Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

somewhat D&D noob roll20 basics?

I have the Real players handbook and volo's guide but I don't get roll20... at all. do i have to re-buy my books online or can i just play? and what's up with the Grouping? is it like reddit where you start talking to others on threads/games? i'm already somewhat a noob to D&D in real life... i don't wanna go through a gauntlet of new s--t again (also uncertain if swearing is allowed so kinda have to bleep it out just to play it safe)
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Brook H.  said: I have the Real players handbook and volo's guide but I don't get roll20... at all. Have your read the stickied  "New to Roll20 or RPGs, or Just Need Guidance? Click Here!" -thread? Have you done the tutorial? Brook H. said: I have the Real players handbook and volo's guide... do i have to re-buy my books online or can i just play? You don't have to buy anything, those are just very helpful for running games with having digital Roll20-access to the books and expand the compendium's content to include all PHB and Volo's feats, spells and other content.  Brook H. said: and what's up with the Grouping? is it like reddit where you start talking to others on threads/games? Are you referring to the LFG subforums? Yes, it's a subforum dedicated to those who seek people to play with.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
To expand on the second point, you can manually input anything you want (spells, monsters, character features, etc.). This is true of just about any game system you might want to play on Roll20. Having Roll20's versions of the books is essentially a time saver, giving you drag and drop access to much of that.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Brook H. said: do i have to re-buy my books online or can i just play? and what's up with the Grouping? is it like reddit where you start talking to others on threads/games? i'm already somewhat a noob to D&D in real life... i don't wanna go through a gauntlet of new s--t again (also uncertain if swearing is allowed so kinda have to bleep it out just to play it safe) As other have pointed out. Buying roll20 books/compendiums is just a time saver. You can create and run games with just what you have laying on your desk. I run OSR games and there are no roll20 stuff for my chosen system so I create roll20 stuff on my own for my games. Grouping? You are asking what is the deal about groups?Those are just gaming groups. Get a handful of people together for a game and you have a group. There are some groups that are more community like in their function. I have a group of over 500 members but the community is gear towards a specific style of gaming which is text based. This came about due to text based games are outnumbered by 100+ to 1 and tend to get drowned out in the general LFG forum so I created a community to help players find other players that enjoy or use that style of play. There are OSR communities (groups), Living World groups, and other types of groups. I hope this answered your question about grouping. As for the swearing on roll20, keep it pg-13 in the public forums for the most part and everything will be fine.