Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Pop-Up Text Boxes for DM use?

Hello, I have been perusing the wiki looking for something like this, but haven't found it. It very well may exist, and I just can't find it. I have been putting my own maps into my games and labeling the rooms on the map using the DM layer. Then while playing, I refer to the module text for the info on that room, ie description, mobs, treasures etc etc. It would be cool if I put that information directly on the map. Like, in the form of a button on the DM layer. Like, put a button in each room as a sort of "Tag" much like Numbering a room. The button could have a Label, like "Office" "Bedroom" Torture Chamber" and when the DM clicks on it, a pop up or slide out or something could open and have the text for the room. This would keep me from having to have a printed module on my desk or a PDF open in another window. Does something like this already exist? TIA
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
The simplest way is to create an invisible token (using a blank PNG), but set a GM-only aura on it so that only you can see it. Write the description into a token bubble, and call it with a whisper. I would create a dummy character with a token ability on it that calls the whisper macro. /w gm @{selected|bar1} There are several other ways to achieve this, some using the API. I was sure there was a stupid tricks entry on this, but I couldn't find one.
Been using this software 3 games a week for over 2 years. How have I never thought of this? Genius. <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoptofKbQ04" rel="nofollow">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoptofKbQ04</a>
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Just posted a huge pair of posts on this over on Stupid Tricks. Way more info. Invisible Tokens Invisible Tokens - The Notes Token
Thanks! That is super helpful!