Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Working on a Monster of the Week sheet: looking for feedback/suggestions/assistance

Edited 1537616728
The default monster of the week sheet, while helpful in a pen and paper sense, left something to be desired for my play group. I started reverse-engineering the Dungeon World Official sheet to remove the compendium features and work for Monster of the Week, and have reached a playable state and I'm looking for some feedback, programming assistance on a thing, and any suggestions of what you would like on the sheet: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/join/3718660/LizVMQ" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/join/3718660/LizVMQ</a> Things I'm working on: A journal tab for backstory elements, income calculator, and other important notes for players to update over time. Tailoring the roll template to be a bit more stylish. Removing the unused Dungeon World code. Ensuring the sheet is ready for translations. Things I'm stuck on: Making the "Moves" area and "Gear" area pull all repeatable fields as a macro. Several sheets out there, including Shaped 5e, have the ability to pull the roll values for every repeating section and present them as links in a whispered message to the player, allowing for a token macro called "Moves" that would present all your options and allow you to click which one you want without always having the sheet open during play. I'd love to add that functionality but have no way to do it. Things suggested: Waiting for viewers like you Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
So you didn't feel any of you improvements could be integrated into the old sheet?

Edited 1536933181
Jakob
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Andreas J. said: So you didn't feel any of you improvements could be integrated into the old sheet? I think the old sheet is a variant of the AW one, which is ... not so great. This is probably best as a new sheet, written from scratch. Making the "Moves" area and "Gear" area pull all repeatable fields as a macro. Several sheets out there, including Shaped 5e, have the ability to pull the roll values for every repeating section and present them as links in a whispered message to the player, allowing for a token macro called "Moves" that would present all your options and allow you to click which one you want without always having the sheet open during play. I'd love to add that functionality but have no way to do it. You'll have to construct them with sheet workers as follows: react to the change:repeating_move &nbsp;and remove:repeating_move &nbsp;events, and then use getSectionIDs and corresponding getAttrs to construct a string containing one ability command button for each row in the repeating section. Write this string into a hidden attribute like "attr_moves_macro", and then your "Moves" button would simply include @{moves_macro} in its text.

Edited 1536941022
Andreas J. said: So you didn't feel any of you improvements could be integrated into the old sheet? Not in a meaningful way. I started trying to update it and in the end that was a dead end. While there is a lot of previously built text from the core playbooks, by time I rebuilt each section to better work with Roll20 and using tokens it really wasn't worth keeping. I'm going in the direction of no playbook direct implementation rather than auto-populating (at least right now) as there are a wide range of variants for monster of the week (including timelines, aka Monster of the Week Medieval, variations in Harm/Luck rules, and home-brew sheets) that make doing so pretty complicated. Jakob said: Andreas J. said: So you didn't feel any of you improvements could be integrated into the old sheet? I think the old sheet is a variant of the AW one, which is ... not so great. This is probably best as a new sheet, written from scratch. Making the "Moves" area and "Gear" area pull all repeatable fields as a macro. Several sheets out there, including Shaped 5e, have the ability to pull the roll values for every repeating section and present them as links in a whispered message to the player, allowing for a token macro called "Moves" that would present all your options and allow you to click which one you want without always having the sheet open during play. I'd love to add that functionality but have no way to do it. You'll have to construct them with sheet workers as follows: react to the change:repeating_move &nbsp;and remove:repeating_move &nbsp;events, and then use getSectionIDs and corresponding getAttrs to construct a string containing one ability command button for each row in the repeating section. Write this string into a hidden attribute like "attr_moves_macro", and then your "Moves" button would simply include @{moves_macro} in its text. Awesome, thanks Jakob! I'll start working on this later today.
Update: Journal tab is updated. For the variant houserules where you track money/income/debts there is an optional section where you can choose up to five modifiers for incomes/debts and also a button that will calculate your weekly income at the start/end of each mystery (it calculates your debts and income and adds that value to your current cash area to tell you what to update to). Wasn't able to get the sheet worker to send a macro for the repeating sections working, that appears to be beyond my skills with this sort of thing. I'd love more information about how to do this, but as someone who only really knows html, reverse-engineering the script workers has not been very successful so far. This week I'll start updating the translations tables for the new fields, and then it should be at a point to put up on github for anyone who might want it.
After all the hubaloo over on reddit (which is really overblown and dumb), some folks I play with started talking about leaving Roll20 and I found myself defending it for quite some time. One pointed out how much time I spend editing sheets/mods/api scripts to make things workable while paying for the privilege to do so, which... frankly became a brainworm for me over the last few days. After some soul searching, I've decided to leave the platform for a while to try out alternatives to see if I can play these systems without having to spend the equivalent of a part-time-job's hours each week coding and troubleshooting. If anyone wants the code for my progress on the MotW sheet, let me know. Else, good luck to the next generation of folks looking to be sheet authors.