Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Custodians of the Galaxy

Just saw this and am intrigued:&nbsp; <a href="https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/module/88/custodians-of-the-galaxy" rel="nofollow">https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/module/88/custodians-of-the-galaxy</a> Can anyone tell me more about the system? I love Red Dwarf and have always wanted a good system for comedy sci-fi (yes, I know there was an official version way back when... didn't match the theme, for me!). The description looks great, but how well does Custodians run?

Edited 1525206965
Naughty Zoot
Marketplace Creator
Hey Evan, I am the creator of Custodians of the Galaxy so I can tell you about it, although you will obviously have reason to believe me to be prejudiced in its favor. First, thanks for your interest. I'm glad you are intrigued! Second, I think Custodians is fun as hell. It is literally my favorite system. I laugh my A** off every time I play. It took me several decades to create the system I always wanted to play. It is easy to run, flexible, encourages creativity and laughs, but still has a ton of hidden depth in the math. The system is a complete homebrew with the goal of allowing a free-writing game or a dice-heavy game or something in between. I always favored being able to loosen up and just "write" cool things in an RPG without being too bound to a set of moves and explicit rules. However, I have found that most players need some hard and fast numbers and moves to get them started. So the system has both. You can GM it anywhere in between. I will go on a lengthy rant below about specifics but I will tell you that I've run the game to completion a couple of times and it's been in development and play testing for 5 years. There were kinks along the way (of course) but I believe the result is very finely polished. The game positively encourages players to make the world and make the fun. At the same time, there is a definite story arc with major twists, well-defined characters and competing factions sure to challenge your players. I do not go easy on players. It is very possible to live through the campaign and not "win". Several very nasty tricks are in store. In short, I love this game and I think it runs extremely well. I hope you will love it as well.&nbsp; Begin Rant: Starting the game... Is designed to be EASY. Session 0 introduces the game without any prep You (the GM) play the Director, replacing the previous director of the TV show. You've got notes and a project team who help get you started. The fact that you don't know what's going on or what the "rules" are or what went wrong with the previous writer and director is part of the game. And yes, the Director is in a game as well and at the end you might feel that your Director "lost". On the writing side:&nbsp; You are supplied with a lot of materials (concept art for set pieces, props, notes on story, etc) and a lot of blanks. Players are encouraged to fill in the blanks.&nbsp; You can write for the whole scene, not just your character. So those moments when players are throwing around ideas about what would be funny to happen next become part of the screenplay. If It would be hilarious as hell to have the cops fall off a cliff... that's what happens. Except the more advantage you are creating for yourself the better the dice roll you need for it to succeed. So there are limits. Custodians have a Modus Operandi which is a statement about what makes sense for them. Its their "powers" and their personality. Heavily influenced by "Schtick" from Tales from the Floating Vagabond. If you're a spy you can always do spy stuff, If you're a Jedi you can always do Jedi stuff... Spell casters and Psychics make up their own spells and can attempt whatever they want. Difficulty is based on how much the spell helps. Casters have a limited amount of juice. On the crunchy side: If you want to run a map-driven combat-heavy game akin to warhammer 40K you could do that too. Maps, character tokens, rules, macros are all there. 9 different stats form the basis of all tests which are on D20. A GIANT amount of math went into figuring out how to minimize the need for modifiers and tables. Upgrading stats has an exponential curve. Simple for both player and GM but the underlying math is hugely complicated to produce complex results on a simple system. DARING DICE is a pool of dice you can use to augment your chances. You decide when to be awesome. The rest of the time you will suck hilariously. CANNED TROPES are limited use, clearly defined powers. Examples: BEHIND THE BLACK. Once per episode appear from "off camera" even though there is no way you could have been there.