Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[Hero6] HeroSystem 6 Character Sheet (work in progress)

Darren
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Per suggestion, I've uploaded the html and css to GitHub ( <a href="https://github.com/sir-argo/Hero6Playable" rel="nofollow">https://github.com/sir-argo/Hero6Playable</a> ). Note 1:&nbsp; novice at GitHub. Note 2:&nbsp; first character sheet. Note 3:&nbsp; the sheet is structure only (HTML/CSS) right now.&nbsp; Sheet Workers coming.
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Nice to have a sheet for a system unrepresented on Roll20. Sure seems all that is left for you is to create the sheet.json file and you are good to go for submitting a pull request.
Darren
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Oh heck no.&nbsp; The sheet is not even close to being done.&nbsp; All it is right now is html and css and I still need to add a bit more.&nbsp; I haven't done any of the sheet workers yet.&nbsp; The sheet won't be usable until all of that is done.&nbsp; All I'm really after at this point is comments on whether the organization of pages is user friendly.&nbsp; Should certain sections be moved to different pages?&nbsp; Are there any glaring mistakes?&nbsp; Stuff like that.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Andreas J. said: Nice to have a sheet for a system unrepresented on Roll20. Sure seems all that is left for you is to create the sheet.json file and you are good to go for submitting a pull request. There is already a HERO sheet on roll20. It's just terrible. I'm looking forward to testing this new one out.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Has the code on github been tested? I found that on the html page, the entire sheet was duplicated inside the sheetworker (from about line 1200+),&nbsp; Also in both CSS and html, there were a couple of errant text entries I needed to remove to get the sheet to display properly:&nbsp; &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt; HEAD at the top and&nbsp; &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; 43708b8f4b3a9195b1f0ccd3c74b380eb3197d8a &nbsp;right at the bottom.&nbsp; Aesthetically speaking, i like the look of it. I dont know about usability, i havent tested it much, but it's a good start.
Darren
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I think I fat fingered a paste.&nbsp; I'm also still learning how to use GitHub. Anyway, I updated the version.&nbsp; Had to split Powers off onto their own page.&nbsp; There's just too much information to fit even into a 60% wide column.&nbsp; Making progress on the power designer.&nbsp; So, still working on structure.&nbsp; No estimate on when I'll begin working on the sheet workers, but I would hope within a week. Question...is power designer good, or would power config, or power details be better? Brainstorm... trying to come up with an elegant way to handle attacks that are combinations of multiple pieces.&nbsp; The most common example of this is a STR attack.&nbsp; They have adders from multiple sources.&nbsp; I think I have them accounted for:&nbsp; base str + added str from powers = STR; add to that any skill level HTH; add to that any additional dice from the selected maneuver; and if a power is used to initiate the attack--for instance a billy club--it will have a base number of dice.&nbsp; It also has to take into account that a power might have a minimum STR and that amount of STR will not apply.&nbsp; So a STR based attack could potentially be as complicated as this: adamantium baseball bat, 15 minimum STR:&nbsp; 6d6 HTH attack, 3 end. maneuver, martial strike: +2d6, 0 end base str, 25 STR: +5d6, 5 end (heroic end cost) str from powered armor, +20 STR, ½ end:&nbsp; +4d6, 1 end from an end reserve and we need to discount 15 STR because of the bat's minimum: -3d6 The total attack would be 14d6 and cost 9 endurance from the character, and 1 end from an end reserve.&nbsp; Now, a person could make a non-STR based&nbsp;power that is also overly complicated: Laser Pistol:&nbsp; 6d6 blast, 3 end from a reserve Overload Cell:&nbsp; +6d6 blast, 1 charge, costs end from a reserve Bioelectric Enhancer: +4d6, 2 end from character 4 Combat Levels, +2DC:&nbsp; +2d6, 0 end Anyway, I'm trying to come up with an elegant way to handle this.&nbsp; The cumbersome way to do it is to click on each piece separately.