Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

New Update 2/24: Improved Mobile Support, Better Load Times, and more!

Edited 1393255604
Riley D.
Roll20 Team
There's a new update out today. Here's the highlights: Fixes to Mobile Support We've gone back and fixed several of the issues which have creeped up with the mobile support, particularly on Android. In particular: Two-finger panning has been fixed on both Android and iOS Hold-tap for right-click, pinging, and measuring have been fixed on Android Chrome is now supported on iOS in addition to Mobile Safari. Chrome is now the recommended browser for use on both iOS and Android. Delayed Image Loading As Campaigns grow, many times GMs leave several (and sometimes 10+) pages un-archived and "active" in the Campaign. Maybe you think you might need them and want easy access to them, or maybe you're not even aware there is an archive feature :-). Previously, this could negatively impact your gaming experience because when Roll20 initially loads, it attempts to load all images for all active pages. So if you had 10 pages active in your Campaign, your player's computers would download the needed assets for all of those pages right off the bat, leading to slow load times. With this new update, Roll20 is now much "smarter" about only loading in the assets for a page when it is accessed the first time during a game session. That means much faster load times for everyone. The downside to this is that the first time you play a game, when you switch to a page there may be a small delay as the images load in. However note that once a player's computer has downloaded an asset, it will cache it locally (even between game sessions), so in the future it won't need to be downloaded again. This also applies to assets that are used on multiple pages. So, bottom-line: much faster load times, especially for campaigns with lots of pages. In addition, if you've had players who had issues with Roll20 "crashing" when they attempted to load into the game, and we previously told you to archive pages to fix the problem, that should no longer be necessary. Improvements to the Text Editor We've also made a few improvements to the rich-text editor used for the forums and the in-game text fields (bio, notes, etc.) Copying+pasting from external sources, tables, text styles, and many other things should now work better in general. Let us know if there are any regressions (things that were working before but now aren't.) Forum Changes We've made several changes to the forums, including archiving the General Off-Topic forum, adding a "flagging" feature (as well as better behind-the-scenes tools to aid with moderating the forums), and made a few tweaks to the Roll20 Community Code of Conduct. You can read more about these in detail on today's blog post . Note: the next time you visit the forums, you will need to re-agree to the Code of Conduct since it has changed. Misc Changes The compression quality of JPG image uploads has been increased.
Good going, +1 :)

Edited 1393401253
Spyke
KS Backer
All this is much appreciated. My one caveat is the change to page-loading. While I can see how the benefits would outweigh the disadvantages for campaigns with lots of pages, it's worth noting that the first time you switch your players to a page is usually at a key transition point in the story being told, and you want the new page to appear for the players as quickly as possible. Hopefully the change won't delay things too much, however I wonder if there could be a way GMs could trigger a pre-load to the players' machines? Perhaps simply by moving as GM to the page during the game, so that it would be pre-loaded for the players when they are dragged there? Update 26 Feb: We played last night, and the players were happy with the speed of the transitions to new pages, so my worries here were unfounded. Thanks!
No Predictions of Developer or Moderation Action Any and all posts predicting how a Developer or Modertor will address an issue will be deleted, with the offending poster being banned. If you see an issue on the forums you think needs attention, please "Flag" the post and let the moderators address it-- do not attempt to publicly solve (or predict the solution) yourself. Can you please elaborate? I know this is standard stuff, but no warnings or anything? what exactly is meant by attempting to publicly solve something... can we not speculate on coming development changes? I guess I am just a bit curious. Thanks
Feefait said: No Predictions of Developer or Moderation Action Any and all posts predicting how a Developer or Modertor will address an issue will be deleted, with the offending poster being banned. If you see an issue on the forums you think needs attention, please "Flag" the post and let the moderators address it-- do not attempt to publicly solve (or predict the solution) yourself. Can you please elaborate? I know this is standard stuff, but no warnings or anything? what exactly is meant by attempting to publicly solve something... can we not speculate on coming development changes? I guess I am just a bit curious. Thanks There has been a rash of people basically jumping in a thread and going "Oh, I bet this guy is going to be banned", or saying "I know saying this will get me banned, but I'm going to do it anyway." We're basically trying to cut down on that. Doesn't have anything to do with discussing future feature developments of the Roll20 application itself.
i dislike the deletion of the off topic forum, i used to come to this website mainly to get ideas and opinions with other GM's. Now i have nearly no reason to come to this website, severely disappointing. [you just rolled a natural 1]
Gid
Roll20 Team
The main purpose of Roll20...is Roll20. As in the Virtual Tabletop application. We found that over the past year, the Off-Topic forum bred far too much vitriol that was serving as a disservice to the community that are here to use the application. There's plenty of websites out there where their main purpose is to serve as a forum for all things tabletop gaming. The forum isn't the main purpose for this one. It's just not something we could watch over properly without Roll20's development suffering.
Nice idea guys. Just a thought but what if there were an option for all players to download the resources (but not be able to access them) before the game?
Any chance for a ambient light setting, or a player dynamic light opacity setting coming in the future?
Text editor doesn't copy its own colour and background to another notes section on a character sheet or etc.
Gid
Roll20 Team
I'd recommend that if you have a suggestion for features or a bug report, to create threads in their specific forums. Update threads are best served for asking questions about or reporting issues with the current update.
These are very positive changes, this system has come along way since I joined last year. Great job. I do have one suggestion about the Campaign Discussions, Journals, Handouts, etc, and cutting & pasting text. I would love to be able to be able to bring over different colored fonts. Between game sessions I have several players who enjoy Off-Panel time, essentially play-by-email character development, they are all assigned a font color which makes it easy to know who is responding before you start reading when it all gets put together. I wanted to add these Off-Panels to the summaries I post in the Campaign Discussions (for reference and anyone who can't make it), but without having the font colors coming over from Word, it gets a lot harder to follow and these can be 60-70 responses long, it's not worth the effort to go back and tag each response individually. Thanks and keep up the great work.