Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Unable to delete a Row from a Repeating Section

Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
Originally I opened a Character Sheet forum requesting for help but no one was able yto help me and some say it must be a bug. I am trying to fix a problem with a character sheet that someone else designed and that person is no longer active. I am very new to HTML and just trying to make some simple fixes. All of the repeating sections work fine within the character sheet except for one of them. When I click Modify and click the Delete button, it deletes the information but does not delete the row from the repeating table. I compared the HTML code with other repeating tables and that seems fine (there where two spelling errors but I fixed that). What can prevent the row from actually deleting? What should I be looking for? It is the  GURPS  character sheet (#1 or the first one listed), which is a rather simple sheet. It is just a single Repeating Section identical to other Repeating Sections liek those for  Inventory, Skills, Weapons, etc. The HTML code is all the same, the only difference that I can see ar the "attr_.." entries for the table and that makes sense. FYI: All the formatting and CSS code is working *such as it is). Also this is happening in all of my GURPS games using this sheet as wells as other's. Some additional observations : When I do click the Delete button, all the fields are deleted or reset to their defaults values except one of them. That value does not delete. Normally when you click the Delete button the row deletes (if it is deleting and resetting values, well it happens so fast I cannot see). That must mean something right?
Hi Mike, Could you provide the name of the game in which you are making these changes? This will let a dev hop in and investigate the issue to see if it is something on our end. Thank you!
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
GURPS Sheet #1 Yes, that is the name of the game It is my testing game where I test all changes done to this character sheet. Please note:I  do not create this sheet nor have I been maintaining it until just very recently and I am a novice at HTML and CSS code.
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
Further Information from a person wit better skils then mine.: G G  said: There is only one fieldset having this issue - techniques. All others work just fine. I understood some of what you said, and it does in fact update most of the , but not all of the, values in the row - so perhaps that is something to look at closely. Thanks. I did a quick test, removing all the sheet workers from the sheet and tried to delete that first row of the techniques section. I still couldn't delete it, with no scripts present.. It does look like a genuine bug not a a script interaction.
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
Amy update for me?
Not yet, sorry! I have made sure the ticket has the updated information from G G as well.

Edited 1532799716
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
Thank you so much. It is not a game stopper or anything like that. Also if you do find the issue and it is either CSS and\or HTML coding, please let me know exactly what it took or will take to fix the issue. I am leaning HTML and CSS, very new at this for now, and want to know what to look for. Thanks
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
I was wondering if any progress has bee made.
Is this bug in the current code on GitHub or is it just in a development game??

Edited 1533337506
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
Well I am not sure where the bug is. I looked all through the code and could not find anything that would cause this to happen. It is happening in all games of GURPS that use this particular sheet. I do not know how long this has been going on but it was happening before I made some changes. Also it is only affecting one particular repeating section.
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
Ok I found the problem, but how fix this is beyond me. There is an attribute in the Repeating Section of Techniques name attr_maxx If any value is added into the attribute, or even if you tab into the attribute's field, the row will now longer delete. Strangely enough, if I add a different attribute in its place, the same thing happens. So I can do a PULL that eliminates this attribute for the time being however exiting items in the Repeating Section (Techniques) will not be able to be deleted - I have now idea how to fix that.
Hmmm... max is a special "partner attribute" of most (all?) attributes. That is what facilitates the three circles on tokens where you can track a current and maximum value. It is referenced as either "attr_attribute_max " or "attr_attribute|max", depending on context. But the attribute on the sheet here is just "attr_max". Maybe Roll20 is confused by this - it's the max of what?
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
Rabulias said: Hmmm... max is a special "partner attribute" of most (all?) attributes. That is what facilitates the three circles on tokens where you can track a current and maximum value. It is referenced as either "attr_attribute_max " or "attr_attribute|max", depending on context. But the attribute on the sheet here is just "attr_max". Maybe Roll20 is confused by this - it's the max of what? I wish I knew more. I am still waiting for the Devs to take a look when they get the chance.
Mike, unfortunately, I still do not have an update on this issue :( I have added in the latest information you provided regarding where you found the problem to the ticket.
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
Thank you Drespar
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
It is not a game stopper but I hope I hear something soon
The more I think about it, the more I think that "attr_max" is like a reserved word, and should not be used. In any event I hope that now that GenCon is over someone with more inside info about Roll20's inner working can weigh in.
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
Rabulias said: The more I think about it, the more I think that "attr_max" is like a reserved word, and should not be used. In any event I hope that now that GenCon is over someone with more inside info about Roll20's inner working can weigh in. I am sure that must be the issue and I can easily change that for future entries (right now I am blocking the entry all together). My greater concern is in existing games where those character sheets that already have used that entry and have this issue.
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
Hello Devs, any insight yet?
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
I realize I said there was no rush to this but it has now been over a month now and I have not heard anything from the Devs. I really would appreciate even just a peek to let me know something.
Sorry Mike, unfortunately no update yet. I will be reaching out to a dev directly to get this on their radar.
Caden
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Hey Mike, I've got an educated guess for you. This post & Drespar's ticket to me mentions repeating_technique s having an attr_max or attr_maxx  input. Looking at the html I do not see an <input name="attr_max" /> or one for maxx. In fact on line 1524 where this input should probably be located there is " --- ". Indeed it was deleted back in this commit . Are your sheets older than ~22 days ago when this commit happened? If so your entries probably still have the _max attribute even though you can't see it on the sheet. The _max is indeed a special case for sheets. If you want to learn some Javascript you may be able to make a sheet worker that will delete all these "empty" repeating fields. The alternative is making new character sheets and copying your information to the new sheet. With the _max attribute gone you shouldn't see this issue again.  That input could be added back but it should be named something attr_maximum. Thanks, Cassie

Edited 1535675682
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
Cassie As a stop gap, I removed any further input to that attribute so people can delete new Techniques if they want to. But they are still unable to delete any existing rows that have a volue in that attribute. I guess the question is, how do I delete that attribute so that the rows can be successfully deleted? BTW I am not good at coding anything, I have just reversed engineered some stuff. I have a lot to learn yet.
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
So there is now way to delete an attribute from a repeating section? I do not want to retain the value., I just to delete the attribute so I can then check if I can delete the row. I am so very new t HTML and Java. Is there a script that I can use that will go through all the rows of a repeat ion section and delete one specific attribute (the same attribute) in each row? OR at least set the value to Null?
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
Devs: I still need some help on this. I want to do one of two things and need to know how to code this in HTML or Javascript as a sheet worker, which ever way it needs to be done.. How do I delete the attribute with the name of attr_max and any values that may have been entered, from the repeating section Techniques. How to delete the Repeating section named Techniques. I have, as mentioned above, already removed reference to that attribute: attr_max in the repeating section Techniques in the HTML code so that no one adds any additional vales to that attribute. This, however, does not remove the fact that a value may already exist within the repeating section and I cannot change that. Thanks for any help.