Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Warhammer 40k community - tabletop wargame in Roll20

Edited 1410991110
DISCLAIMER : I am not in charge of the community anymore. Feel free to post here and hope that someone in the community comes around to invite you in, but don't message me personally. Forget the power of technology and science, so much has been forgotten, never to be re-learned. Forget the promise of progress and understanding, for in the grim dark future there is only war. There is no peace amongst the stars. Welcome. We are looking for new players to play Warhammer 40k 6th edition with. I've adapted the tabletop to make it entirely playable on roll20, and as close as possible to the original game. What started as just a small project for me to play Warhammer 40k from time to time with my friends is quickly growing into a small community of Warhammer from pretty much all around the world (We've got Europeans, Americans, and even one or two SEA guys). Are you Warhammer 40k Veteran ? Do you want to play the game without spending thousands of dollar on miniatures ? Or do you not have the time anymore to go to your local gaming stores to play real games, or did you use to play with a friend that now lives far away from you ? Well, even though playing Warhammer 40k online will never replace the pleasure of the hobby, the collecting and painting of the amazing miniatures, it can still be a great way to enjoy a game you normally wouldn't because of physical limitations. Are you a complete beginner , and would love to try Warhammer 40k ? maybe before starting to collect a real life army, or just to play epic sci-fi battles within a great universe ? Then you came to the right place. We can initiate you to the game, teach you how to play, and just have fun playing a great tabletop wargame with you. Only in death does duty end. What do you need to play if you're a beginner ? Skype A microphone What do you need to play if you're an experienced player ? Knowledge of Warhammer 40k 6th edition rules Knowledge of the rules of the army you want to play An army list A microphone Skype The maps, game preparation, and everything else is taken care of before you play. All you have to do is send me an army list, schedule a time and day to play, and when you'll show up, the game will be ready to go. It is better to die for the Emperor than to live for yourself. What armies can you play ? Here is a complete list of the armies you can play, the others are not yet playable : WARNING : Some units of those armies are not done yet, if one of the missing unit is on your army list, it might take one or two day before you can play : I will need to finish the missing unit first. Space Marines (Standard chapter, Ultramarines only FOR NOW) Imperial Guard Sister of Battle Grey Knights Chaos Space Marines Daemons Tyranids Orks Tau Empire Necrons Eldars Dark Eldars Armies not yet playable : Inquisition Space Wolves Dark Angels Black Templars Some other minor things that I might have forgot There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt. Notes Most of us are not looking to play super competitive games, and don't want to play against someone overly competitive about it. It's okay if we mess up or forget rules, it's okay if one unit is moved 0.5" more than it should have, it's okay if we get some stats or rules wrong. It's not going to be a real life tournament environment. How many games we play is up to you. We can play one game and be done with it, we could do best of 3, we could play regularly if we're really having fun, that's totally up to you. The type of game will usually be decided with your opponent before the game starts. Anything can be played, between 500 and 4000 points. Scenarios can be played, or just standard random objectives (Crusade, Purge the Alien, Big Guns never Tire, The Scourging, The Emperor's Will, The Relic). Setting up games takes me a lot of time, so please don't schedule a game if you're not sure you're going to be able to play 2-3 hours in a row. If you've got something to do, of course we can reschedule, but I don't want someone leaving after 2 turns in the middle of the game. It doesn't matter how tight your schedule is, or what timezone you're in. We'll find a day / hour that works for both players, as long as you can be sure to be available for 2 to 4 hours in a row. Burn the heretic. Kill the mutant. Purge the unclean. I'm interested, what do I do ? Post in this topic, or send me a PM. I'll get in contact with you and we'll work out everything you need to know to start playing. Battle Reports Here you can find all the Battle Reports I've made so far of game that were played within the community : Feb 2014 - Tyranids vs. Space Marines March 2014 - Tau Empire vs. Orks FAQ Q. I lived under a rock my entire life, what is Warhammer 40,000 ? A. Warhammer 40,000 is a tabletop miniature wargame produced by Games Workshop, set in a dystopian science-fantasy "grimdark" universe. It was created in 1987, and has been growing every since. The game is actually in its 6th edition, which launched in june 2012. A big part of the game is the collecting and painting of miniatures, that will then be used to play the actual game. Q. That sounds interesting, where can I learn more about the game ? A. Depending on which country you live in, you might have a Games Workshop store nearby. They're usually the best place to start with if you just want to learn more about tabletop wargames. Otherwise, you can also go to your local gamestore, and asks them if they host Warhammer games. You can also take a look at Games Workshop's website , to give you an idea of what the game and the miniatures look like. Q. What if I want to learn more about the universe ? A. You can find everything you need to know about Warhammer 40,000 in the official Warhammer 40,000 wiki . There are also hundreds of Warhammer 40,000 novels that you can read, some of them being good, some of them not so much. Inform yourself before buying any of the novels. If some of you want to use the assets, you can download them here, use them and share them as much as you want, as long as you don't claim ownership of the assets, or that you're the original artists. Those sprites are the work of the Vassal 40k artists which I was a part of. Units : <a href="https://mega.co.nz/#!pMcTWD4D!PZoZ7EiC3YJtU0MS-S1w" rel="nofollow">https://mega.co.nz/#!pMcTWD4D!PZoZ7EiC3YJtU0MS-S1w</a>... Terrains : <a href="https://mega.co.nz/#!kNUiQaSI!O0jtNblG_N__YP1lMAv-" rel="nofollow">https://mega.co.nz/#!kNUiQaSI!O0jtNblG_N__YP1lMAv-</a>...
Cool. How do you determine line of sight? or Does Everything block LOS? I am interested in seeing a game take place. I play Sister of Battle with Allied IG