&nbsp; UNLIKELY CPR. revive a dead character. HELLO CLARICE. diagnose (create) a deep seated psychological flaw in the target. (Examples abbreviated. Full rules included) MACROS MACROS MACROS! Good grief I made a lot of macros. PCs have a macro for every test. They also have macros to add Daring Dice. NPCs have a macro for everything they ever need to do. There are also several insane macros that roll dice that could not exist in the real world like a D(Cunning x Coordination). Custodians has a WOUND system rather than HIT POINTS. Hit points have the disadvantage that you always have a good notion of how long until you go down. Not in my game. The Wound System makes it easy to be scared that you might die, because a&nbsp;Kill shot COULD happen. In practice, odds of getting killed are pretty low but odds of getting scared by a close call are extremely high.&nbsp;&nbsp; Weapon balance. Bigger weapons are slower to bring to bear. exploding dice, critical hits, blunders, clusters, etc XP is based on being useful, rolling critical hits, playing your character, making the players laugh The nine stats are: C&nbsp; Cunning- Understanding people and situations. Used to lie, seduce, charm etc. Also modifies initiative. U&nbsp; Quickness- Movement distance and tests of speed S&nbsp; Strength- Physical strength and athleticism. Used for bludgeoning melee combat T&nbsp; Toughness- Resistance to injury and death. Saving throws against poison, fire, etc.&nbsp; O&nbsp; Coordination- Dexterity, Agility and Grace. Used for sword and knife fighting. D&nbsp; Daring- Destiny, Luck or Willpower. Used for tests of Luck (Do the cops fall off the cliff?). Also provides DARING DICE I&nbsp; Intelligence- Understanding objects and information. Intelligence Tests. Also used by psychics and spell casters A&nbsp; Accuracy- Shooting stuff N&nbsp; Natural Defense-&nbsp; Points of natural armor and biological defenses. Thank you for reading this and for checking out Custodians. I will be happy to answer more questions. Happy gaming!

Edited 1524609045
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
I have it setup and looking it over right now. It looks interesting. First question with more to be added later. The welcome handout is mostly in blue so are you indicating that should be read or shown to the players (Text in black is for your eyes only. Text in blue is to be read aloud to the players) instead of being only GM eyes only? Just asking due to my color vision is slightly impaired and want to be sure.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
That sounds pretty cool!

Edited 1524611903
Naughty Zoot
Marketplace Creator
Pat S., Thank you so much for the purchase! I will be happy to handle any questions you may have. If we get into spoiler territory I may request that the messages become private. As to your first question: Yes, the first handout is intended to be read to the players as well, at least from INTRO onwards. I see now that color blindness was something I had not considered in my formatting. If I get to a re-release that will be one of the first issues I tackle. -Another note: The intent is that the GM is playing a Director who has been brought in last minute on a project. He/she has all these freakin notes in front of them and they are trying to figure out what to do with it. So the fact that you as a GM might feel a little lost is fine. You can just roleplay that off as "Just a second guys, I'm trying to sort out these notes." Then I give you project team members who are sending text and email to guide you in to the process. So you might say "OK, guys. I just got an email from Janine. She says I should explain how Initiative works. So here's what she says..." The beginning of the game does some hand-holding and then it gradually loosens up more and more.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Understandable. Right now I'm looking over everything and trying to decide on what to break up into macro's so I can send stuff to the chat as I run text based games. There are many players and GMs that run their games by text and not voice so I'm planning out a macro sheet of text feeds.
This sounds very cool. Big props for the effort, and I’m really looking forward to seeing the response. No time for starting anything new now, but this really caught my eye. &nbsp;
Naughty Zoot
Marketplace Creator
Thanks for the props!

