Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Making a Traveller: The New Era sheet - but there are soooo many skills, can I hide them?

My coding skills are pretty low, but I've been modifying the Twillight 2000 v2.2 Sheet to my Traveller: The New Era campaign. These games share the same system, but with some differencens in the type of skills avialable. As you might see from the Twillight sheet there are a lot of skills, and in Traveller there are even more. In the end this makes the sheet a bit unvieldly and long and it's difficult for the player to see what skills they actually have. Is there a way to make the skills selectable in any way, so that only the skills that the character has learned is visible on the sheet? I've been toying around with <fieldset> without any success. I've also considered using the format for the "Lanugage" skill in the Twillight sheet for all skills, but that would give different attributes to the same skills for different characters, and I'm guessing that could come back and haunt me later... If skills were selectable or unused skills could be hidden, that would also make it possible to create a sheet that works for all the GDW games of the early 90s.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Have a look at the mongoose traveller sheet (both 1e and 2e). They have a great technique for hiding and showing skills, either in groups or individually.

Edited 1524640814
David
Sheet Author
Whats wrong with an attritubte for the skill name in the fieldset and let the lazy sods do a bit of typing. I love skill based games but they can be a pain to create sheets for. I have worked on a few including the Twilight 2000 sheet. One thing I have been thinking about is a blank skill name and a list of skills that can be un hidden and the user can simply copy the text and paste it into the skill name attribute. I have been working on a  Sengoku sheet which has a ton of skills to.  I have used the blank skill name attribute idea but fieldet rows are added on a sheet it is first opened.  You might be able to do something with the configuration screen when the character sheet is selected to decide what skills are added.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
It looks like the skills are grouped by stat. So one simple approach would be to have a repeating field set for each Stat, and when you click Add, you get a select dropdown giving a list of the skills for that stat to choose from. That way the skill list is only as long as the skills players have chosen.
Thanks for the input! I tried making a repating field for each stat, with a list of skills as G G suggests. I was able to make a selectable list, but couldn’t figure out how to get values into the attributes. (As I mentioned I don’t really know what I’m doing here...) Nothing against making the players type a bit, but afraid that might make it more dufficult to refference those attributes later.  Will look at the Mongoose sheets. No idea why I didn’t do that earlier. 

Edited 1524645308
David
Sheet Author
Marius said: Thanks for the input! I tried making a repating field for each stat, with a list of skills as G G suggests. I was able to make a selectable list, but couldn’t figure out how to get values into the attributes. (As I mentioned I don’t really know what I’m doing here...) Nothing against making the players type a bit, but afraid that might make it more dufficult to refference those attributes later.  Will look at the Mongoose sheets. No idea why I didn’t do that earlier.  The controlling attribute should be above the fieldset. <fieldset name="repeating_strSkills> <div> <select style="display:inline-block;margin-bottom:0px;width:xxpx" name="attr_skillName"> <option> value="Archery">Archery</option> <option> value="Archaic Artillery">Archaic Artillery</option> <option value="Armed Martial Arts">Armed Martial Arts</option> <option value="Autogun">Autogun</option> <option value="Early Firearms">Early Firearms</option> <option value="Energy Weapon">Energy Weapon</option> <option value="Grenade Launcher">Grenade Launcher</option> <option value="Heavy Artillery">Heavy Artillery</option> <option value="Heavy Gun">Heavy Gun</option> <option value="Mason">Mason</option> <option value="Mechanic">Mechanic</option> <option value="Slug Weapon">Slug Weapon</option> <option value="Thrown Weapon">Thrown Weapon</option> <option value="Unarmed Martial Arts">Unarmed Martial Arts</option> </select> <input type="number" value="0" name="attr_skillValue" /> <button type="roll" value="&{template:skillRoll} {{name=@{Name}}} {{skillvalue=@{skillValue}}} {{os=[[((@{skillValue}+@{Strength})*?{Difficulty?|Average,[[2]]|Easy,[[4]]|Difficult,[[1]]|Formidable,[[0.5]]|Impossible,[[0.25]]})-10]]}} {{cf=[[((@{skillValue}+@{Strength})*?{Difficulty?| Average,[[2]]|Easy, [[4]] |Difficult,[[1]]|Formidable,[[0.5]]|Impossible,[[0.25]] })+10]]}} {{success=[[(@{skillValue}+@{Strength})*?{Difficulty?| Average,[[2]]|Easy, [[4]] |Difficult,[[1]]|Formidable,[[0.5]]|Impossible,[[0.25]] }]]}} {{roll=[[1d20]]}} {{skillname=@{SkillName}}}"></button> </div> </fieldset> .sheet-skill_value{ border: none; box-shadow: none; border-bottom: 1px solid black; border-radius: 0; display:inline-block; }

