Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Dynamic Fog of War

Heya guys, Just wanted to bring something forward that was basically the one thing I feel this platform is missing to be perfect- a dynamic fog of war system. This is not the same as line of sight or dynamic lighting, but could potentially interact with them. Basically my suggestion is to have a system similar to what Warcraft: Orcs and Humans had. Let the players start out with a black map. As they explore, the terrain shows up and tokens show up. But as they move away from things (either a certain distance or within their personal light range perhaps?) the tokens disappear, but the terrain doesn't. Perhaps the terrain could just get a light grayish shadow over it instead. Let me know if I'm not being clear enough. I feel this would be a fairly monumental improvement for gameplay. Thanks in advance for your time.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
This is fairly common to the RTS genre (some variant of this is present in every RTS I know of), not just Warcraft. You're not the first person to suggest it. I'd love more impressive FoW/LoS interaction. On the other hand, I've written the code for an RTS's FoW before, and it's a pain in the butt. I don't know if I want to inflict that on Riley. =) (Some of the pain-in-the-butt part is already done, with the DL we already have, but that's not the end of the line for RTS-style FoW.)
Aye, I certainly don't figure on it being easy, but I do think it's a good next step. I'm curious what they're working on now; as you can see I'm currently supporter rank so I don't have access to the Mentor forum, is there a place I can go to see their roadmap/patch status?
+1 on this. I don't think it's currently easy to do (putting a small source of light as players visit rooms and putting any backstabbing creatures on GM layer is a solution, but it's tedious and error-prone), but leaving the already visited parts dark is disruptive to play sometimes (as players try to remember what they've already visited)
+1 This should be put to the roadmap but since it seems that it would require a lot of work (thanks Brian to let us mortals know this) it shouldn't be a priority.