&nbsp; If our player hit with the adamantium bat from above, he would click the bat under Powers (it would roll 6d6 and charge END), then click on his STR (which would be listed as 45 and roll 9d6), and then click on the martial maneuver (which would roll 2d6).&nbsp; Besides having to click on 3 different buttons, it also would be wrong because it didn't take into account the weapon's minimum STR. So I'm trying to come up with an elegant way to do this. Anyway.&nbsp; You can check out the progress.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I havent looked yet, but I think you may be going too far with the multiple clicks. What i would do is have each power or martial manoeuvre have two roll buttons: button 1 is the default, and just makes&nbsp; a standard attack: whatever the character's strength is, dice of power, etc. The second one would pop up with queries as appropriate (and which ones might be defined in the sheet's setting page) - how many dice, whether to roll location, and so on. The vast majority of time people use a power, they use the defaults. Players would track END usage manually. You have 3 token bubbles, which is perfect for END, STUN, and BODY, so its easy enough to track them manually. Then people who have access to scripting, can incorporate ways to track END and other advanced elements.&nbsp;
Darren
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I believe html and css are done.&nbsp; I fleshed out the "edit mode" toggle.&nbsp; I have begun sheet workers, but I wanted to commit this version to GitHub before I get very far into that.
If only you could export Hero Designer and it would read and update the sheet...ahhh.&nbsp; I edited a version of it as well.&nbsp; Several things were not completed (Hit locations were the same) and the text was so smushed it was almost unreadable.&nbsp; I applaud the sheet creators effort and yours.&nbsp; Its a crime project of passion. Cheers.
Darren
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Progress update.&nbsp; Sheetworkers coming along.&nbsp; Most significantly, a power can now add to other attributes.&nbsp; If you expand a power to display the details, toward the bottom is a section titled "Enhancements".&nbsp; In that section you can set what attributes are raised (or lowered, I guess) when the power is active.&nbsp; The power toggle turns the power on/off.&nbsp; I still have to finish up the other sections in the power details.&nbsp; I'll then be moving on to calculating ocv/dcv.
Darren
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Ok.&nbsp; I've completed everything I wanted in the first version.&nbsp; It is available at&nbsp; Hero6Playable .&nbsp; I did not intend to put any buttons in the first version.&nbsp; My plan was to first put out a sheet that handled computations.&nbsp; I did give functionality to the Pay END and Recover buttons.&nbsp; My friends and I will be playtesting it in two weeks.&nbsp; I will submit to the Roll20 repository after that.&nbsp; The feedback I would like right now, if anyone is willing to give it, is suggestions for roll buttons.&nbsp; I know that I need buttons for attack, damage, skill rolls, activation rolls.&nbsp; I also know that I have to write up real documentation on how to use it.&nbsp; That's on the to-do list.
Darren
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I've submitted the sheet to the Roll20 character sheet repository.&nbsp; I was going to wait until my group used the sheet in a session this Friday, but our session is being delayed and I don't want to put this off for another few weeks. If you want to try the sheet prior to the pull request being merged, you can get the sheet from my github -&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; Hero6Playable Character Sheet The API script is already available on the Roll20 api repository.&nbsp; You can select it from the api dropdown in a game's Settings, or you can go get it yourself here -&gt;&nbsp; Hero6Playable API Script
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Darren said: ... prior to the pull request being merged... As there already exist a sheet for the system, it won't likely be accepted with the current policy being only accepting sheets for new systems or improvements for old, I linked on github to a recently declined pull request that you might want to read. If this is a 100% improvement over the old one, consider later contacting the author of the old one to het yours to replace the old one(in the event of this not getting accepted). The did so with the new Godboind sheet just recently.

