Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Attendance Rating

I understand all too well the issues with any sort of "rating" system, but how about something that simply keeps track of whether or not people show up for games? It seems like the coding would be relatively easy. If you're a member of a game and it's scheduled for a specific time, if you're online then you get a check for attending, or you're not and you don't. Results to be give as a percentage. Perhaps a separate stat for when you're GMing. It's easy to give a troublemaker the boot, but it's harder to see your set of 8 new players and then have half of them never show up.
Still think this doesn't function, similar to ratings. The social reaction will be when someone has a miss in good faith and their score is affected will still be wild flailing. Also wouldn't stop making dummy games to try and boost attendance scores. I really like the core of this idea, but don't know how to make it functional.
id like to suggest a reverse a sort of a : will you attend vs a will you won't attend the next session as a player which can be changed and log the times when there changed. this way someone who gives 50% or greater notice before game time would not lose a point for not showing up since they reported they would not at least 50% before game time. those who give less than this could receive a half point for at least saying there not gonna make it.  Then you could also provide a reminder notice of a pending games the day before with the yes or no to attend so no matter what. the points received for not or for attending are fair since the user was provided a notice with enough time to say one way or the other... as a gm i don't think we need to give points for that since it could be gamed  the other thing i'd like to add is a last logged in time and date visible to the GM so you can see if players are still active on roll20. if a player does not make session and has not logged in since then you known it could be internet issues or intentional depending on length  Nolan T. J. said: Still think this doesn't function, similar to ratings. The social reaction will be when someone has a miss in good faith and their score is affected will still be wild flailing. Also wouldn't stop making dummy games to try and boost attendance scores. I really like the core of this idea, but don't know how to make it functional. i think your concerns are mostly addressed with my above tweak
Thought I would chime in. As with any point based system you steamroll the casual players and reward the hardcore players. If someone got a bad rating they could create dummy accounts and fake games and up their rating again like it never happened. You could start everyone at 10 and allow DMs to "punish" players with a "no show" which drops their rating by 1. Then all players regenerate 1 rating a month. So after a month that 9 rating goes back to a 10. You might have to control DM angst as well by limiting DMs to only giving a single player a single negative rating a week or a single negative rating a day. And only if that player is in their game. Now obviously you also have to consider players who drop from games on the day of the game. Maybe allow DMs 24 hours after a player drops to give them a negative rating, but in that scenario they can only give a -0.5 rating?  Anyway, its a hard thing to setup, you have to first pinpoint the meaning of the rating. Is it for DMs to help other DMs? Is it for Players to help DMs? Its always an impossible task. And you will never find a perfect system. But I think a system for DMs to help DMs to identify flakes would be very helpful. As long as the mechanism for recovering a negative rating is time based I think it could work. Just my 2 cents.
good points zerg feedback for your suggestion... i like the time based recovery after all people can change perhaps a slower approach to the auto recovery maybe 3 months from when the player lost a point. determine at which point say -10 which point is that player labeled a flake... or whatever term to mean "WARNING  may not fit at any table at the present time" and this label would have to take a longer time to drop off then simply returning to base 10. if a player drops i think the negative point should still be 1 and be automatic. rather than something the DM has to do. you can even use the system to manage these points if a player joins then later drops from game regardless of time to game they lose a point. all game drops must be kicks in my book and those are free. i think the use of such a rating is both to help DM's plain and simple. since the system is auto there is no need to manage GM's and it stays far based off the actions of the player.  then you allow the GM to input only when asked via a pop up or other mechanic... Should this player lose a point??? with options No show (at end of game) Late to game ( after 5 minutes from scheduled start time) and others the system then tracks these for let's say 6 months or so and if they get a label separate from the one above which drops off if they fall below the threshold say 30 for that label.   with those tweaks id say your suggestion is about the best way to not allow a gaming of the system since all points recover with time and nothing else there is nothing that can be gamed unless the player wants a bad label... also there is not much the GM can do to cause point loss since the system determines when to ask the GM. it is a Time and no matter how many games a player is in Each box the GM's get only contribute to the total for the one label. This system i think i would support. 

