Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Need help with prompt macro

Edited 1524860758
So I'm trying to clean up my macros a little bit, and I thought I'd try to combine them within a drop down query. I'm playing a Paladin, so Channel Divinity has two option. I already have macros that work both for Conquering Presence (#Conquering-Presence) and Guided Strike (#Guided-Strike), so what I would like to do now is create a Macro called Channel Divinity (#Channel-Divinity), where I choose which of those two will be cast. From my understanding, you can reference other macros within another macro using the #, so I thought it would be as simple as prompting which of the two macros would be executed. However what I'm getting is just the text #Channel-Divinity or #Guided-Strike. This is what I have, but it's not working. Please tell me what I'm doing wrong. ?{Channel Divinity|Conquering Presence, #Conquering-Presence|Guided Strike, #Guided-Strike} Edit:Solved! Hey everyone! Your collective efforts to educate me have yielded results! I see now that it seems to be more useful to create these macros directly on the character sheet with the ability tab. I now have a working macro that allows me to choose which of the two channelings I want to use at the time. Here are my results: @{selected|character_name} [Conquering Presence](~character_name|conquering-presence) [Guided Strike](~character_name|guided-strike) So simple! Much appreciation to all of you.
Where are your macros?  If they are on the macro page, the character ability page, or the character attribute page, it changes what prefix you gotta use, from the HASH to an AT or a TILDA or some other one.  Off the top of my head, I cant remember which.  Also, if they're in your sheet, you may also need to include the sheet name.  Id they are in the main macro page, they're probably self destructing due to roll20 parsing out certain characters when they're called within a query.

Edited 1524705060
The # refers to other macros, and the @ to the attributes page. I don't think I've seen the tilda used before. (New to both Roll20 and this macro system) The other macros I made for those class abilities are in the Roll20 macro tab, and can be called up with associated HASH command. If I write a macro with two simple lines including both # commands, it will cast both. But when put into the basic prompt formula it doesn't issue the command, but simply display the text of the command.
Yah, you are running afoul of character substitution when the parser reads in your macros.  Imagine it like this - your macro with the query in it, is parsed, and the parser reads in the sub-macros and puts them into the query as if it was all a single macro, then executes it, except when it does that, certain special characters get parsed out, effectively breaking your macros.  In the help wikia there is information about which characters you have to substitute with HTML codes in order to get what you are trying to do to work.
Ok, reading some more I think I figured out the problem. It doesn't seem to be about character substitution, as I tried every combination of substitution characters in that short bit of code that was listed in the help wiki. Instead I think the problem has something to do with the query reducing the call (#) to a value rather than performing the function. So this is probably going to be a lot more complicated than I thought. Anyone have any ideas how to construct a promt that chooses between several existing macros?
Pantoufle
Pro
Sheet Author
Translator
Hello you can use /w @{selected|token_name} [conquering presence](~conquering-presence) [guided strike](~guided-strike) I think this can work. You can use template to give this a nice looking but this should work... (you may need to put ~selected|conquering-presence if you built it in rhe abilities)
As far as a prompt to choose macros go, I prefer to use a macro that spams a bunch of buttons into whispered chat, rather than a drop down query, as it is the queries that tend to cause the parsing problems and need the sub macros to be specially made with character substitutions.  I strongly suspect that you have simply not put the right substitutions in the right places - it is damn tricky to explain, but basically only certain characters need to be substituted, and only in the macros that will be called from another macro within a query.  The chat button menu basically doesnt have the parsing problem, as the sub macros are not parsed into the calling macro, they're just executed independently when called.
Pantoufle said: Hello you can use /w @{selected|token_name} [conquering presence](~conquering-presence) [guided strike](~guided-strike) I think this can work. You can use template to give this a nice looking but this should work... (you may need to put ~selected|conquering-presence if you built it in rhe abilities) Well it does bring up two options to choose from in chat, but when I pick one, all I get is "Type Error: | is undefined." If I change the ~ to the call # it breaks completely. I haven't seen anything use the ~ yet, could you possibly link me to a place where it describes what that does? I think if I understood what exactly you just wrote I might be able to figure out how to brute force a solution. Aranador said: As far as a prompt to choose macros go, I prefer to use a macro that spams a bunch of buttons into whispered chat, rather than a drop down query, as it is the queries that tend to cause the parsing problems and need the sub macros to be specially made with character substitutions. I see. So I've chosen to try to go about this in the most difficult way possible. Figures. Thank you for trying to explain this to me. I undertook this endeavor because it seemed so simple on the surface. Might just have to scrap this idea.

Edited 1524840081
Pantoufle
Pro
Sheet Author
Translator
You can search the wiki for Ability command buttons here . The problem is that you have a macro and not an ability tied to the character sheet I suppose
Hey everyone! Your collective efforts to educate me have yielded results! I see now that it seems to be more useful to create these macros directly on the character sheet with the ability tab. I now have a working macro that allows me to choose which of the two channelings I want to use at the time. Here are my results: @{selected|character_name} [Conquering Presence](~character_name|conquering-presence) [Guided Strike](~character_name|guided-strike) So simple! Much appreciation to all of you.
Pantoufle
Pro
Sheet Author
Translator
Hurrah :) nice