Edited 1529481329
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Andreas J. said: As there already exist a sheet for the system, it won't likely be accepted with the current policy being only accepting sheets for new systems or improvements for old, This really isnt the case. New rewrites completely replace old sheets all the time - have a look at the history of the Pendragon sheet for example. The current version is worse in several ways while better in others than the one that existed a couple years back. But its a completely different sheet, maintained by a different developer, and the original was replaced quickly and quietly. For official &nbsp;sheets, maintained by the roll20 devs themselves, you cant replace them. But most sheets are community created, and the official policy there is described in&nbsp; a post in the Godbound Sheet thread : "There is no official roll20 godbound sheet. Only a community made one. The sheet author just needs to submit it to the repo and explain to the dev in charge of the PRs why it should replace, or exist side by side with, the current one. This can be done in the pr itself or by emailing <a href="mailto:team@roll20.net" rel="nofollow">team@roll20.net</a>"
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
G G said: ...New rewrites completely replace old sheets all the time ... Sorry I was unclear, that's more or less what I meant. Darren had submitted a pull request for a new sheet, not modify the old one. So that specific pull request won't likely be approved, as I've seen with similar attempts adding new sheets for systems instead of improving or replacing the old one. Sure, that comment by Roll20 does make it more likely to have more than one sheet exist side by side, with convincing argument, but it's of course just a rewording of the following part, that few authors of duplicates read in advance: Roll20 Character Sheets - Guidelines Don't Duplicate Work We only need one sheet for each system. For some major systems like Pathfinder or D&D, we may allow more than one sheet if they are different enough, but contact us in advance before you spend a lot of time working on a new sheet for a game we already have a sheet for. We should focus on improving existing sheets, not creating totally new ones. Along those lines, this is a community effort, so if you want to help improve an existing sheet, just jump in and do so.
Darren
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I'm fine with either.&nbsp; Side-by-side or replace.&nbsp; The issue will be whether there is anyone else out there using the old sheet that wants to continue using it.&nbsp; Or the possibility that users don't like my sheet.&nbsp; Imagine I submit to replace and the majority of feedback that comes back is, "I prefer the old sheet." I'll go along with whatever the Roll20 teams advises me to do.&nbsp; It's too bad that character sheets don't support versioning the way api's do.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Andreas J. said: G G said: ...New rewrites completely replace old sheets all the time ... Sorry I was unclear, that's more or less what I meant. Darren had submitted a pull request for a new sheet, not modify the old one. So that specific pull request won't likely be approved, as I've seen with similar attempts adding new sheets for systems instead of improving or replacing the old one. Sure, that comment by Roll20 does make it more likely to have more than one sheet exist side by side, with convincing argument, but it's of course just a rewording of the following part, that few authors of duplicates read in advance: Roll20 Character Sheets - Guidelines Don't Duplicate Work We only need one sheet for each system. For some major systems like Pathfinder or D&D, we may allow more than one sheet if they are different enough, but contact us in advance before you spend a lot of time working on a new sheet for a game we already have a sheet for. We should focus on improving existing sheets, not creating totally new ones. Along those lines, this is a community effort, so if you want to help improve an existing sheet, just jump in and do so. I know we are saying very similar things, but we are saying them in very different ways. You message suggested that they are more restrictive than they actually are, in my opinion. I think they tend more to permissiveness than restrictiveness.&nbsp;I've seen that Don't Duplicate Work notice, but as a counter point, look at how many games have multiple sheets, even ignoring the ones maintained by the roll20 devs. The message I posted from the godbound thread seems to be a more accurate representation of how they act, and I wanted to give Darren a more encouraging message.&nbsp;

Edited 1529520213
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Yes, it seems I'm more on the pessimistic side regarding this matter, and apparently read&nbsp; different responses as well, in this one most duplicates are claimed to be from times before the policy was formed. This is the third sheet I encountered recently in more or less the same situation, so I might have also forgot to suggest the "obvious", to integrate the new sheet as part of the old one.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Thanks for that update, Andreas. That's a bit depressing, considering how heavy some sheets are (many, many stats, etc) and how sensible it would be to let people have streamlined sheets or sheets for specific purposes without overloading existing sheets.