Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[AD&D 2E] I need Macro help!

I must be doing something wrong. I have been trying to get the new built in cast macro on the AD&D 2e character sheet to work, but all I get is a parroted name or a string of error messages. I've tried everything I can think of. Anyone willing and able to lend a hand?
Gold
Forum Champion
Is this regarding the Simple Sheet for 2E, recently updated by AquaAlex?
Ya, I think the spells page is a great idea, but I just can't get the dang thing to work. I talked to Aqua directly (I was the one that pointed out the problems with the gear update) and he told me that it was because I always keep macros on the sheet instead of the collections tab and that I had to use a "%" instead of a "#" but I still can't get it to work.
Gold
Forum Champion
Big John said: Ya, I think the spells page is a great idea, but I just can't get the dang thing to work. I talked to Aqua directly (I was the one that pointed out the problems with the gear update) and he told me that it was because I always keep macros on the sheet instead of the collections tab and that I had to use a "%" instead of a "#" but I still can't get it to work. Ok, sounds like you're making the macros under the Abilities & Attributes tab. Could you post an example of the macro code you're working on? You can use the Code style to post code in the forums
Yes, I have my players build their macros on their character sheets so If they can't make it to a game they can be taken over by another player. The field I'm trying to get working says your supposed to put the name of the macro preceded by a "%". For example: the name of the macro I'm trying to access is "CST:-MM" (its for magic missile). when I do that I get "%CST:-MM" put in the chat window. This is the macro:  &{template:2Espell}{{title=@{selected|token_name} casts Magic Missile}}{{splevel=Level 1 Wizard}}{{school=Invocation/Evocation}}{{components=V,S}}{{time=1 segment}}{{range=[[@{level}*10+(60)]] yards}}{{duration=Instantaneous}}{{aoe=1-5 targets}}{{save=None}}{{damage=[[1d4+1]], [[1d4+1]]}}{{reference=PHB pg. 176}}{{effects=Creates up to five missiles of magical energy that dart forth from the wizard's fingertip and unerringly strike their target. 1 missile @ levels 1&2; 2 missles @ 3rd&4th; 3 missles @ 5th&6th; 4 missiles @ 7th&8th; to a maximum of 5 @ 9th+}}
Gold
Forum Champion
Silvyre would probably know how to fix that macro. I'm not sure. Might have something to do with HTML Entities. Maybe keithcurtis, Kristy, or The Aaron, or Vince, or (oh wow where is Brian?) (Where is Elaine?), possibly AquaAlex or GARGAMOND could spot the issue.  Hopefully someone from the Community will see this and assist!

Edited 1530470289
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
To use a character Ability (macro on a character sheet), you need to know the name of the characetr and the name of the ability. For instance, if the character's name is Bob, and the Ability name is CST:-MM then the format is %{Bob|CST:-MM} Let me know if that doesn't work and we can look deeper for the problem.
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Hi Big John , In the "Macro Name" box on the AD&D 2E (Simple) sheet, the author intends you to place a Macro call (to call a Macro from your Collections tab) or an Ability call (to call an Ability from your Attributes and Abilities tab). If you would like to call an Ability (on the Attributes and Abilities tab of your Character Window), you will need to add the Ability call corresponding to the Ability you wish to insert into the "Macro Name" box. From the Wiki: The format is %{ <character name> | <ability name } , for example: %{Bob the Slayer|Massive Axe} That said, you might try adding %{selected|CST:-MM} to the "Macro Name" box. I hope this helps!
THAT'S IT! That's what I was missing! The proper coding language. Just tried it and it worked. Thank you everyone! See, THIS is why I love this community! Those with the knowledge willing to take the time to help the ignorant just so we can better enjoy the experience. Much love guys!
AquaAlex
Sheet Author
Translator
API Scripter
Lol sorry guys only saw this now. But seems you came right. Please ask me with PM if you need assistance :) But luckily here on Roll20 there are always people willing to assist :) So you have two options either macros in collection tab then you use the # and macro name  #W-3-Fireball    in the "Macro Name" box.  if you use the character sheet option for macros then as Silvyre said use teh %{selected|CST:-MM} in the "Macro Name" box.