Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

hi! New to Roll20. What D&D 5e character sheet should I use?

I just got the Pro subscription so I can make a bunch of 1st level characters so I can export to other games so i can start playing with people.  I was wondering which is the best character sheet to use?  the "D&D 5e  OGL by Roll20" seems great but then I it wouldn't allow the "mountain dwarf" subrace.  I tried the D&D 5e Community Contributed and it seems a lot better, but I want to use something that will be used for any game I could join.  Is this the best sheet to use?  Also I have been generating Ability Scores via the "27 points to spend system"  Is the standard way that people use to generate characters?  Thanks!

Edited 1530476126
wouldn't allow the "mountain dwarf" subrace That's not a function or problem with the sheet.  That's because only the SRD version of the rules is supported unless you've purchased the PHB.  "Mountain Dwarf" is not in the SRD, only "Hill Dwarf" is.
ah ok! I do have the players handbook.  do i now need to purchase a PHB character sheet online?  what should i do to have the best (most used) character sheet to play online?  Thanks!
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
What you use is up to you.  Both available sheets have people who passionately love it and loathe the other.  The modules sold in the Marketplace expect the OGL sheet, but Shaped sheet has stuff for converting modules over (if I recall correctly, I'm sure if I'm wrong I'll be corrected ;)  ). In my opinion, what it boils down to is support and long-term use:  The OGL sheet is supported and coded by Roll20 staff, while the Shaped sheet is a fan project and if the writer ever tires of the labor a new writer will need to be found or that sheet will simply stay at the last update it received.  This aspect may not matter to you , however.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I liken the difference to the difference between a Cadillac and a hot rod. The Roll20 OGL sheet is very comfortable, easy to use and has all the technical bits hidden. The Shaped Sheet is the hot rod. The hood is down, the parts are easy to get to and tune to your specific needs. Or perhaps the difference between the original Mac and the MS-DOS machine. Neither one is a wrong choice, they just appeal to different users. Although I have no numbers to back this up, anecdotal experience suggests that the OGL sheet is almost certainly the more popular of the two. At least it generates far more forum traffic. Also, there is closer development cycle time between it and marketplace Compendia and Adventures. The Shaped Sheet often lags a bit behind because changes to the Compendium format are developed expressly for the Shaped Sheet and vice versa. Conversely, the Shaped sheet usually has more regular upgrades and enhancements. Although the author sometimes goes on short hiatuses, his development cycle has been close to once a week at times. If this is not a concern for you, and you like to automate and tinker, the Shaped Sheet is likely your choice (It's my personal preference--the Shaped script's ability to import and expand spells is invaluable). If you want more of a plug and play experience, the OGL is likely your choice. One thing to note that may help you make your decision: The Shaped Sheet is better at importing a character created by the OGL than the other way around, though neither is perfect. You will need to make adjustments. The Shaped Sheet does convert Monster Manual and similar Compendia without a hitch, though the PHB and Charactermancer have yet to be accounted for. The author, Kryx, may decide that he has no interest in doing so. I have not mentioned the Community Contributed sheet, because as far as I know, it is no longer supported or under development.
ok Thanks! I will try the shaped sheet!
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
If you are thinking of DMing it's up to you for deciding what sheet is used in the game, but if you want to join a game run by someone else, it's a good idea to check which sheet they use so you don't do work in vain.
oh! I only plan on just being a player for the time being.. so I should just try to join a game without any characters?
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
It's good to have a character concept or two ready to write down whatever you do. And I guess if you don't mind doing double work to be certain you have characters pre-made for whichever sheet any random GM have, by all mean do so. But also consider that all GMs dont have plus or pro accounts, so if you find a game you'd want to join and it's created and run by a free GM, you can't import a character because that possibility is tied to the subscription level of the original creator of the game. You can read on the wiki  more about these limitations.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
If I read that page correctly, any Pro or Plus user can vault into a Limited Access (free user-created) game?
I recommend the 5E OGL sheet.  I'm sorry, but while the shaped sheet is "sexy", it is often laggy, doesn't support all drag and drop activities from the compendium (looking at you races), and I find it very busy without needing to be so.  Just my opinion, but I understand it works for a lot of folks.
I would create a game using each sheet and experiment with them so you can learn how each one works, and which one you prefer. Additionally, if you are looking to create characters to use the Character Vault into other games, you might want to make the same character in both sheets, as you do not know which sheet a future game you join will be using. This way you are covered for the two most popular 5e sheets.
ok, thanks all.. I still hear a lot of people recommending the "Roll20 OGL" sheet.. but it seems I only have access to the standard one (i.e. can't use the mountain dwarf subrace)  How can I get the FULL sheet?  Someone mentioned buying the Player's Handbook, in which i have..so how do I tell roll20 that I have it?  Thanks!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
There is only one sheet, but it has a checkbox toggle for PC/NPC. The PC toggle is much more complex with many more fields. The NPC toggle is basically just the statblock and a few modifiers. The Shaped sheet functions similarly.
Bill S. said: ok, thanks all.. I still hear a lot of people recommending the "Roll20 OGL" sheet.. but it seems I only have access to the standard one (i.e. can't use the mountain dwarf subrace)  How can I get the FULL sheet?  Someone mentioned buying the Player's Handbook, in which i have..so how do I tell roll20 that I have it?  Thanks! When you say that you’ve bought the Player’s Handbook, are you referring to the physical book or the electronic version sold in the Roll20 Marketplace? In order to access the PHB content on Roll20 you need to buy the version in the Marketplace, which integrates into your Compendium. Luckily, the Marketplace version is currently on sale for $19.99 until the morning of July 5th, when it goes up to $29.99. 
Bill, you can create two games, each with a different sheet, and create your characters in the one that matches your GMs need...  Also useful to practice using the sheets... Always update the Shaped sheet manually, so as to have compatible API and sheet.  This should also avoid the character sheet failing - although it still will when the Roll20 site software corrupts something (so keep a copy of the text files you installed from). Also will fail when Roll20 developers change something fundamental that the sheet relies on. The Roll20 sheet is created by the same people who update the site, or at least they share things.  Sadly this does not stop them breaking the Roll20 sheet on a semi-regular basis.  Spells have not worked properly for ages, and now spells ready status has become a joke. The Roll20 sheet is the one I find most GMs use, so it is probably the first one to get to grips with. 
ok, thanks everyone!
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Ready to have this closed, Bill? :)
yes, it can close. Thank you all!