Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Question about what is loaded on connection

Robert R.
Plus
Marketplace Creator
Hey, recently my game has begun to load VERY slowly and worse yet, outright kill Firefox forcing me to use Chrome. I have a considerable number of characters in play, with tokens and portraits and proper Character handouts setup.  I am starting to get the impression that immediately on connection that either all of the image data is downloaded on the spot, or possibly the contents of the handouts.   Before I go ripping everyone's portrait off or downscaling images, I am curious - what gets sent to a player on connection from the main campaign (not the current page)?  Thumbnails?  Contents?  Would I be best keeping character tokens on a page unseen by the players? Thanks!
Hi Robert, Essentially everything that is present in the campaign is sent to everyone on load in. So this would include character sheets, images, maps, pages, handouts, archived content, etc. By far the largest contributor to campaign lag is going to be the character sheets themselves. Some of the more complex and feature rich sheets have upwards of 4,000 elements alone, per character. This really starts to add up very quickly, especially in larger or longer running games. Our recommendation at this point in time to deal with high amounts of slow down due to campaign size is to delete everything that is unneeded. Pro subscribers have access to the Transmogrifier which can allow users to make repository games (a game for characters, a game for maps, and so on) and transfer content as needed to the main game. This keeps things tidy and streamlined for the main campaign. You may be able to accomplish similar results via the copy game feature, but you will not be able to transfer between games. I hope this information helps!