Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Questions on Waterdeep: Dragonheist

I am wanting to buy this Adventure for my group but it doesn't mention what levels it takes you too. Does anyone know what xp levels this goes up too? Thanks for the help. Happy Gaming
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
According to Wizards of the Coast, it's levels 1-5&nbsp; (see:&nbsp;<a href="http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/dragonheist" rel="nofollow">http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/dragonheist</a>)
The current version of waterdeep restrists gamemaster to only 1 “season” of content for a game. can we have an option that allows us to use content from any of the seasons? This season restrict limits the utility of the module and would requires setting up 4 different games in order to access the complete module. I understand why you did the seasonal option but not all of us are keen on this restriction as it limits the module's utility. Please give us an option to select our own game components.

Edited 1536556743
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
From what I'm reading in the handout you create your game with the base module "Dragon Heist" then when you get to chapter 4, the game creator adds what season the group seems to be heading for. There is a sentence in that handout stating if the GM would like to prepare for the whole game they can create a game and add all 4 parts into that game but they will have to delete a lot of duplicated pages. Edit-- This is my first impression of it with just a quick read through. The module is well thought out and looks good but with it supposedly to be added to I have a recommendation based on the layout of all the other seasons that I chose to add to the game as those seasons are classed as addons. My recommendation is to append to the primary page names the suffix -core or something similar. This was done with each season but I would recommend thinking about adding it to the primary pages also. Mostly to help keep any possible confusion over what belongs to what at the minimum. I would also recommend taking all the primary journals, handouts, and character sheets and placing that structure into one folder. Again this is following the layout of the addons on how they look when added. I create a folder called core and dragged all of them into it prior to adding the seasons. This helps me keep everything organized.
I looked today on my PC and saw that I could add all 4 seasons tothe game. I am not sure that that was an available option before but if it was recently added I thank you. and if it was already there I apologize.for implying the author wasn't giving DM the options we might want. Yes I know that there will be a lot of duplicates but I can deal with that. Better too much than too little. I treat these types of modules as a DM sandbox - I want to pick and chose and twist everything sideways. the written material is merely the starting point. what my players will see will be quite different.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
From the set-up notes handout: If at any time the storyline organically switches to another main villain, we recommend removing the first addon, then adding in the second. Adding in another game will overwrite any shared NPC's or Creatures, so always create a backup before doing so just in case.&nbsp;
Dean
Roll20 Team
To confirm - levels 1-5 are the intended experience. As for seasons, you can add all the of the seasons into a game. We just recommend not doing so, as each season has a lot of duplicated content with shifts in story and layout, and unnecessarily bogs down a game. For the most part, the Dragon Heist play experience will contain 1 season, but you can add however many you'd like to a game for special cases or for creating an "all-in-one GM reference" game for yourself :)
I expect to use a mix of the contents"seasons" in my game. I want a DM sandbox. I will ignore the seasonal approach and do my own thing around the theme. I have enough experience to create my own combination of events and counters without relying on the rather simplistic formula given by the module.&nbsp;
Does the module come with a downloadable separate pdf for the campaign, or atleast full access to it in the R20 client itself? Or do we also need our own copy of the book to go with the module to run it?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
The module contains the full text of the book in the form of handouts (with plenty of cross-linking). You need purchase nothing else.

Edited 1538325686
So, I just spent $50 and bought Waterdeep: Dragon Heist and after looking it over for a couple days, I have a couple of comments; 1.) While there are lots of NPC tokens on the maps: guards, veterans, named NPC's, etc, there is no way to choose many of&nbsp; them or move them.Specifically I am talking about the Zhentarim Hideout, Gralhund Villa, and The Vault of Dragons. Perhaps I'm missing something? 2.) the maps themselves look like someones kid drew them, they are not even up to the quality of those in the book WotC put out. You do realize there are 3rd party programs that will help you with maps? I have to say, since this is the first module I have purchased through Roll20, I'm kind of re-thinking whether I'll be buying any more.

Edited 1538336291
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Mike D. said: 1.) While there are lots of NPC tokens on the maps: guards, veterans, named NPC's, etc, there is no way to choose many of&nbsp; them or move them.Specifically I am talking about the Zhentarim Hideout, Gralhund Villa, and The Vault of Dragons. Perhaps I'm missing something? Those tokens you indicate are on the GM layer so you will have to change your layer (left side toolbar, second tool that looks like a box, an eye which is the GM layer, a flame, and a pin drop) then you are able to select the tokens. Mike D. said: 2.) the maps themselves look like someones kid drew them, they are not even up to the quality of those in the book WotC put out. You do realize there are 3rd party programs that will help you with maps? I have to say, since this is the first module I have purchased through Roll20, I'm kind of re-thinking whether I'll be buying any more. From all the various posted replies by the devs, those maps are what is supplied by WotC for the module and are supposed to be identical to what is in the physical module you can purchase. The devs did not make those maps.

Edited 1538344073
I'm not seeing the core set for this after purchasing it from the marketplace. I see all of the seasons and have successfully added the Winter option to my game, however, there's no core set to add to my game. Any help would be appreciated, I'd rather have not spent $50 for half a module.&nbsp; For clarification, I have Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter but there is nothing at the beginning of the adventure which would include the stuff at the Yawning Portal or anything for Trollskull Alley.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Jason said: I'm not seeing the core set for this after purchasing it from the marketplace. I see all of the seasons and have successfully added the Winter option to my game, however, there's no core set to add to my game. Any help would be appreciated, I'd rather have not spent $50 for half a module.&nbsp; For clarification, I have Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter but there is nothing at the beginning of the adventure which would include the stuff at the Yawning Portal or anything for Trollskull Alley. The core set is a module and you create the game with it then use the seasons as addons to that module.
Pat S. said: Jason said: I'm not seeing the core set for this after purchasing it from the marketplace. I see all of the seasons and have successfully added the Winter option to my game, however, there's no core set to add to my game. Any help would be appreciated, I'd rather have not spent $50 for half a module.&nbsp; For clarification, I have Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter but there is nothing at the beginning of the adventure which would include the stuff at the Yawning Portal or anything for Trollskull Alley. The core set is a module and you create the game with it then use the seasons as addons to that module. That cleared it up, for those like me who overlooked it, selected the module as you're creating the game and then go into the Addons to add the season. The core isn't in the addons. Thanks Pat!
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
You are welcomed. I have all the seasons added in one game and there are duplicates of the pages but not to many, maybe half dozen. Each season goes in a different path of adventure and do not mix together to much but it is possible to create various branchings into the various seasons, just takes some work on the GM.