Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Playing In 2 Rooms

So here is the scenario... I have my office upstairs where I use my (3) 22" monitors so that I can run everything I need to for a great game. Once a year my players meet at my house and all play downstairs. So the question is, how do I setup a game where I can have everyone play in one room while allowing me to DM in my office?  The biggest problem comes in with audio. In theory, I can setup a single laptop and a projector or tv, but last year we tried it with everyone having their own laptops and it was a nightmare. Thoughts?
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
This may help:&nbsp; <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Using_Roll20_while_Playing_In-Person" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Using_Roll20_while_Playing_In-Person</a> We use roll20 to supplement our in-person game with 2 laptops and 32" lcd laid flat w/plexi-glass sheet for minis.&nbsp; GM get's one laptop, player's share the other connected to the monitor.&nbsp; Real dice, paper sheets(except for a couple herolab players), and the GM sits at the table.&nbsp; I love roll20 for all that it allows, but IMO, nothing beats sitting at the table with a group of friends.&nbsp; What nightmares were you experiencing when everyone used their own laptops?&nbsp; If you need each person to have access to their own sheet, rolls, token movement, vision, etc. each person will want their own access.&nbsp; I believe there's a script( Face2Face Dynamic Lighting Helper ) that can switch controlled by on given sheets which would help if using a single player account for the group of players.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
The Observer script might also be useful.&nbsp; It's linked off the page Vince linked.
I'm old school in the aspect that everyone has, and uses, the paper character sheet even though I have it uploaded. Also everyone uses their own dice. :-) The biggest problem we had last year was either echo, or no one could hear the others. Visually everything seemed to work on everyone's laptop. (We had shifted from Maptools due to issues that Roll20 surpassed.) I've always liked the idea of a TV on its back, but everywhere you look it says it's a bad idea to have a TV like that at "any" time. Besides, the only TV I have available is a Plasma and I can't find anything about how bad that would be to have on it's back. All that said, I do have a projector that I could hook up to another laptop and project the image as well. As far as location, I have played D&amp;D for over 30 years and DM'd for over 20. I have always loved being at the table to play, but... as we get more players, there just isn't enough room for the DM. Plus I am so accustomed to my three monitors giving all access in one location without hindrance (outside of issues mentioned above), that I'd feel lost without them.