Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Whisper table macros to DM

I have a set of macros set up to roll on the Madness tables.  I'd like the player to be able to roll on the table and whisper their result to me.  I'd like both the player and myself (which I assume whispering always does) to see the result.  I am using an API as well.  Here is the Macro:   !rtm Long-Term-Madness myself\ What can I do to turn the result into a whisper?
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Which API script are you using?
Rollable Table Macros
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
The output is handled by the API in this case, with the caveat that whatever is in the macro is what is sent to chat.   There isn't a way in that API to change the recipient.  You could adjust the macros themselves to whisper to the GM, but only the GM would see the results because the sender would be the API, not the character running the script.  Since the output is ultimately from the macros, there isn't a good way to make this output to more than one person, but fewer than all people.
Ok, gotcha.  If I were to strip out the API, would there be a way to do this?
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Yes.  If the Macros all had /w gm in them, then the player activating them directly would see the message, and the GM would get it.  What breaks this above is that the API is the "player" activating it, so the player running the API script doesn't see that whisper text. You could technically write another chat handler into that API script that would detect the whispered message to the GM and then send the same output back to the Player that last called the API, but it would be devilishly complicated to get right.  Depending on what the Macros are doing, it would be easier to translate THEM into an API script. =D
Thanks!