Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

New Player Here, Now What?

I am new to Roll20 and to roleplaying games in general. I have wanted to try them for years and finally decided that if I don't get into it now I probably never will so here I am. I have been reading the rules and lore of Dungeons and Dragons so I was hoping to start with that before anything else. I hope to one day try being a DM. However I am not sure how to actually join a game. I see a lot of forum posts here but no guidelines for joining a game or responding to potential players. I have browsed the Join a Game page in the Games tab and seen some campaigns that might work for me, but what comes after I apply to one? Do I wait for a response? Do the DMs respond to everyone? Or do I just wait for the campaign start date and if I don't get a message before just assume I was not chosen?
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
The Original DJRM said: I am new to Roll20 and to roleplaying games in general. I have wanted to try them for years and finally decided that if I don't get into it now I probably never will so here I am. I have been reading the rules and lore of Dungeons and Dragons so I was hoping to start with that before anything else. I hope to one day try being a DM. However I am not sure how to actually join a game. I see a lot of forum posts here but no guidelines for joining a game or responding to potential players. I have browsed the Join a Game page in the Games tab and seen some campaigns that might work for me, but what comes after I apply to one? Do I wait for a response? Do the DMs respond to everyone? Or do I just wait for the campaign start date and if I don't get a message before just assume I was not chosen? Depends.   ;-P First, congrats on jumping in and welcome to roll20.  In truth, there isn't a single "right" answer to your questions. You have done well in looking through the LFG pages and trying to find something you are interested in.  It's up to the game's GM on the actual process/method they use to decide which player's will ultimately get in their game.  It's best to follow any instructions given by the GM.  You might send a PM to the GM and/or post to the Listing's Discussion if you have questions.  Some GM's may post to the discussion letting you know if you've been selected.  If you are selected to play, you'll be given a join-link to the game by the GM, probably through a roll20 PM.  GM's may have a character creation session as a group, individual, or may even allow you to import a character that you create from your own roll20 game(must use the same sheet).  Some games will have pre-rolled characters.  Each game is different.  If you do not get any response, you were probably not selected.  ;-( But don't give up. Keep trying.  There are many more player's than GM's, so it may take a while.  Good luck.

Edited 1533626351
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Welcome indeed, always great to see fresh meat faces here! In addition to Vince's sound advice I'd highly recommend checking out the following threads for hints and tips on how to get yourself out there: New to Roll20 or RPGs Posting to LFG I also always advise setting up a game yourself (even if just as a testing environment to play around with the VTT and check out the sheets and how to use them).
For a little more info on how to play using roll20, feel free to check out my guide here:&nbsp;<a href="https://app.roll20.net/join/2466612/xgTrIQ" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/join/2466612/xgTrIQ</a>