Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Soft and Hard Dynamic Lighting

I'm currently running the "Death House" bit in Curse of Strahd and I've realized that windows in the dynamic lighting layer are rather strange. If I enable the "Restrict Movement" option, it disallows players to walk through anything they can't see through. However, there are windows in the building that they are unable to look through, and if I remove the line in the lighting layer, then they can move right out of the window. Is there a solution to this that I am unaware of?
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
There isn't currently a way to prevent this I'm afraid.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
This old script can move them back to the proper side of the wall.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Until more advanced dynamic lighting options are available (listed a canvas update requests and I believe  there are people who have been brought in for that very purpose now... #hopesanddreams) I treat this as a social problem, merely explaining to players that there is a window there, the map usually supports this visually, and that they can't get through it without breaking the glass etc. If they choose to move through it anyway and ruin the game in any way they are banished to the splash page to think about what they've done ;)
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
A series of very short DL lines can prevent movement but allow limited vision. It gives the illusion that the windows are barred.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Sadly a single pixel is all that is needed for a determined token to pass through :(
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
(Technically, it's smaller than a pixel...)
Yeah, I figured the system wasn't quite there yet. Just wanted to make sure.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Yeah, someone who really wants to get through the window can do so with a bit of wiggling. if a dash of the DL line crosses the center of the square, that should stop cursor key moved tokens. Mostly it was a suggestion to make accidental crossing less likely. Ideally, DL lines should come in several varieties: Blocks vision Blocks movement Blocks movement and vision Blocks movement on first intersection and vision upon second intersection The last would allow you to see a pillar, but not occupy its space or see what's on the far side. You could see into a shape, but not beyond it.
keithcurtis said: Yeah, someone who really wants to get through the window can do so with a bit of wiggling. if a dash of the DL line crosses the center of the square, that should stop cursor key moved tokens. Mostly it was a suggestion to make accidental crossing less likely. Ideally, DL lines should come in several varieties: Blocks vision Blocks movement Blocks movement and vision Blocks movement on first intersection and vision upon second intersection The last would allow you to see a pillar, but not occupy its space or see what's on the far side. You could see into a shape, but not beyond it. +1