Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Updating Translation File

Axel
Pro
Sheet Author
Hey folks! I need some advice on updating the translation.json -file of my published sheet at GitHub. Can anyone here answer, or should I email <a href="mailto:team@roll20.net" rel="nofollow">team@roll20.net</a> ? What I want to do is to add new lines, change the position of a few lines, and also change the keys from lower-case to upper-case. Original: &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; "character-name": "Character Name", New: &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; "CHARACTER-NAME": "Character Name", How is this going to affect the other translation files, such as fr.json or es.json ? Do I have to update every translation file, or will the changes to translation.json be enough? Is there an automatic propagation to the specific translation files? Thank you in advance for any help on this question.

Edited 1534243909
Jakob
Sheet Author
API Scripter
If no to translations exist for a language, most changes will be propagated to the specific translation files automatically, there's no need for you to do anything. Specifically, the following are completely fine: Adding new keys (including changing existing keys, e.g. by converting case) Reordering lines (this will have no effect, as the language-specific JSONs are ordered alphabetically anyway) Deleting existing keys I have had some problems with changing the values for existing keys; sometimes, the changes did not propagate to the language-specific files correctly, other times, they did. But it looks like that's not what you are doing anyway. However, if translation exist and you are changing existing keys , you need to change the specific files as well, otherwise the existing translations will probably be lost and replaced by the default from translation.json. In particular, if you are turning all keys to upper case, the system will probably think that all of those are new keys, and it not bring over the old translation from lower-case keys.
Axel
Pro
Sheet Author
Thank you for the information Jakob. Your help is always appreciated. I will update the main translation file and then take a look at the 5 individual translations that have been done for the sheet to make sure those files are up to date once the main file has been approved and updated.