Edited 1524643761
David
Sheet Author
To save typing it is to use a word processor or a table or spreadsheet <option value=" "> </option> Paste in your skill list and then copy the tag text.
David
Sheet Author
Marius said: Thanks for the input! Nothing against making the players type a bit, but afraid that might make it more dufficult to refference those attributes later.  You would not be referencing what they type you would reference the attribute (roll20 attribute).
David said: Marius said: Thanks for the input! Nothing against making the players type a bit, but afraid that might make it more dufficult to refference those attributes later.  You would not be referencing what they type you would reference the attribute (roll20 attribute). Yes, but wouldn't the different skills on the character sheet end up in different roll20 attributes? One character's Acrobactis might be another characters Dance? I'm not saying I'm gonna make advanced enough macros etc. to make this an issue, but I'm guessing its better to plan ahead.

Edited 1524657165
David
Sheet Author
Marius said: David said: Marius said: Thanks for the input! Nothing against making the players type a bit, but afraid that might make it more dufficult to refference those attributes later.  You would not be referencing what they type you would reference the attribute (roll20 attribute). Yes, but wouldn't the different skills on the character sheet end up in different roll20 attributes? One character's Acrobactis might be another characters Dance? I'm not saying I'm gonna make advanced enough macros etc. to make this an issue, but I'm guessing its better to plan ahead. No they are not stored liked that