Edited 1392919952
Michael P. said: How do you determine line of sight? or Does Everything block LOS? We usually agree beforehand on which part of the terrain obscures lines of sights completely (like a tall building), and which doesn't. It's a limitation of the 2D top down view, but it's only a small issue, nothing that can't be dealt with. I'll send you a PM to get you in a game.
Hello, Tiguius! I am definitely interested in playing Warhammer 40K, though I currently don't have my core book or army books. Back in the day, I played Tyranids and Oldcrons, and I always wanted to try Guard and SPEES MAHRINES, though I never got around to it. Please contact me about the group. I'm also quite curious to see what all you've done to enable playing 40K, as I'm also interested in playing Fantasy. Does anyone in your group lean towards playing both?
NonPlayerCharacter said: Hello, Tiguius! I am definitely interested in playing Warhammer 40K, though I currently don't have my core book or army books. Back in the day, I played Tyranids and Oldcrons, and I always wanted to try Guard and SPEES MAHRINES, though I never got around to it. Please contact me about the group. I'm also quite curious to see what all you've done to enable playing 40K, as I'm also interested in playing Fantasy. Does anyone in your group lean towards playing both? I'll send you a pm, also for the record, I'm personally not interested in fantasy at all, and I won't bother trying to make it work with roll20. I'm sure some other people out there will eventually.
Tigurius said: I'll send you a pm, also for the record, I'm personally not interested in fantasy at all, and I won't bother trying to make it work with roll20. I'm sure some other people out there will eventually. That doesn't surprise me. In my experience, the overlap between the two can vary, but is generally on the low side. I've more-or-less made it playable using decks and simple boxes (as WHFB bases are fairly uniform in that fashion), but I'm curious to compare that with what you've done. Unfortunately, I can't access my private messages right now. I get repeated time-out errors. I'll read it as soon as I can figure out what went wrong.
Hey Tigurius. I'm interested in learning more about Warhammer 40k, though I've never played it. I had a couple of friends who played it a while back and I was always interested, but just couldn't afford to play. If you'd be willing to take on a completely wet-behind-the-ears newbie, then count me in!
Bump'd. Today was pretty calm, the Chaos crushed the Ultramarines thanks to their cultists able to shoot down terminators (don't ask how, it just happened), and Necrons tied with the Sisters of Battle.
Hey I just started collecting the miniatures but I've never played a game but I want to so far I only have Tau
BTW, Cultists shot down terminators WITH PISTOLS!!!
Hello, I am completely new to Warhammer 40k but have always been interested in playing. So, if there is still room I would be interested in joining.
I've been playing 40k for a good while now with a friend, and just can't enough of it. I don't know all the rules, or have the rulebook (friend taught me basics but I'm getting a rulebook within the future). The only army I have is Necrons, though.
Epic battle of doom to end the day : 2vs2 battle, Tyranids + Tyranids vs Sisters of battle + Orks, which ended up in a SUPER CLOSE victory for the tyranids during the last turn, ending the score at 5-4. The Most Valuable Player (unit ?) award definitely goes to the gretchin that managed to wound a lictor, while the least valuable player award goes to the Mawloc that never managed to deep strike after going underground, aswell as Seraphim who thought jumping into a Hive Tyrant with Bonesword and Whip was a good idea. The community's forums are up and running, post here or send me a PM if you want to join ! I'll try to get a battle report up for the next battle
OK, a grot wounding a lictor is cool, but heretics murdering terminators are still boss.
Our first battle report is up, you can go read it here if you want to find out more about how the game looks like and plays before joining !
Bump'd
Thanks for the invitation. I'd like to join. I'll send you a PM.
im interested in playing. I havn't learned sixth edition yet, so i'll have to brush up on that. I stopped playing fifth edition after my son was born, and it's been two years since. I'd like to play some good ol orks (and I got to witness your game, thanks for letting me drop in on that. Wish I could have heard the audio too).
FastWalker said: Thanks for the invitation. I'd like to join. I'll send you a PM. Messiahcide said: im interested in playing. I havn't learned sixth edition yet, so i'll have to brush up on that. I stopped playing fifth edition after my son was born, and it's been two years since. I'd like to play some good ol orks (and I got to witness your game, thanks for letting me drop in on that. Wish I could have heard the audio too). You'll both be welcome, always looking for new players. Sent you both a PM.
My tabletop WH40k knowledge adds up to literally nil, but I'm interested in trying my hand at the game. I'd like to join in if you'll have me.