Edited 1537765664
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Instead of flat point scale, a percentage or ratio based rating in your described method might work also. 
Loren the GM
Pro
Marketplace Creator
I'm not sure I'm in favor of ratings, but that didn't stop me from having a thought of functionality :) Perhaps instead of allowing GM's to penalize players, make it so they can provide missed game forgiveness. However the system works, allow GM to forgive an absence. This helps make it more collaborative for players to stay in touch with their GM, as forgiveness would be encouraged for people to report the need for an absence instead of just blind skipping.

Edited 1537829430
How about an optional check-in system that a GM can turn on or off?  If on, the GM either sets a schedule for the game (weekly Wednesdays, etc.) or manually creates each game day in a schedule.  The players can then indicate that they will/won't be in attendance for the scheduled game(s).  If a player indicates that they will be in attendance during the scheduled game and then logs in during the pre-scheduled session time, they are "checked-in."  If they don't show up (i.e., don't log-in during a session they previously indicated they would attend), then it counts as a "no-show." Then stats can be generated for each user, and they have the option of sharing them with the public or keeping them private. This kind of system would help with both reminding/tracking who is going to show up for a session (always a hassle), and provide limited statistics regarding a player's reliability, if they choose to provide it. As far as users trying to pad their stats by creating fake games, perhaps a game only counts if it has a minimum number of unique users logged in?  If groups of people start getting together just to pad their stats - maybe they'll just start playing with one another :P -Adam

Edited 1537876270
Kathy
Plus
Nolan T. J. said: Still think this doesn't function, similar to ratings. The social reaction will be when someone has a miss in good faith and their score is affected will still be wild flailing. Also wouldn't stop making dummy games to try and boost attendance scores. I really like the core of this idea, but don't know how to make it functional. People will miss in good faith. Everyone does and that's the beauty of an automated system. It measures objectively. It's easy on the coding. Right now, I got into LFG assuming that 50% of the responses who post an application and accept an invite will be no shows. An automated rating system may be imperfect, but it can't be more broken than the existing situation. People are constantly bemoaning that there aren't enough GMs. This is my single biggest issue as a GM.
I'll probably be thrown out a window very comically for saying this. Why not allow GMs to flag players with a "no show" label that only they can see. This allows the GMs to police their own games and build banks for un/reliable players without the public social mess of a rating system. You could allow Players the same label for GMs for the same reasons. 
Vegemite Dangerous said: I'll probably be thrown out a window very comically for saying this. Why not allow GMs to flag players with a "no show" label that only they can see. This allows the GMs to police their own games and build banks for un/reliable players without the public social mess of a rating system. You could allow Players the same label for GMs for the same reasons.  I can keep track of that in my head, it doesn't really help with new players.
Giger
Pro
API Scripter
I love this idea, but it needs to be algorithmic. Relying on "fair use" of such a tool won't be realistic and is crazy easy to exploit.
Giger said: I love this idea, but it needs to be algorithmic. Relying on "fair use" of such a tool won't be realistic and is crazy easy to exploit. When I look at something like this I look for ways it could be weaponized and I can't see how it can. That's the problem with players giving other players ratings: it can be weaponized. In terms of exploiting, if you mean someone could create dummy games and then join them on time in order to ramp up their score--well that's a lot of work. And people who can't be bothered to show up for a game obviously aren't exactly dedicated. If they do, well, so what? They could also delete their account and create a new one. A system doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to make things better and not harm anyone.
why not simply allow gms to set playtimes with start and end time and allow players to confirm attendance then if you confirmed and dont show up ingame you get a bad boy point. This way no malicious reporting can occur players and gms know planned attendence beforhand and everyone should be happy.
Best bet is to find a group you like and stick with them or work with them or an online friend's list of players you had good experiences with. 
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .