Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

[LFP][LGBT+ Friendly] - Star Wars Ep. IV: Rise of the Oligarchs - Text, Fridays 6:30PM PDT

Edited 1533857092
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away… Star Wars Episode IV Rise of the Oligarchs The lightsaber clashes with the blast of cascading violet energy as Mace Windu deflects the lightning coming from Palpatine's outstretched hands. Windu’s expression is determined, fierce. Palpatine's features twist and deform under the strain, aging him impossibly in mere moments. He calls out to his apprentice.   "Young Skywalker, you see what he wishes? He wants to kill me, to replace my rule with his own!"   "Don't listen to him, Anakin!" Windu's voice is strained, showing the effort it takes to deflect the energy. But his words are strong, filled with conviction. "We must stop him!"   Anakin Skywalker watches the battle, conflict raging inside of him. His desperation to save Padme has led him here, and now... His lightsaber is a weight in his hands, waiting to be activated. The crackle of energy weakens. Palpatine looks toward Anakin, eyes desperate.   "Help me, Skywalker! It's the only way to save Padme!" Something in his words, his tone, his eyes, warns Anakin at last. With a sudden revelation, a moment of clarity, he finds new resolve.   "No!" Anakin shouts. "It's not the only way! I won't be your tool, old man! Master Windu, do what you must." Anakin turns away, and walks from the chamber. Behind him, the lightning grows ever weaker until, with a slash, the battle ends.   *    *    *    *    * Unable to control his tears, Anakin kneels before his wife, arms clutched around her legs. Crying in shame, he tells her everything. He tells her of his actions, past and present, and of own failings, ones she knows nothing of, and reveals how close he came to betraying everything she held dear. Padme looks down at the man before her, younger than her by several years, but seeming so much older now. She feels love for him, love that even the horror he shares with her now can’t abate. Her own at trembling at the thought of how close it came to ruin, she hand gently strokes his hair. "Ani--"   A chime at the door interrupts. Mace Windu walks in past Threepio. "Skywalker, we need to talk. Now."   "Not now, Master Windu," Padme answers, her voice one of cold steel. "Ani needs time. He will come to the Jedi council."   "Senator, this is a matter of--"   "Yes,” she interrupts, curtly. “But even so, you and the rest of the council have more important matters to discuss.” She glances down at her husband, fingers still in his hair, then back at the Jedi. “Master Windu,” her tone has softens, the words a request, not a command. “Please leave us. Ani will come to the council soon."   Mace turns and strides out without another word. Padme strokes Anakin's hair.   *    *    *    *    *   The Senate chamber is in an uproar. Hundreds of voices - filled with confusion, fear and outrage - struggle to be heard. They are dismayed to see how easily they were manipulated. The war: a fabrication by Chancellor Palpatine designed to enable his rise to power. The Jedi: powerless to sense the danger so close. Master Yoda and Windu struggle to be heard, to assure the people that the danger has passed, but they are shouted down.   *    *    *    *    *   Anakin Skywalker enters the chamber of the Jedi Council, dressed not in the robes of a Jedi, but in black pants and shirt. He walks to the middle of the council chamber, calm, composed, and stops, looking at each Master for a moment. Master Windu opens his mouth to speak, to demand explanations, but Anakin holds up his hand, and begins his tale.   "For the past three years,” he begins, “since just after the war began, I have been secretly married to Senator Amidala.” The council look on Anakin with surprise. “Now, she is pregnant. I plan to return with her to Naboo to raise our child, but knew I must first face this council." Stunned by this news, the council says nothing, waiting for Anakin to continue, as they regain their composure. He looks from face to impassive face.   "The way of the Jedi is one of isolation and loneliness. We're told not to love, nor hate, nor feel any of the emotions that make us sentient beings. We're taught to hide these parts of ourselves. We lock them away from the world, from one another, and from our own hearts." Anakin continues to turn, facing each Master, looking each in the eye as he speaks. "I love Padme. That love jeopardized everything, not because I allowed myself to experience it, but because I was forced to hide it. Because I could not confide in those around me, because that love left me vulnerable to fears, a burden I had to carry alone. Because I had no-one I could turn to, Palpatine found a way to infiltrate my heart." Anakin turns to Master Windu. "Master, in Palpatine's chamber, I was an instant from lashing out. I wanted... I wanted to stop you...to save Padme. Palpatine offered me hope where the Jedi did not. It was only in that last moment, as I heard the desperation in his voice, that I realized I'd been manipulated by him. I fear for what may have happened if I had not stopped."   