Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[Interest Check] being paid to run 5e campaigns?

Hello everyone, i have been tossing around the idea of running 5e games for money (possibly more then 5e.) now i am not ready to yet but depending i might make this my main goal. before i can even consider this though i would like to know how many players out their would pay? and how much per session would you? same question gms who would run them but mainly to players. i do have a ball park price in my head per week. i know that it also depends on how experienced you are and how well known you are. with that this would be not well known but moderately experienced. sessions running 3 to 4 hrs. what if it was for 3.5e? pathfinder?

Edited 1529039116
DXWarlock
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I've been tossing around the idea of paying for a one off session just to see whats out there and get fresh ideas from a 'top teir' experince. But only reason I would be paying is I expect a level of play, preparation, setup, and GM engagement and immersion that I just cannot get from most free sessions. If I was to pay, I expect it be on par with, or above the level of the best gaming I have gotten with normal 'average' groups.  Not being rude or unreasonable I hope..At the end I want to be able to go "Wow that was worth it" and not "I could have gotten that level of gameplay and GM skill for free". Not sure if my pay range is off or low. But I cant see myself wanting to pay more than $10 tops for a one shot that would need to be at least 4-6 hours minimum of actual play time (4-5 players at $10 isnt bad pay to enjoy your hobby as a GM to me). That's not counting time waiting for everyone, and small talk before hand, etc its the actual time from when I am in character to when we stop roleplaying. I see it like going to see a movie. I paid my $8 to see the movie, time spent waiting for it to begin isnt part of the experience I paid for. As far as the game ruleset, that isnt that of a big deal to me. 3.5, pathfinder, 5.0, old school 2.0, gurps, warhammer, anything really..all are secondary to the actual enjoyment the GM should produce of being in that worldset. My expectaions may or may not be outside of the norm range, but just my 2 cents into the pot :)
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Just remember: Currently, paid Game Mastering is allowed without prior approval from Roll20. Roll20 is not responsible for any payment transactions and cannot enforce any private arrangements. This is not the place for discussions over whether this should be allowed or not or to be derogatory towards those who pay for GMing / those who accept pay for GMing.  We'll be keeping an eye on this thread, so keep it clean and respectful. :)
I think if the product is good, then there should be a market for it.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
For those who are interested in the subject, this has been brought up before in previous threads, a quick search might turn up some valuable insights and opinions.

Edited 1529499353
I have not decided yet whether i will embark on a paid membership to roll20. In contemplating that idea i think about the possibility of paying to play. I feel similarly to dxwarlock above. When paying for entertainment a certain level of quality/fulfillment is expected. Of course everybody's opinion of that quality will be different but all will expect to get more than you would from a similar, free, experience. In addition the length of the sessions would be an important factor. With 4+hours feeling acceptable to myself. DMing is great fun but let's face facts. It can be ALOT of work when taken seriously. As mentioned, setting is far less important than the quality of the experience. It should be noted that to have a  great experience does not necessarily require those involved to be experienced . Bottom line is i certainly would be interested in paying for one shots. I cannot see myself ever paying more than $10 for a fantastic session. $5 sounds safer when entering into a group previously unknown to me.
Surok
Roll20 Production Team
It's a supply and demand issue. Based on my own estimates there is a 30 to 1 player to DM ratio. There is simply not enough DMs for all the players out there.