Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Edits in game discussion post don't save

Edited 1538637729
Hello. Recently I've been working a campaign using a new system our group never played before. As part of my preparation, I'm making sort of a crash course for the new system from which my players can get a quick overview, and naturally it grew to be quite long, but now whenever I add something new to it and click on "Save Edits", they just don't save. I don't know if the length of the post has anything to do with it, but deleting a part of the post doesn't seem to work either. I've also tried to see if I can edit a different post in my older campaign and that seems to work fine. Is there any way to fix this? Thank you for any suggestion. Edit: Some clarification, by game discussion I mean mean the game forum.
My first thought is that, when in a game with more than one person editing the same material, and everyone saves it... nobody saves it. In other words, maybe someone else has a copy of it open, and your save therefore isn't registering. Just a thought. Edit: Does deleting a part of it save? Does it remain deleted?
I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who can edit my posts in the campaign forum, I mean, I'm the DM and I don't think even I can edit other people's posts. Even if that was so, I've tried this on many different times over the course of last two days and it would be too much of a coincidence. Deleting part of the post doesn't save either, it remains as it was, even the date of when the post was last edited doesn't change.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Lukas, Let's do some basic troubleshooting before I ping a dev on this.  Could you please carefully work through these steps of our guide to  Solving Technical Issues ? Step 1: Make sure to use the right browser Please check if these issues persist when using both Chrome  and  Firefox. Step 2: Ensure that there are no extensions/addons interfering with Roll20 Please disable  all  add-ons/extensions  and  anti-virus programs. Step 3: Clear your cache If none of the above succeeds, please thoroughly work through  Step 4 .  (Don't forget the complete Console Log!) Thanks!
Unfortunately none of that worked, so here's my attempt at step 4. Description and reproduction I already mention above, though it only seem to (not) work on the one bugged post and I don't know how it reached that bugged state. My system and browser info: Firefox 62.0.3 (64-bit), Windows 10 Home 64-bit, Javascript enabled, Windows Defender as the only anti-virus, my list of addons. (though the bug was present even with addons disabled) Screenshot of the post I'm trying to edit, if that's any help. Here's the console log. <a href="https://pastebin.com/B4K8NE3y" rel="nofollow">https://pastebin.com/B4K8NE3y</a> Here's also the POST that's sent when I press "Save Edits". The "newcontent" part of it contains a small edit I made, but when I refresh that page, the edit's not there. <a href="https://pastebin.com/AAD8K2r4" rel="nofollow">https://pastebin.com/AAD8K2r4</a>
I wonder if UNstickying (is that a real word, Sam?) the post might help?
I tried unstickying the post and it doesn't seem to make any difference.
Hi Lukas, What is the name of the game you are experiencing this issue in? It is possible there is an error on the back end for the post that may be preventing edits from sticking.
The name of the game is Cataclysm: Edge of Humanity. The bugged post is called Crash Course in Aftermath!

Edited 1539358909
Drespar
Roll20 Team
Thank you for that info, I managed to have a look at the thread and attempted a few test edits. I was able to replicate the issue on my end, I have passed along the information to the devs to make sure we can get this fixed for you! EDIT: Our devs were able to get the post to edit once again, could you give it a try and see if it works for you as well now?
Yep, can confirm that edits work once again, thank you for your help! Also, was the bug completely patched up, or is there something I should avoid doing to not encounter it again before a more long term solution comes up?
I do not believe the underlying cause for the bug is fixed at the moment, it is something the devs will be investigating. That said, if it happens in the future, it may be worth cutting all of the content, saving the edit, and then pasting it back in as another potential solution.