Edited 1393525270
I just found this site today and am extremely curious how this all works. I've been playing 40K for a little bit, but need to be able to practice more frequently than I currently am. I'm curious; is this set up at somebody's house and they move everything? Or is this similar to the one online WFB where it's a top down view of drawn models which can have different weapons swapped out at will? I read the entire original post but have been really curious how this all works and am very excited to find out. I'd love to even watch a game if that's possible. Looking forward to hearing from you! *Edit* So I went through my account information and checked out the subscription spot and found the Dynamic Lighting preview video and wow... That's amazing how they actually use custom assets to play these incredibly complex games. I'm really curious how accurately everything works. I'll have to check this out!
It's using the roll20 framework, which means we can use pages as basically a tabletop, uploading, dropping, copying, pasting and dragging any asset or image we want. All the players in the game can interact with the models, depending on their rights within the campaign (as a GM you can limit them to being able to move only certain models, or all of them, or even none of them). If you've got no idea of what roll20 actually is, you might want to take a look at this for instance. Consider that the video is almost 2 years old now, and there is a TON more possibilities now, but the way it works is basically the same. If you want to look at what Warhammer 40k looks like played within roll20, go over there , I posted a battle report of a game that was played a couple of days ago. If you're interested in joining the warhammer 40k community, then go ahead and send me PM and we'll try to get you to play some games with us.