Anakin turns in place, meeting the gaze of each of the council. "Because I had to hide my love for Padme, I nearly fell prey to Palpatine's manipulations. And because YOU cut yourselves off from those around you, you were also prey to his schemes, his ambitions.” Those assembled want to deny it, but many realize there is truth in Anakin’s words. But he has more. "The way of the Jedi is a well-meaning dead end. Enlightenment is not to be found by denying our passions, but by understanding them. Peace doesn't come through denying our feelings, but by accepting them and learning to let them guide us. Not rule us, but to help us know our way. The Jedi's failure to find balance between the heart and the mind nearly destroyed the Republic. I pray you will realize this, and seek a new path, as I now choose to do.”   Anakin turns to face one in particular, a young man compared to other among the council, but still older than Anakin by a decade or more. Anakin approaches Obi-Wan, and stops before him. "Master, I have failed you. But even facing that, I would rather fail in your eyes than Padme's. Or my own."   Anakin produces his lightsaber. He carefully places it on the seat next to Obi-Wan, the seat he occupied until recently. Then he turns, walking away from the the Jedi.   *    *    *    *    *    "...can't leave, Anakin. There is so much to be done. The Republic is in chaos, and it looks to the Jedi for guidance." Obi-Wan sits in Senator Amidala's chamber, leaning forward, his expression intense. "We need you." Even as he says the words, Obi-Wan knows the answer. He sees Anakin sitting opposite him, leaning back, relaxed in posture and expression. Anakin is more at peace than Obi Wan has ever seen his former apprentice. Anakin smiles, shaking his head. "No, Master. The others would never accept me after what I've done, and I don't want them to. I have played my part, and now I wish only to be with Padme. To live in peace, and to raise our children." "Children?" Obi-Wan can't hide his surprise. "You mean--" Anakin smiles. "Padme is having twins." Obi-Wan looks at Anakin a moment longer, but then lets himself smile as well. "Jedi must be prepared to face impossible odds, but I can see this is not a battle I can win. I yield, young one." Obi-Wan rises, but doesn't turn to go. “But let me return this.” Obi-Wan holds out Anakin's lightsaber. “You may have need of it someday.” Anakin accepts his lightsaber. The pair regard each other for a long moment. Finally, Obi-Wan offers a hand to his friend. The two shake warmly. "You have been a good friend, Anakin,” the master offers his apprentice. “May the force be with you, always." "And you, Master," Anakin replies Obi-Wan turns and leaves, not looking back. *    *    *    *    * A Year The Republic Senate passes many new laws, among them a law abolishing the position of High Chancellor and replacing it with a High Council, so that no one being may ever again hold sway over the entire senate. The war ends. While the separatists realize they were duped by Palpatine as much as the rest of the Republic, some grievances remain. A sector of the Republic is granted partial autonomy to help appease those members. Secure in their new domain, the Corporate Sector Authority rejoins the Republic. The Clone Army does not disband, but remains, a peacekeeping force at the disposal of the Senate. On Naboo, Luke and Leia are born, fine, healthy children. Amidala retires from the Senate, but remains an advisor to the Queen. Anakin enjoys fatherhood. On Coruscant, the Jedi Council debates. The seeds sown by Skywalker have created much doubt. Around the galaxy, as news reaches the people, many wonder at the fate so narrowly avoided. *    *    *    *    * Five Years The Senate enacts new laws to ensure the peace, such as establishing a military presence at each world of the Republic and giving the military the authority to intervene in disputes. The Corporate Sector resists, but concedes when allowed to place their own commanders in the CSA garrisons. The Republic Army begins recruiting, promising all manner of great things to young people who join. The Jedi Order doesn't disband so much as simply lose cohesion. With many Jedi lost in the war, and many more finding disillusionment saps their connection to the Force, the order gradually...  dissolves. Young students return home, while older Jedi leave to make their way in the galaxy. Not really sure why, Obi-Wan returns to Tatooine, taking a place in the Jundland Wastes. *    *    *    *    * Ten Years The Senate enacts new laws to ensure the peace, such as establishing military governors to preside over the local systems. The move is met with outrage, and protests. To ensure the peace, many are arrested, and many others killed or injured in the riots that follow. The Republic Army’s numbers swell with the new laws making a term of service compulsory. Many former Jedi make their way out into the galaxy, becoming bounty hunters, or law enforcement, or wanderers, or hermits. In the Corporate Sector, the military governors are killed. The CSA Board of Directors declares autonomy from the Republic. Republic forces attempt to move in, only to be repelled time and again. A tense standoff results at the border between Republic and Corporate Sector space. *    *    *    *    * Fifteen Years The High Council enacts new laws to ensure the peace, criminalizing acts of sedition such as voicing dissent, fomenting rebellion or refusing to serve the mandatory term of military service. More outrage, more protests, more arrests, more riots, more injuries and deaths. Outspoken Senators who question this new order begin to disappear, or are arrested. The Jedi are but a memory. In