Edited 1525206185
Naughty Zoot
Marketplace Creator
For what it's worth, I thought I'd post a sample character, just to illustrate how things are set up in Custodians. As a player you play an Actor. That actor is helping to write the script for the show and will ultimately portray one of the Custodians in the show. Your character sheet has attributes for your Actor and the Custodian they portray. See below: Actor Name Brent Westwood Physical Description Male. Humanoid. mid 40's. Sun-hardened hide, full head of beautiful "un-cared-for" hair, whiskers. Hides eyes behind a wide-brimmed hat. Irises burn with orange light when he hypnotizes a foe. Filmography and prior work FILM : True Guts (The man with no name), Out for Revengeance (Jon Smithereens), The Man with Three Guns (The Man with Three Guns), Stay at Home Dad (Annoying Neighbor) TV : Commercial for Kitty's Pride cat food (voice of cat), Commercial for Silver Acres Retirement Village (Mean Attendant at the "other guys" retirement village), Commercial for American Gun and Beer (Child holding first gun), Different in the Family (Recurring role as Timmy, the naive boy that serves the cautionary tale) **Your Filmography is part what you make it and part what the other players saddle you with. This info is just for fun and flavor.** Traits Gravitas (Critical hit social Test), Leading Man (Earn Plaudits for completing a story arc), Street Cred (Your Custodian is recognized as a tough guy), I Do All My Own Stunts (Earn plaudits when you use Daring Dice), A Certain I-Don't-Know-What(Earn plaudits every time you roll your lucky number). maintenance cost =9 CHOPS per chapter. **Actor Traits help establish how a character will be portrayed, provides some "powers", and allows interesting metagaming.** CHOPS 1&nbsp; &nbsp; **Unspent experience points** PLAUDITS 0&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; **Unspent experience points but these don't count toward your REP** REP 173&nbsp; &nbsp; **Spent CHOPS. Basically your level** Rewrites 1&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; **Saves your Custodian from death** Link to description of Actor Traits Custodian Name McGrady Physical Description A hardened nomad who wanders both cities and wastelands, McGrady wears a short cloak and a wide-brimmed hat that keeps his eyes obscured. Background McGrady is a fast gun for hire. He remains unattached from others and stays on the move, looking for his next meal and next target. McGrady is no assassin though. If you hire McGrady everyone will know who did the job. Modus Operandi The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly 2049 . McGrady is an anachronism. He was meant to live off of gila monsters and saguaro cactus but he was born in a world of post-technological apocalypse. McGrady has very little understanding of, interest in, or patience with technology. He trusts his six-blaster and little else. McGrady can survive "off the land" in nearly any environment and he can sense the plans and movements of would-be captors. STATS * * Stats upgrade by purchasing +1 increments at increasing cost. ** STAT Base Value Current Value +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 C CUNNING 12 14 3 7 12 18 27 39 70 - - - - - - - - - - - - - U QUICKNESS 7 9 6 14 25 42 90 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - S STRENGTH 2 - 3 7 12 18 27 39 70 - - - - - - - - - - - - - T TOUGHNESS 3 4 8 21 42 102 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - O COORDINATION 6 - 3 7 12 18 27 39 70 - - - - - - - - - - - - - D DARING 4 10 2 2 2 3 3 4 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 14 16 18 20 22 I INTELLIGENCE 2 - 3 7 12 18 27 39 70 - - - - - - - - - - - - - A ACCURACY 12 16 3 7 12 18 27 39 70 - - - - - - - - - - - - - N NATURAL DEFENSE 2 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - TRAPPINGS Cleaning Supplies, Wilderness survival gear PROPS 1 slot 1 slot READINESS 3 in hands - - READINESS 2 in hands - - READINESS 1 in hands - - READINESS 0 open carry Six Blaster - READINESS 0 open carry - - READINESS 0 open carry - - READINESS -1 covered carry - - Cunning Canned Tropes Think Fast (reroll Initiative), Combat Reflexes (Initiative improved by 3) Quickness Canned Tropes Wire Fighting Technique (Dodge melee attack), Gunslinger (Drawing a hand gun costs zero actions), Are you Watching Closely? (Switch places with target character) Strength Canned Tropes none Toughness Canned Tropes none Coordination Canned Tropes none Daring Canned Tropes none Intelligence Canned Tropes none Accuracy Canned Tropes Rapid Fire (Extra Accuracy Attack), There's No Kill Like Overkill (Weapon penetration ramps up during combat) Natural Defense Canned Tropes Hazardous Environment (Unaffected by heat,cold,poison,fire etc.), Ink Cloud (Release opaque cloud of smoke/ink), Hypnotize (Stun enemies)
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
That Stats acrostic is great! =D
Naughty Zoot
Marketplace Creator
Bonus points for the use of "Acrostic"
Naughty Zoot
Marketplace Creator
