Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

API: Creating Dynamic Tokens and Images with getPixel and setPixel

Edited 1535560210
The problem: Right now, if I want to have a soldier token that might be armed with any arbitrary weapon, I have to create and import a graphic for the same soldier, wielding every conceivable weapon. Then say I want a dragonborn, but with the same weapons. Then an elf. Then a half elf. The tokens add up, and the work I do to create them could be automated. A solution: Say that instead, I had a base graphic for my soldier: And then I have a graphic for the bow he wields: Then I had the ability to iterate over the pixels and copy them from the bow graphic and set them onto an instance of the base graphic with the result: And then I had my sword graphic: Which I could merge with another instance of the same base: That would cut down on a lot of both graphic design work and image storage on Roll20, because to arm my elves, I just need an elf base and I can reuse the same weapon images. Same with my dragonborn, and any other new race or PC or whatever I want to bring in later. Implementation: The pixels only need to be copied from images. The interface could be something like this: object.getPixel Parameters: x         The horizontal coordinate of the pixel on the image y         The vertical coordinate of the pixel on the image Returns: A JSON object containing rgba information about the pixel. Example: {"r": 0, "g": 255, "b": 100, "a": 255} If called from a non image object, or the x and y coordinates are beyond the bounds of the image, it returns the undefined type. object.SetPixel Parameters: target     The target image on which to apply color      The JSON object containing the same rgba information about the pixel that is returned from o.getPixel. x            The horizontal coordinate to set the pixel at. y             The vertical coordinate to set the pixel at. Returns: void Alternative: These two methods would inevitably open up some really creative scripting beyond what my intention is here. While I’m not familiar with the Roll20 backend and the stress this would possibly open up to servers and clients, another, more limited option that would achieve a similar goal would be to have a method that merged two images into a single instance on the tabletop. object.MergeImage Parameters: target     The target image that effectively gets copied and pasted on top of the instance of object o. X and Y coordinates of the target are mapped to the exact X and Y of the base object. If target has larger dimensions than the base, then anything beyond is cut off. Returns: void Another Alternative Skip the API altogether. Provide the ability to select two tokens and merge them from selecting the "merge" option from the right click context menu. Or even just "group" them. Once grouped, they are selected and moved as if they were a single token, and could be ungrouped as well. Conclusion I prefer my original API idea for getting and setting pixels, but all of these solutions would help get me to my goal. Complications that would need to be defined are things like: What happens if I set the new merged token to a sheet? The ideal would be that the sheet store the modified token and not just the base, but there may be things I don't know about how that works, as well as other complications that I haven't thought of.
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .