Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Politely replacing a character sheet

Edited 1529812060
Darren
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I've completed a new character sheet and submitted a pull request for it.  A comment was left that Roll20 has a policy of wanting only one sheet per game system and that I should be replacing (overwriting) the old sheet.  That seems harsh.  I mean, what if my sheet turns out to be less popular than the original?  So what are my options? First, I want to reach out to the original author and see if he's ok with me overwriting his sheet.  I don't know how to contact him.  GitHub shows the contributors for the old sheet, but I can't find a way to send a message to the contributors.  I know that GitHub accounts have associated email addresses, but none of the contributors has one listed publicly. The next method is to just post a message here on this forum and ask if there are any objections to me overwriting the old sheet.  In this case, the old sheet is the  Hero Games 6e character sheet, and my proposed new sheet was tentatively named the  Hero 6 Playable character sheet. Honestly, this is a problem that would be better solved if Roll20 supported versions on character sheets the same way they do with api scripts.  Then I could just keep the old sheet as version 1, and my new sheet could be version 2. So how should I resolve this? Darren
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Here's the sheet author: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/users/66136/esampson" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/users/66136/esampson</a> I would start by sending a pm and see if they are open to allowing your sheet to "replace" their version.&nbsp; Of course, roll20 would ultimately need to make the call on if this would be acceptable.&nbsp; There are 3 active sheets available for 5e and Pathfinder.&nbsp; Maybe there's a case to be made for multiple Hero sheets as well.&nbsp; Good luck.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Darren said: Honestly, this is a problem that would be better solved if Roll20 supported versions on character sheets the same way they do with api scripts.&nbsp; Then I could just keep the old sheet as version 1, and my new sheet could be version 2. For your suggestions, we offer the Suggestions & Ideas forum, which is based on voting from the whole community. Please review our Forum Voting wiki page for more information on how voting works, and our Suggestions & Ideas Posting Guidelines for the added expectations above and beyond our standard Code of Conduct .
Darren
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Ziechael said: For your suggestions, we offer the Suggestions & Ideas forum, which is based on voting from the whole community. Done.&nbsp; I posted&nbsp; it as a suggestion per your recommendation.

Edited 1529886989
Gold
Forum Champion
From recent personal experience, there is upheaval and conflict generated in the Roll20 AD&D 2E community by a replacing of the character sheet & Roll20 Team telling Aqua Alex that his solution to satisfy all (Simplified Sheet) was refused for the Community Created Character Sheets repository. Currently people who preferred the old sheet are stuck without access to the feature we had come to depend on, for Roll20 games, and so many games are forced into a sheet "Upgrade" that contains fields & playstyles that some didn't want introduced into our games. It is a chaotic and time-consuming situation.&nbsp; All of the Players, DM's, and Sheet Authors, and no doubt the Devs have the best of intentions, but it is proving very difficult to navigate the rule of not adding more Character Sheets for different settings, purposes, or play styles.