Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Updating an EXISTING character sheet

Tom
Pro
Sheet Author
Can anyone point me towards a user friendly tutorial on updating an existing Roll20 character sheet through GitHub?  I've poked around a little and the ones I've found do not match the Github interface for whatever reason (probably written for an older version or written for someone more familiar with GitHub).   I can fumble around GitHub enough to submit a NEW character sheet, but I was asked by the dev staff to update an older sheet rather than submit a new version (the 7th Sea sheet if anyone is interested).  I'm happy to do that, but I pretty much need something to hold my hand through the process as it is different enough I can't wrap my brain around it. Thank you and appreciate the help!

Edited 1534024357
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
So you have looked at Roll20's Github tutorial ? In some sense, editing an existing sheet is the same as as submitting a new one. I assume you added files in a folder for the new sheet in your repository's folder, committed your changes, and made a pull request for your changes(or rather additions), right? Now instead, go to the folder for the existing sheet you want to edit and with a text editor make the changes you want to make, save them, commit the changes, and make a pull request for your changes. I personally use the command line version for commits/pull request, and edit with a text editor, and don't even remember how the same functions are laid out in the graphical version of GitHub. I took a look at the GitHub GUI I still had installed, but have some settings wrong on it so can't really use/check how to exactly do it with the GUI, but conceptually it's the same, as I said above. Hopefully someone else can give you more pointers if you continue using the GUI.

Edited 1534029281
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
When I work on my sheet, it is in roll20 editor then after it is functioning properly for me (checked in chrome and firefox) in my sheet creation game, I run a test game to put it through it's paces with other people. Sometimes this results in found bugs or typos but the end result is the same. After all that, I go to the roll20 github, create my fork, edit the current sheet with the new code then save. I then create a commit/pull request so that my changes will be merged and updated. I tried the Github GUI once but someone told me just create your repository, upload and do a pull request. It is easier than fiddling with the other. If I have an existing fork, I usually delete it then recreate it so everything is up to date with the master rol20 github then I do my standard routine of edit/update/create pull request.
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
 I tried the Github GUI once but someone told me just create your repository, upload and do a pull request. It is easier than fiddling with the other. Oh, so you do all your work in the browser then? Or the command line? If you use the command line, the command  git pull upstream master will pull the latest Roll20 version and update your repository, so you don't have to remove/recreate your repository every time. And if you want to do more than one pull request at the same time, I'd suggest you use separate branches for each separate edit and switch between them when working on them.

Edited 1534030719
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Cool. I just do it all in browser. I only have one sheet and don't do to many pulls or changes on the sheet so my way works for me.
Tom
Pro
Sheet Author
Thanks Andreas and Pat.  I won't have time to devote to this until next week, but I'll follow your steps and see where they get me. And yes, I've looked at the tutorial.  But the last time I did, its instructions did not match the GitHub menu options I was seeing on my end.  It was all very confusing for someone who tampers with GitHub MAYBE once every two years.  I'll give it a repeat before I dive in next week, though.  Maybe its been updated.