some corners of the Galaxy, quietly, gradually, beings begin to talk, to discuss what has happened to their Republic. In whispers, they call it The Oligarchy. *    *    *    *    * Twenty Years The High Council enacts new laws to ensure the peace, such as dissolving the Senate. The Republic Army has grown in both size and ruthlessness under the command of their leaders. Rumors abound of a grand project finally nearing completion, and of the High Council's plans to reveal this new project to the Galaxy. Whispered voices say this new project will allow the High Council to "ensure the peace" of the galaxy with an iron fist. Most young people know the Jedi only as exciting heroes in entertainment holos. *    *    *    *    * On Tatooine, an old man sleeps fitfully. Old Memories and new fears mix in dreams. Lost in his dreams, he barely notices a long dormant sense, barely hears the voice... "Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan, my apprentice. Awaken."   *    *    *    *    * If you’ve read this far, welcome! I plan to run this weekly game on Roll20, using text. Players will take the roles of rebels, preparing to fight the tyrannical High Council and free the Republic. I’m a big fan of splitting timelines and the possibilities it opens to play with the familiar trapping we all love without being locked into someone else’s story. This game will offer players an opportunity to shape the galaxy, to suggest ways it’s different and ways it’s not different, building on the premise. System: West End Games’ Star Wars, though if everyone really prefers to go lighter, I have a much simpler variation that I’ve had a lot of luck with, which uses ideas from West End but the core is the Over the Edge system, much lighter and faster. Fridays, 6:30 PM Pacific Time until as late as 1 or 2, but realistically, stopping somewhere around 10:30 to midnight. Text Only, in the Roll20 room. Voice maybe later, but I strongly prefer text. PM or reply here if you’re interested or have questions.
Well done. I was momentarily doubtful, due to the length and the altered canon. But this was well written and I enjoyed it. Allow me to be the first to reply, here, stating my desire to play.
I am known in other parts as Longspeak, and I live up to my name. :) I have three replies so far, one here and two in PMs. First question is: West End d6, or the more simplified version based on Over the Edge? For those unfamiliar, both use d6 and you roll a bunch and try to roll high. WEG uses attributes and skills. OTE uses more broadly defined Traits, which players define for themselves. OTE has less to keep track of, but WEG has more detail which some people prefer. Next Question: Any cool idea on where the canon characters are in this galaxy. I know where I will place them if no-one has a better idea, but I'd love some ideas from the players.
Very intriguing! Do you have any idea how long this game might last? And also - do you have a projected start date?
First answer: West End D6. I played it quite a bit back in the 80s and 90s. Over the Edge is cool, but I prefer D6. Next answer: I'll have to give that some thought.
Thursday: I hope to begin next week. I estimate the first story lasting 6-8 sessions, but that depends a lot on players' choices and actions since I take a lot of my cues from you. The game could last as long as players like after that. Looks like West End, since there's two so far who've specified that.
I'd be interested in potentially playing. I haven't played with the Westend rules myself, but I should be able to figure it out.  Do you have any thoughts on what types of characters you are looking for?
West End's rules really are pretty easy. I'm looking for players who like to do a little worldbuilding along with their RP, and characters that will fit nicely and be fun to play, and play opposite. That's super vague, I know. One important note to be sure everyone is aware of. PCs are Good Guys. They don't have to be stalwart and shining beacons of hope, but they do, at the end of the day, come down on the side of good. PCs who succumb to the temptations of the Dark Side usually get one cool dramatic scene to pull out of the dive... and then become NPCs if they don't.
Teller said: West End's rules really are pretty easy. I'm looking for players who like to do a little worldbuilding along with their RP, and characters that will fit nicely and be fun to play, and play opposite. That's super vague, I know. One important note to be sure everyone is aware of. PCs are Good Guys. They don't have to be stalwart and shining beacons of hope, but they do, at the end of the day, come down on the side of good. PCs who succumb to the temptations of the Dark Side usually get one cool dramatic scene to pull out of the dive... and then become NPCs if they don't. Sounds good. I'd definitely be interested. Is there anything you need from me?

Edited 1534036417
Yeah, this is really tempting. I have played D6 way back when, but haven't for awhile. I'm probably game to do this!  Is there a place that sells the PDF's?  If not, I can probably find the books I'll need on Ebay? 
There was a project called Star Wars REUP you can look into, but it really depends on what Teller will be using.
Wow. so much more response than when I tried to do Everway. :p Between messages here and in private, I have had 9 responses. I've selected the players to invite and filled the game. Thank you all who expressed interest.