Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Dynamic Lighting settings controllable by players (GM Toggles it on)

Edited 1527446867
I always feel bad asking the GM "Hey, can you give my character a torch" and then having to list off all the stats for my light source. It feels like I'm unnecessarily hassling the GMs I play with. Can we have an option where the GM can toggle "Players can control Dynamic Lighting Settings on tokens they control" in their dynamic lighting controls? Or maybe in the settings for the Campaign? This includes all the controls the GM has, even the ability for only that player to be able to see their own light (Example: Darkvision 60 ft) P.S. IT REEEEALLY SUCKS IF THE GM GOES THROUGH THE TROUBLE OF GIVING ME A TORCH, BUT THE TORCH IS SET WRONG!!! AND THEN I HAVE TO CORRECT THEM AND TELL THEM THE NUMBERS AGAIN AND THEY STILL MESS UP AND IT'S REALLY STRESSFUL /rant Giving the players the control over their own lighting system is a great way to streamline the user experience! But if a GM wants to be super secret squirrel about it, the GM can just toggle that setting off, and everything goes to how it is now.

Edited 1527607923
Something that you can do as a gm would be to create a character sheet for a torch an set up the token for the torch for the character sheet. Then when your players ask for a torch they can simply drag the torch out of the journal and move it around as they need it.  Does it mean that your players now have to control multiple tokens? Yes, but the GM already has to do that and more. I make my players deal with it. If a problem occurred when creating the torch token, it would be the same process as making a change to a character token. Update the token, save the token as the token for the character sheet, re-drag the token from the Journal to the VTT. However, this is a workaround for your specific scenario. Giving players access to the Vision Settings of their controllable Tokens would still be extremely beneficial.
Kyle G. said: Something that you can do as a gm would be to create a character sheet for a torch an set up the token for the torch for the character sheet. Then when your players ask for a torch they can simply drag the torch out of the journal and move it around as they need it.  Does it mean that your players now have to control multiple tokens? Yes, but the GM already has to do that and more. I make my players deal with it. If a problem occurred when creating the torch token, it would be the same process as making a change to a character token. Update the token, save the token as the token for the character sheet, re-drag the token from the Journal to the VTT. However, this is a workaround for your specific scenario. Giving players access to the Vision Settings of their controllable Tokens would still be extremely beneficial. Thanks for the fantastic work around idea! I will pass this on to my GMs! In the meantime it will work... but I still would love to to be able to have the controls for lighting systems on tokens I have control over.
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .