Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences here.
×
×
Cookie Preferences
We use Cookies to help personalize and improve Roll20. For more information on our use of non-essential Cookies, visit our Privacy Policy here.
Hey, I'm new to this, and I'm already loving this site, though I do have a question: how do I record sessions? I found out how to live stream on the Help and Support page, but I don't know how to just record. How would I do that?
I did some research, and I think you use the same thing you use to broadcast as you do to record. The software I need for that Costs money, though. I'm kinda cheap, so I'll stick with podcast.
I think you can record your session to youtube by starting a Hangout and broadcasting it. It will automatically be saved to your youtube account. See: <a href="https://support.google.com/plus/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2553244&topic=2553242&ctx=topic" rel="nofollow">https://support.google.com/plus/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2553244&topic=2553242&ctx=topic</a>
Recording a Hangout by broadcasting works very well, but has the downside that your session is live while you're playing to anyone who wants to view it. They can stumble across it while browsing Hangouts on Air, and I assume anyone who has you in a circle gets a notification that you're broadcasting. There's also a 2 hour limit, though with a session break that's not really an issue.
I have a question related to this. I am doing the live stream/record but I am looking for a way to stick the camera on one person that is "screensharing" the roll20 window (hangout app). The cameraman app seems to only let me mute everyone and display the one person which is really not useful at all. There is also the option of clicking on the player from the DM side but this again is pretty useless because if I am trying to move tokens around the map, adjust health/etc I cannot see them and have to click back on roll20 and lose the player view of the map. Anyone have suggestions on how to stick the "camera" on one person during a live session?
I don't know about the most recent question, but I wanted to point out that we have some help documentation on popular streaming programs. I know it bites a bit to pay, but we've found it GREATLY reduces our hassle having these programs. <a href="http://help.roll20.net/misc-live-streaming/" rel="nofollow">http://help.roll20.net/misc-live-streaming/</a>
That popped up on my search but I am hoping to stick with tools within the hangout myself. I have used xsplit/twitch.tv before and it did work fine but I am looking for something that will work for for displaying the players display in a decent resolution and not the DM desktop. If I could depend on a player to record it using that it would work great.
Open Broadcaster is an amazing streaming program and is FREE! I use it for various games and intent on using it for my Tutorial campaigns in order to transfer them from twitch to youtube.
Found this screen camera web app thing that s free. I'm gonna stick to that. I'm cheap. I like things that are free. And, to the person on the Toll20 them, the point was to NOT stream it.