Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Mood lighting layer

It would be nice to have a layer that's just color and opacity for the whole map. If you want a battle at dusk make it a nice golden yellow or pumpkin color. Want it to be misty? Set it to white and play with the opacity. Sort of like adding a custom filter. Perhaps you could even add non-animated particle effects that's just a still image repeated? Currently you could color adjust all your maps in photoshop and upload them but all of the tokens would have to be color matched or you'll have to play around with the overlay colors provided to not make them stick out like a sore thumb on the battlefield. It seems like it'd be simple maybe its part of the lighting layer? Perhaps even an option that colored lights override this layer so you can have everything set to sort of a purplish grey for nighttime but a character with a torch has a yellowish light around them. Maybe its as simple as allowing lights to be in the foreground instead? I don't know, it seems like it could be a pretty easy addition but who knows. It just adds a little extra depth.

Edited 1533052408
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
I often use a token's aura with a huge radius(larger than the map to get full coverage) that can be seen by all players to apply some "mood" lighting to a map.  Great for night time or an under water effect.
Only thing about that though is that any objects or tokens stick out like a sore thumb then unfortunately. I tried something similar by just creating a transparent object and putting it on the map later but it looked super awkward.

Edited 1534146576
Put the map on the token layer. Open the token settings and add a tint of the color and than switch it back to the map layer. I do this all the time to create night variants of maps. 
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Vegemite Dangerous said: Put the map on the token layer. Open the token settings and add a tint of the color and than switch it back to the map layer. I do this all the time to create night variants of maps.  Great idea... you could also apply the same tint colour to any tokens you want to keep on the token layer but don't want the players to be immediately drawn to!
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Nice trick.
Vegemite Dangerous said: Put the map on the token layer. Open the token settings and add a tint of the color and than switch it back to the map layer. I do this all the time to create night variants of maps.  Very Clever! I shall have to use that! Thank you!
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .