Advertisement Create a free account

Archive Questions

1526467761
Kastion
Pro
API Scripter
If I have a VERY large campaign, and after the players go through a combat encounter I archive those specific NPC sheets (Pathfinder Community Sheet) Should I see an improvement in game response time and less lag? Is it a simple matter to snatch a sheet back from archive? What happens if I have a token referencing a sheet and I archive that sheet? Will the token lose the "Represents" field and it will be empty and the token will remain there with no sheet attached to it? I read somewhere someone archived handouts but still had an active handout that linked to archived handouts when clicking the text links and it worked. So does archived sheets just not load up until they are called upon? Do they even still retain the ability to be referenced and represent a token? So many questions I know but I'm still fairly new, trying to optimize my game, and want to know more about archiving.
1526468342
Ziechael
Roll20 Mod Team
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Ok... here goes: Should I see an improvement in game response time and less lag? No, archived sheets are still loaded when the game loads, it's mainly for keeping the clutter down in your journal view. Is it a simple matter to snatch a sheet back from archive?  Very much so, once you have archived a sheet you will get an 'archived characters' section at the bottom which you can click to bring up a list of archived journals for restoring. What happens if I have a token referencing a sheet and I archive that sheet? Nothing, it will function as normal :) Will the token lose the "Represents" field and it will be empty and the token will remain there with no sheet attached to it? No, the sheet continues as normal including default tokens, existing tokens made from that sheet will remain also. I read somewhere someone archived handouts but still had an active handout that linked to archived handouts when clicking the text links and it worked. So does archived sheets just not load up until they are called upon? Do they even still retain the ability to be referenced and represent a token? A common trick is to have dozens of handouts archived but accessible using links in a single visible handout as you've read. With regards to character sheets, since they are still loaded with the game you can still reference them using chat commands or token interactions yes. To increase game performance by reducing the number of journals you need to have another game which you store unused sheets in so you can delete them from the main game (as a pro you can use the transmogrifier to bring them back to your main game with ease). Doing this will remove the various options open to you with archiving however, attribute calls will not work, linked tokens won't function etc etc.
1526469633

Edited 1526469864
Kastion
Pro
API Scripter
So I'm better off deleting unused sheets of mooks I don't want to keep around to improve game performance then? EDIT: I just want to add, I archived a sheet, and it was no longer "representing" the token tied to it prior to archiving. For some reason it gets set to "None" when I archive. Not sure if this is an isolated issue or a global problem.
1526470884
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
Kastion said: EDIT: I just want to add, I archived a sheet, and it was no longer "representing" the token tied to it prior to archiving. For some reason it gets set to "None" when I archive. Not sure if this is an isolated issue or a global problem. To be clear: this was a token on the board when you archived the sheet? I have no idea what the proper behaviour is supposed to be here, just asking for clarity. Had you set up a default token for the sheet, and tried dragging that back out? i think that should work properly.
1526471033

Edited 1526471268
Ziechael
Roll20 Mod Team
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Removing sheets from a game (either via the vault/transmogrifier/deletion) is a sure fire way to improve performance especially when using sheets that are attribute heavy. I see what you mean about the represents thing though... how odd, never noticed that before. Shift+double-clicking on the token still opens the archived sheet for me but the token claims that it represents nothing... yet can still reference attributes with @{selected/target syntax... will prod the devs about that one?! Edit: restoring the archived sheet restores the link to the token which seems to have always been there despite it's claims otherwise lol
1526471870
Kastion
Pro
API Scripter
G G said: To be clear: this was a token on the board when you archived the sheet? I have no idea what the proper behaviour is supposed to be here, just asking for clarity. Yes that's correct.  Ziechael said: Removing sheets from a game (either via the vault/transmogrifier/deletion) is a sure fire way to improve performance especially when using sheets that are attribute heavy. I see what you mean about the represents thing though... how odd, never noticed that before. Shift+double-clicking on the token still opens the archived sheet for me but the token claims that it represents nothing... yet can still reference attributes with @{selected/target syntax... will prod the devs about that one?! Edit: restoring the archived sheet restores the link to the token which seems to have always been there despite it's claims otherwise lol Cool I'll have to try that out. Interesting that it remembers but displays that it doesn't then displays that it does represent the sheet once un-archived. When I archived I just assumed I lost access to the sheet completely. Guess I was wrong.
1526472107
Kastion
Pro
API Scripter
Ziechael said: Removing sheets from a game (either via the vault/transmogrifier/deletion) is a sure fire way to improve performance especially when using sheets that are attribute heavy. I've heard about the transmogrifier. What is the "vault"? 
1526472537
Pat S.
Pro
Sheet Author
Kastion said: Ziechael said: Removing sheets from a game (either via the vault/transmogrifier/deletion) is a sure fire way to improve performance especially when using sheets that are attribute heavy. I've heard about the transmogrifier. What is the "vault"?  The character vault allows you to store your own Characters so that you can use them in multiple games without the need to re-create them from scratch each time.
1526476944
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Kastion said: So I'm better off deleting unused sheets of mooks I don't want to keep around to improve game performance then? EDIT: I just want to add, I archived a sheet, and it was no longer "representing" the token tied to it prior to archiving. For some reason it gets set to "None" when I archive. Not sure if this is an isolated issue or a global problem. Probably this is more of a display “feature”. The list of characters it’s possible to select is likely generated out of all the non-archived characters in the journal (it isn’t possible to select an archived character to represent), so when displaying the represented character, it doesn’t find the character with it’s represents id in the list and thus displays “none”. Upon unarchiving the character, it shows up in the list again and is displayed instead of none.
1526478529

Edited 1526478556
keithcurtis
Roll20 Mod Team
Ziechael said: Ok... here goes: A common trick is to have dozens of handouts archived but accessible using links in a single visible handout as you've read.  That should be in the  Stupid Tricks Thread . Can an archived handout be revealed to players?
1526478962
Kastion
Pro
API Scripter
keithcurtis said: Ziechael said: Ok... here goes: A common trick is to have dozens of handouts archived but accessible using links in a single visible handout as you've read.  That should be in the  Stupid Tricks Thread . Can an archived handout be revealed to players? As far as I know only by linking it within a non-archived handout. There's no way to access the "Show to Players" button once it is archived. I actually learned about this from YouTube tutorials on Roll20.