Edited 1393540179
I just finished reading through that entire battle report and it looks very similar to another site I had found awhile ago that had Warhammer Fantasy -- I will definitely need to try this out! I'd love to play either Necrons, Grey Knights or Chaos Space Marines. Do Allied Detachments work in this too? I played a little bit of Dark Heresy today too to see how it works and I'm curious how 40k works. Do the distances with the ruler change to inches? We couldn't figure out how to change the ruler or grid to be the right unit of measurement. Unless the 40k game system changes it itself? I still can't wait to play though to see how different/similar it is.
Hi Tigurius. Nice work on porting 40K to Roll20. I would like to join. I play Imp Guard but haven't used 6th edition. Will take a look at the new rules this weekend and start amassing my troops (oh so many guardsmen!)
Hello, I would love to participate in this and actually be able to play different armies other than space marines. Main are Grey Knights.
I'd also like an invite to this. I've played Black Templar, Tyranids, CSM, and SM at one point or another. Looks like it'd be fun.
Bump. We've had quite a lot of new players lately, and still looking for more !
Monday's bump.
Hey Tigurius! I would love to join this community and see for myself your hard work. If you can PM/invite me, I'd be much obliged.
Color me interested, I'm a Tau player from way back in the Fish of Fury days. I'd like to join; I've done the same thing you've done with Mordheim.
Saturday's bump.
I would be interested to try wargaming. I've always wanted to, but it is very expensive.
Nikola M. said: I would be interested to try wargaming. I've always wanted to, but it is very expensive. PM'd with details.
Bump'd ! Always looking for more new players.

Edited 1394641617
Bump'd. The Waaagh! is now ready to roll over anything that would get in its path
I would be interested in playing but can't use skype even though I have a mic. Why isn't it possible to use the existing Roll20 mic system? Please send me a PM either way though.

Edited 1394647410
Neddy said: I would be interested in playing but can't use skype even though I have a mic. Why isn't it possible to use the existing Roll20 mic system? Please send me a PM either way though. No reason not to use the roll20 mic system, it's just that most of our players uses Skype to find opponents and to communicate, since it's the most commonly used software out there (even though it's a piece of shit). I'll send you a PM.
The above image is a game me and my friends did before we knew vassal40k was a thing. (and before i had photoshop, hence the non-transparent backgrounds) (the hex grid was to make measuring 100% accurate, and simplify blast tokens) What are you using as the tokens? I would be very interested in this if the tokens looked nice.

Edited 1394649984
A combination of vassal sprites, customized or reworked sprites, or just entirely new sprites drew by my wife and colored by me. An example of those would be the newest tyranids units (100% hand drawn, then coloured using Gimp) <a href="http://i.imgur.com/B1LjL08.png" rel="nofollow">http://i.imgur.com/B1LjL08.png</a> You should take a look at the battle report I've posted on the forums (it's a couple of weeks old, so some sprites have been updated since, but that'll give you an idea). You can find it here : <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/677101/warhammer-40k-6th-edition-roll20-battle-report-tyranids-space-marines#post-67710" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/677101/warhammer-40k-6th-edition-roll20-battle-report-tyranids-space-marines#post-67710</a>
Update : the Eldars are 100% done.
I would be interested in trying this out sometime. I just started playing dark angels last year and was about to buy the beginnings of a CSM army that this seems like a great place to try it out first.

Edited 1394755445
I guess i'm interested. Send me a PM then. I think that a non-vassal token set would be nice though, as vassal really makes all infantry look the same. That or 30k units would be a decent addittion.
Huge Update : the Dark Eldars are now 100% done and ready to join the fight !
Update : mapmaking tools are now available within the game
Hey. Can I join ?
Our second battle report is done and posted on the Roll20 forums !
Hello Tigurius, I read the reports you posted on Dakka. They're very good; I'm impressed by the amount of work you put into them as well as the sprites. I've actually been looking for a Roll20 40K game for awhile now (the tabletop, not one of the RPG's), so I'd love to jump in on this. I have all the codices and have some moderate experience with the game, and would have no problem teaching new players what I know. I'm a total vassal noob, though. Are you guys still open for joining?
A beginner that would love to give this a try.
Monday's bump
I would like to play I am new to the game but have been reading up on it.
Hyme said: A beginner that would love to give this a try. Same.