Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

live game, camera display of the battle board

We have a live game with four people and a remote player, and we used Roll20 to include the remote player by having him use the voice and text chat.   We don't use the VTT because we use battle tiles at the table.  We pointed the GM camera at the battle mat, allowing the remote player to kinda see what was going on. Is there a way to make the map display area in Roll20 use a camera feed instead of an image of a map?  I'd like to have it where the remote player can see a bigger image of the board. Or perhaps there is a better solution that I'm not realizing...any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Not really. You could tell your local roll20 browser to use a camera that is pointed at the board, but you cannot make them any larger that their max size (and probably wouldn't want to, given bandwidth limits on Web RTC). For my group we use all Roll20 or Roll20 & Skype for video/audio, and many combinations in between. One GM even has a remotely-pannable security cam with an extraordinary clarity for filming the board. But video can't be used to fill up the VTT. Even on games that are largely Skype-ony (luddite GM), we use Roll20 for the character sheets and rolls for remote players. My advice would be to mix and match technologies until you find something that works for your group.
So it sounds like a separate program using a webcam would be needed to get what I want accomplished, and it sounds like Skype might get me there. Thanks!