Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Why is the aspect ratio weird when I upload an image for a map?

Edited 1529379962
Okay, so I have a map I made in Illwinters Floorplan. Its 40x20. I know Illwinters floor plan has its squares set to 64x64 and Roll20 has its squares set to 70x70. I increase the maps size by 9.38% to offset this difference before uploading to Roll20. I upload the image and there still a huge amount of horizontal dead space. The image looks fine, it doesn't look warped, so I don't think its aspect ration is changed, so I cannot wrap my head around why the aspect ration for my image uploading and the Page in my campaign is so wildly off. Its entirely possible that my math was just garbage, but even then, this problem is consistent regardless of what the original size of the image was, aspect ratio, ect ect. There is always a decent amount of dead space and I cannot wrap my head around why. So, why does this happen and how can I fix it? Its not a huge deal, but I'd like the objects I've placed on the map to actually line up with the squares in Roll20.
Pantoufle
Pro
Sheet Author
Translator
Hello, do you upload it at first on the token layer or map mayer?  If on token layer it will adjust to the grid and often be resized :)
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
9.38% is not much. You can't just snap it to 40 x 20 units? Also, there's a display bug which can cause it to appear if there is a whole lot of unused map area if your map image is right up against the edge and at certain magnifications. Sometimes it's helpful to put a 1 or 2 unit dead space around your map. If you fog of war the map (not advanced fog of war), and leave that middle area visible, you wind up with an easy storage space for waiting tokens and don't have to make trips to the GM layer to get them.
I am uploading it to the Map layer. Simply snapping it to the 40 x 20 unit grid destorys the aspect ratio, I end up with a few squares of horizontal space and the map ends up way smaller than I wanted. Fortunately, I managed to figure it out eventually on my own. After increasing the size by 9.38%, I just take the new dimensions in pixels and divide by 70. That'll give me exactly the grid size I need in Roll20 to have everything light up perfectly. The map ended up slightly bigger than I made it for, by exactly 30 feet in each direction, but the grid placement from Illwinter carrier over perfectly to Roll20, which is just so satisfying.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Technically, anything with an aspect ration of 2:1 should snap to the size you need (40x20), though it may be over or under the ideal resolution.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
You can also right click the graphic and set dimensions on it. See: <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Manipulating_Graphics#Set_" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Manipulating_Graphics#Set_</a>... That's what I would suggest rather than making the grid smaller.&nbsp; The Token interface gets a bit strange when you use a grid smaller than 1.0.