keithcurtis said: I have no idea what you meant. I wrote "tint". Just look. No subterfuge here, move along. But, uh, everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here, now, thank you. How are you? Well, it could have been another token's aura, right? ;)
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Arthur B said: Well, it could have been another token's aura, right? ;) (Auras are below tokens... =D )
This is happening on many tokens that I upload. This is a screenshot of the effect. The gnome and the circle are both on a white background, as you can see in the image viewer window included. In fact, when I drag one of these images from the Art Library, it still shows the white background as I drag it! So, I must have SOME setting causing this. FoW is off. Tokens are going to the Object Layer.
keithcurtis said: I have no idea what you meant. I wrote "tint". Just look. No subterfuge here, move along. But, uh, everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here, now, thank you. How are you? LOL!! That made my day! keithcurtis said: Or the token has a tint applied? Doh! Tint was set to black. By default. Very annoying. WHY did I set that?!?!?! Good catch, Keith! Thank you! You've saved my sanity!
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Do you happen to have a tint set in the default game settings: