Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Ever changing Microphone levels

I'm reopening this discussion because the thread on it was about 2 years old. I was hoping people had come up with better solutions. I refer to how Windows/Roll20 will automatically adjust microphone levels during game play depending on some kind of volume feedback it's getting (I think)This feature cannot be turned off through the Windows OS. Which just seems nuts to me. And I think the Roll 20 built-in chat confounds the issue. I'm trying to record our sessions but my mic levels jump all over the place with a tendency towards be too quiet. Has anyone found a good solution? One that allows the use of Roll20's chat But I also know some people use different chat software (Google Hangouts, Skype) Which do you guys use? One that is easy and has consistent microphone volume.

Edited 1526411207
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
You can right click on your sound icon down in the bottom right side of your windows desktop and choose sound from the popup menu. You then choose communications tab and change your setting to what you want. I usually choose "Do nothing". There are other setting tabs you can tinker with also.
Yeah? And this works for you? I've monkied with most of the settings in Windows, but nothing seemed to work. Are you using to built-in Roll 20 chat?
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Have you gone Sounds >playback devices>microphone properties then examine the various settings? On the advance tab there is a checkmark box that allows applications to take exclusive control of the device. I think that is default selected so try uncheckmarking it. I have used the built in occasionally but have not ran a game for a while (GM burnout but that is a different subject).
Yes. I have done that. It does not work. I have even read Windows forums posts that say that that checkbox doesn't work. It may be roll 20's fault. I do not know. Most everything that I have read says that it is impossible to disable that feature in Windows. However, people are uploading clean recordings so they must be doing something.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
More than likely streamers and such use 3rd party software (that discussion is outside Roll20's purview and is consider off topic). Sorry I could not help you.
Well I did ask that question as well. What people use for third party chat that is easy and reliable?
Does anyone else have any suggestions?
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Skype, Discord, Google Hangouts, AnyMeeting, Meetings.io,  TinyChat, Teamspeak... there's a broad array of voice-chat and full AV-chat options available, but that's really outside the scope of Roll20 forum discussions. From the Roll20 Community Code of Conduct : The Roll20 Forums exist to discuss topics directly related to the use of the Roll20 program. Anything that more fittingly could be discussed on another website SHOULD be discussed there. Here are some good places to discuss this topic: /r/rpg /r/LFG /r/gamemasters