Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Granting Camera/Mic permission != turn on immediately

Please change the permission question to not automatically start up camera/mic. When initially setting up, this is the first time granting permission has automatically activated my camera and mic, which is kind of concerning. Why does this happen? I was fine, but what if this happens to someone who's indecent, etc?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I think this is unavoidable. Granting permission to use the camera is set at browser level. I.e. you are granting permission to that browser to use the camera. The browser doesn't know to ask permission until a request comes through to turn the camera on. AFAIK, you can't tell the browser: "I give you permission to use the camera at some future date". The triggering action for the browser to use the camera is a request to actually use it.
Tetsuo
Forum Champion
What Keith said is spot on. The site sends a request to the browser to use your mic/camera. The Browser's permission settings determine what happens next. In Chrome: At the top right, click More Settings. At the bottom, click Advanced . Under "Privacy and security," click Content settings . Click Camera or Microphone . Turn Ask before accessing on or off. In Firefox: Type about:permissions into the address bar On the left-hand side, search Roll20 and click on it On the right-hand side, there should be Use Camera and use Microphone options Set these for how you want roll20 to use your devices. Hope this clears it up :)

Edited 1529986654
Well that's unfortunate. Glad there's a workaround, though! Thanks guys.