At the risk of being overly-self-bumpy, I am going to write more about Custodians...because I like it...and Its new and people don't know what to make of new things sometimes. The following is an example of gameplay. The image below is a small piece of the concept art for the space station. Director: Interior. Galactic United Nations Space Station- Morta Ghul Embassy. After learning of the bomb threat the Custodians managed to infiltrate the GUN Space Station, bypass security, and tear through several embassies causing no small stir. With Sindahli security forces now chasing them down, the Custodians burst through the forcefield and enter the Morta Ghul embassy, falling comically on top of each other. The embassy is...well, based on the concept art I think it needs to be sort of a landscape of tall black rock or metal outcroppings. I don't know. The VFX guys will figure it out. On top of the outcroppings and around the level floor area are a large number of Morta Ghul soldiers, all with heavy armor and weapons. They do not look happy to see you. What happens next? James (Actor): OK, well first of all, The Blue Wizard fell face first on Kazdum's crotch. Sven (Actor): Right. and it's mutual. It's an awkward accidental 69. James: And the soldiers look at each other like "what is going on?" Director: Yeah. And the fumbling over each other goes on for at least half a minute while the soldiers just stare in confusion. Eric (Actor): While this is going on, Davin is getting his assault blaster lined up. Without warning he opens fire from underneath the pile of Custodians. Director: Roll Initiative! [Combat ensues. Both sides take turns moving and attacking, rolling tests against their stats to resolve their actions.] Director: James, it is The Blue Wizard's turn. What happens next? James: Em...this is balls. we are getting killed. The Blue Wizard...em...The Blue Wizard summons a river of lube! The slippery gel rushes down out of a portal and knocks all the soldiers off their feet. Director: [Looks at Caster chart]. So I would say, that sounds like "Provides critical help in a tough situation" That would be a level 4 power. That costs 2 Daring Dice to initiate and requires 12 Hits against Intelligence to succeed. James: [Uses all his available actions and good deal of his DARING in order to satisfy the test.] OK. So I got the hits. Director: OK. Don't forget, your M.O. says that your power fluctuates randomly. So roll to see if the level of the spell becomes altered. James: Yep. [rolls die. the spell comes off unaltered.] Director: The soldiers are swept up in the wave of lube and fall all over each other. James: and they fall crotch to face every time! Director: OK. They fall crotch to face... James: Repeatedly... Director: OK. I'll go with that. Sven, what happens next? Sven: Kazdum is still trying to stab people [rolls attacks] ...unsuccessfully. That was a critical fail. Director: OK. So how does this effort go wrong? Sven: Uh...Kazdum gets splashed by lube so his knife slides right of the guys armor and kaz falls and bashes his nose on the guys chestplate. Then he just stands their rubbing his nose and he says "I frink I brote my node" Director: Sounds good. Take one wound. Eric. What happens next? Eric: Davin is about to vaporize some dudes when a loose boulder from above breaks off and falls down and then slides on the lube knocking all of these soldiers off a cliff. Director: OK. If this works we'll have the VFX guys add a cliff to the set. This would be a pretty major help to you, so let's say you need to get 8 Hits against Daring. Eric: Oi. That's a lot. [Rolls Daring Test adding extra Daring Dice.] 6 hits. Director: OK. So, yeah, a boulder does fall and it lands right in front of two soldiers. They are startled and remark to each other that it was a 'close one'. The boulder then slides slowly forward as the two discuss whether they would be eligible for workman's comp if they had been hit. evntually, the boulder nudges one guy in the back of the ankle and he stumbles and falls off the cliff. Eric: meh. Director: [rolls attacks against Custodians, distributes wounds] James, you're up again. James: The Blue Wizard...summons...a gigantic gust of wind to blow the soldiers off the cliff. [Dice are rolled similar to the previous spell. The spell succeeds but the Blue Wizard's quirky M.O. gets the best of him. The spell is randomly reduced to a level 1 spell.] Ah crap. So, instead of a giant gust of wind The Blue Wizard strains to control the arcane energy, beads of sweat welling up on his forehead, and then he just farts. [all laugh] Director: Excellent. Take one CHOP (xp) for making us laugh. Kelvin: If I could, I'd like to have Master Bates use HEROIC ENTRY now. Director: Sure! You've been off camera for a while. Kelvin: Master Bates comes crashing through the outer force field of the embassy, hair flowing magnificently, over-sized adult toys in each hand. And he's riding a dildacorn. And his girlfriend is on the back of the dildacorn, arms wrapped around Master Bates, telling him how heroic he is. Director :...define "riding" [all laugh] Kelvin: So Master Bates lands behind the soldiers and then slides across the lube, the dildacorn knocking soldiers off the cliff with his big rubbery horn. [many, many immature comments] Director: OK. OK. enough.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
=D
Gold
Forum Champion
We are going to playtest the one-shot version soon! Naughty Zoot might be in the game, and possibly Twitch TV (streaming -- To Be Announced). Send me PM if you might want in (Might be just about full, 1 spot to be decided)