Edited 1524657284
David said: Marius said: Thanks for the input! I tried making a repating field for each stat, with a list of skills as G G suggests. I was able to make a selectable list, but couldn’t figure out how to get values into the attributes. (As I mentioned I don’t really know what I’m doing here...) Nothing against making the players type a bit, but afraid that might make it more dufficult to refference those attributes later.  Will look at the Mongoose sheets. No idea why I didn’t do that earlier.  The controlling attribute should be above the fieldset. <fieldset name="repeating_strSkills> <div> <select style="display:inline-block;margin-bottom:0px;width:xxpx" name="attr_skillName"> <option> value="Archery">Archery</option> <option> value="Archaic Artillery">Archaic Artillery</option> <option value="Armed Martial Arts">Armed Martial Arts</option> <option value="Autogun">Autogun</option> <option value="Early Firearms">Early Firearms</option> <option value="Energy Weapon">Energy Weapon</option> <option value="Grenade Launcher">Grenade Launcher</option> <option value="Heavy Artillery">Heavy Artillery</option> <option value="Heavy Gun">Heavy Gun</option> <option value="Mason">Mason</option> <option value="Mechanic">Mechanic</option> <option value="Slug Weapon">Slug Weapon</option> <option value="Thrown Weapon">Thrown Weapon</option> <option value="Unarmed Martial Arts">Unarmed Martial Arts</option> </select> <input type="number" value="0" name="attr_skillValue" /> <button type="roll" value="&{template:skillRoll} {{name=@{Name}}} {{skillvalue=@{skillValue}}} {{os=[[((@{skillValue}+@{Strength})*?{Difficulty?|Average,[[2]]|Easy,[[4]]|Difficult,[[1]]|Formidable,[[0.5]]|Impossible,[[0.25]]})-10]]}} {{cf=[[((@{skillValue}+@{Strength})*?{Difficulty?| Average,[[2]]|Easy, [[4]] |Difficult,[[1]]|Formidable,[[0.5]]|Impossible,[[0.25]] })+10]]}} {{success=[[(@{skillValue}+@{Strength})*?{Difficulty?| Average,[[2]]|Easy, [[4]] |Difficult,[[1]]|Formidable,[[0.5]]|Impossible,[[0.25]] }]]}} {{roll=[[1d20]]}} {{skillname=@{SkillName}}}"></button> </div> </fieldset> .sheet-skill_value{ border: none; box-shadow: none; border-bottom: 1px solid black; border-radius: 0; display:inline-block; } This is quite similar to something I tried earlier (though your code is better). I tested it (and cleaned up a few small mistakes), but I still can't get it to work properly. It looks ok on the sheet - but not actuall roll20 attributes are generated.
David
Sheet Author
Marius said: David said: Marius said: Thanks for the input! I tried making a repating field for each stat, with a list of skills as G G suggests. I was able to make a selectable list, but couldn’t figure out how to get values into the attributes. (As I mentioned I don’t really know what I’m doing here...) Nothing against making the players type a bit, but afraid that might make it more dufficult to refference those attributes later.  Will look at the Mongoose sheets. No idea why I didn’t do that earlier.  The controlling attribute should be above the fieldset. <fieldset name="repeating_strSkills> <div> <select style="display:inline-block;margin-bottom:0px;width:xxpx" name="attr_skillName"> <option> value="Archery">Archery</option> <option> value="Archaic Artillery">Archaic Artillery</option> <option value="Armed Martial Arts">Armed Martial Arts</option> <option value="Autogun">Autogun</option> <option value="Early Firearms">Early Firearms</option> <option value="Energy Weapon">Energy Weapon</option> <option value="Grenade Launcher">Grenade Launcher</option> <option value="Heavy Artillery">Heavy Artillery</option> <option value="Heavy Gun">Heavy Gun</option> <option value="Mason">Mason</option> <option value="Mechanic">Mechanic</option> <option value="Slug Weapon">Slug Weapon</option> <option value="Thrown Weapon">Thrown Weapon</option> <option value="Unarmed Martial Arts">Unarmed Martial Arts</option> </select> <input type="number" value="0" name="attr_skillValue" /> <button type="roll" value="&{template:skillRoll} {{name=@{Name}}} {{skillvalue=@{skillValue}}} {{os=[[((@{skillValue}+@{Strength})*?{Difficulty?|Average,[[2]]|Easy,[[4]]|Difficult,[[1]]|Formidable,[[0.5]]|Impossible,[[0.25]]})-10]]}} {{cf=[[((@{skillValue}+@{Strength})*?{Difficulty?| Average,[[2]]|Easy, [[4]] |Difficult,[[1]]|Formidable,[[0.5]]|Impossible,[[0.25]] })+10]]}} {{success=[[(@{skillValue}+@{Strength})*?{Difficulty?| Average,[[2]]|Easy, [[4]] |Difficult,[[1]]|Formidable,[[0.5]]|Impossible,[[0.25]] }]]}} {{roll=[[1d20]]}} {{skillname=@{SkillName}}}"></button> </div> </fieldset> .sheet-skill_value{ border: none; box-shadow: none; border-bottom: 1px solid black; border-radius: 0; display:inline-block; } This is quite similar to something I tried earlier (though your's is better). I tested it (and cleaned up a few small mistakes), but I still can't get it to work properly. It looks ok on the sheet - but not actuall roll20 attributes are generated. You must not have the name set to the attribute e.g.attr_skillName
David
Sheet Author
I have sent you a link to the test game for a Sengoku character sheet I am working on which uses fieldsets for skills
David said: I have sent you a link to the test game for a Sengoku character sheet I am working on which uses fieldsets for skills Thanks!