Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

NPC Never whisper global toggle in game settings not working

Surok
Roll20 Production Team
I set it to never whisper but all the npcs (unless manually set in the sheet) whisper their rolls. I tried making copy of the game with the setting I wanted and changed them before launching the game but that didn't work either.
Changing the Game Settings will only apply to characters created after  the setting was changed, not pre-existing characters. In order to get these settings to update existing entries you to click the Apply Default Settings  button in the Player Settings (inside the VTT right chat menu, settings tab, all the way at the bottom of the menu). Note that this will apply the settings to all  existing characters, including PCs. So if the change is not meant for PCs you would need to manually reset the settings for them, but there should be far fewer PCs than NPCs.
Surok
Roll20 Production Team
Ok thanks. I'll make a copy and test it out.
Surok
Roll20 Production Team
It didn't work. It did have one box to check "auto roll damage and crits" which is a setting I have besides the default. It applied that setting but it didn't change the whisper setting. Then I changed the game setting outside the launched game to "always to GM" and then that box appeared when I applied the default setting within the launched game. This changed the NPC setting to whisper on those NPCs I manually changed to not whisper. I went back out changed the game setting back "Never whisper" and tried to apply that setting but no check box appeared, only the "auto roll damage and crits".
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
What sheet are you using? Does it have a companion script? Some have toggles that override the campaign settings page.
Surok
Roll20 Production Team
I’m using 5e OGL sheets. It’s also the Storm Kings Thunder campaign module. I’m not running any API scripts.
Hi Surok, Could you give this a try? Change the default setting to any option, and save. Go in again and select the desired setting, then save again. In the VTT, go to the experimental features section and apply default settings. An alternate way to try, would be to go into the VTT experimental features and apply default settings each time you change the default setting.
Surok
Roll20 Production Team
I tried that Drespar didn't work. Also it seems the default setting for campaign modules is set to always whisper for the NPCs. Is this as intended?