Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Need a solution for MORE Zooming

I need to show some gargantuan maps, with even more hi-res images within it. I could do this with the infinite zoom of MapTools but have issues zooming too far on Roll20. 

Edited 1529937086
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The standard advice is to break your maps up into multiple smaller maps and put each on its own page. I havent tried any really big maps, and i know there's at least one user who runs big maps without issue, but conventional wisdom is that you'll experience lag.
Surok
Roll20 Production Team
Yeah I would be careful making massive maps. It may work on your computer but maybe not with some of your players. I've ran into this problem before. If much of the things on the map are static ie part of the background then consider flatting the map by either turning all the images into one single image. Either create the flat map outside Roll20 or take screen shots and stitch them together in Paint or Gimp then import back into Roll20.
For this game I need to ability to zoom all the way out from the size of a city down to an individual person. 
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I think that's asking a bit much of roll20, to be honest. Note that most apps that let you zoom in and out a long way fake the effect, by showing you different resolution images at different zoom levels.  The best admittedly clunky system is to have different resolution images, for the different scales you need to work at.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I used to use svg maps for this purpose, but that is not a format that Roll20 supports. Even Google maps uses different tile sets for each resolution and has a resolution cap on top of that. GG's solution is probably the most workable.
That is rough. I can do it on MapTool without any issue, but its networking is a nightmare, and will not run on tablets. 
Gold
Forum Champion
I understand the desire for this and the kind of zooming that you describe (Vector graphics like). Roll20 Zoom goes from 10% to 200%.&nbsp; That is the range, currently. Roll20 already uses the resolution-switching tech that Keith and GG mentioned.&nbsp; When you zoom out to 10%, Roll20 is loading a "Thumbnail" or "Med" size version rather than "Original" or "Max".&nbsp; Roll20 also smartly divides up large graphics into sub-sections that can load independently when only a portion of a graphic is in viewport of the individual user. While the suggestion is valid, and more zoom could be added (1%? 400%?), or maybe support for vector graphic formats added (SVG), for now it is a future-feature at best. Community members can suggest workarounds. I have a couple workarounds for you but they aren't going to suit exactly what you wanted to do. One method is to put 2 maps on your Page, and the upper map is like a zoomed-out city map, where you just put little dots to represent positions.&nbsp; Below that on the Page, is your regular size (higher resolution) city map, which you would not be able to see entirely at 20% zoom, thus allowing you more zoom on the lower map, while more bird's eye view on the upper map (at the same viewport zoom level).&nbsp; A lot of video games have this, with the added advantage of the zoomed-out map showing continually as a PnP (picture in picture) at one corner of the game, letting you see red dots for enemies and green dots for players (for example).&nbsp; In the case of Roll20 it won't be a PnP that sticks in a position as you pan around the screen. It will just be at the top of the page and everyone either have to scroll up there and look, or the GM can shift-Ping to Force viewports to center on that view. Note that shift-Ping technique does NOT control the player's viewport's zoom, only the centering. A different workaround that's related to the above, but sort-of-the-opposite, you would put your main city overview as the Center big map on a page, and reserve Margins around the sides of it to place zoomed-in graphics of specific Encounter Scenes, sometimes called "Battle Maps", such as a single building interior or a street scene.&nbsp; When the action moves to that level of zoominess, GM would shift-Ping to force players view to the current encounter map which is initially already more zoomed. A different workaround method (also likely not satisfactory to your game plans, but anyway).. GM can use Shift-Z on a selected Person token to pop it up to full size viewing in a lightbox overlay in Roll20.&nbsp; You can use this technique to show higher resolution of what the People (Tokens) look like, far beyond the powers of 200% zoom in many cases.&nbsp; It can make a Token potentially full screen.&nbsp; This method is very nice for showing the Token graphic in great detail, but for Thadrine's game it may not be a solution because this method does not incorporate the tactical position of the token in the context of the city-street scene; this method is just for a graphical pop-over that gives players a better view of the NPC's face and clothing or such details on the token art rather than in-situ . Yet another workaround method, put your City Map (zoomed out) into a Handout.&nbsp; Players can access it at anytime.&nbsp; Players can click the Magnifying Glass on the Handout pic to full-screen the image.&nbsp; It loses pan and zoom tools, but can be full screened and could be Saved To Desktop as an image by the players, then allowing them to use Photoshop, GIMP, or Paint to zoom in more, depending on graphic resolution.&nbsp; In this method you would have a more zoomed-in city on the Page, and have the zoomed-out overview on the Handout. The most advisable workaround, in consideration of bandwidth and Player's computer resources, would be what GG said with dividing the map into sections (like say Neighborhoods, Districts, Quarters) and put each section onto its own Roll20 Page. Some wiki docs, <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Tabletop_Overview#Pinging_" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Tabletop_Overview#Pinging_</a>... <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Optimizing_Roll20_Performa" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Optimizing_Roll20_Performa</a>... <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Image_Best_Practices_for_R" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Image_Best_Practices_for_R</a>... <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Keyboard_Shortcuts" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Keyboard_Shortcuts</a> Hope this helps. There are still other approaches after all this. Feel free to PM me if you would like someone to come into your game and help experiment with sizes. The largest Page sizes that I have personally run in Roll20 are up to 220x280 in units size, and yes this does start to encounter lag on lots of computers (starting lower end first, and entirely dependent on the contents of the Page, how much graphics, whether Dynamic Light or Advanced Fog of War is on or off, really big pages --- above 50x50? --- usually do not work well with AFoW and also start to get laggy faster when you have DL on).
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Gold, those are all awesome suggestions! This sounds like some Stupid Trick stuff.
Thanks for all the suggestions.&nbsp;
Surok
Roll20 Production Team
Good suggestions Gold. I sometimes have the large map in the background and put other maps that are supposed to be the "zoomed up" version in the GM layer and switch them to the map layer. Kinda like this. Sometimes I leave them in their full size and sometimes I shrink them down so I can see the map. I have also made a separate game for the players to access to see the large world map whenever they want to.