Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Survival vs Nature in 5e

Hey folks. Wasn't 100% sure where to post this, so figured I'll get the guys who pay to answer this. So, having a small debate with one of my players. Basically, during the game last night, they wanted to look for specific parts from a fallen enemy. I asked them to run an Intelligence (Nature) check to do so. Here's where the problem comes in. Basically, my reasoning was that you would need knowledge of the creature to beget able to properly, carefully and skilfully take it apart (reason why vets have to study). His counter argument is for the practical side of the Wisdom (Survival) skill. So, my question is which would you go for? The theoretical knowledge of Nature or the practical knowledge of Survival?

Edited 1529861806
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi AJ C. This is a question better suited for reddit or rpg.stackexchange. The terms of use prohibit non-Roll20 related topics, and unfortunately, rules discussion falls under that umbrella.
OK... correct me if I'm wrong, but Roll20 is set up for table-top games and RPGs. So, wouldn't a question regarding a ruling on one of these games, which is set up and run on Roll20, be related to Roll20?
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
No.  The forums would quickly get convoluted with game specific questions which is not what the roll20 forums are used for.  I believe it has been suggested to include a general off-topic forum here, but it has never materialized.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
It would be the equivalent to asking for driving directions from New York to Los Angeles on a site devoted to car repair. It keeps the site focused and useful for its intended purpose.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
As stated the forums exist only to discuss the VTT itself, certainly all systems are within that scope but only so far as how they run on the VTT, not in general sorry. Vince said: I believe it has been suggested to include a general off-topic forum here, but it has never materialized. Such a thing was  a feature in the mists of time, but ~4 years ago it was realised that it was unsustainable for such a small team of developers and their moderator volunteers to cater for.