Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

How do I align large hex pogs into the grid (snapping issue)

Edited 1534807046
Hello The campaign I run has been going for a good few months now and it has been using horizontal hexes due to the maps being isometric. Now this hasn't caused any major issues but I have had a constantly nagging issue with the shape of the large pogs. You see in a Horizontal Hex grid the large monsters consist of three hexes stuck together. This works well in theory but on roll20 the system has a habit of snapping all pogs into the center of a hex, which since the large monster token spans between hexes means it will never align properly unless you set the token to "is drawing". To demonstrate what I mean please see below an image of a large creature, in this case an Ettin, placed upon a Horizontal Hex grid. On the left you can see the token when it has been set to "Is drawing" and on the right you can see it in its natural token form. Now the token on the left fits perfectly into the grid as it has been set to "is drawing" but this brings up the problem that it can't use any of its token functions like health tracking or status markers. Meanwhile the token on the right has been set to its natural token setting, but as you can see it has now snapped itself into the center of a hex and so is misaligned (but does now have its token functions back). Is there any way I can fix this in order to have the token aligned and keep its token functions? I can't see any way of setting a token's snap point so thought it best to ask the audience here to see if anyone else has had this problem and found a solution. Worse comes to worse I can continue using them as 'is drawing' but it can be a bit annoying when trying to record health this way. Thank you
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Currently tokens will default snap to the centre of the central hex as you've seen. Using alt+placement you'll have 'is drawing' control with no loss of function :)
Mik Holmes
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Alt+dragging is probably the easiest way of doing it, but there's two other things I can think of: API scripts like TokenMod could let you create macros that help you deal damage/heal without using the circles, or to toggle isDrawing quickly. Another idea is to add some blank space to the token's image on the side, so it will use it's normal snapping behavior but offset enough that it looks like it's on the grid (this is something I've never tested, and might not work at all).
Thanks for the help. I completely forgot about alt dragging. Thank you.