Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

GM Showing a pic of a monster but not Bio to players?

As a GM when my players encounter a monster, npc etc I love to show a pic.  The Monsters I open up their sheet and click the bio tab then show to all players.  However this also displays the monsters attacks, lore, and more info.  I would just like the pic on that page displayed, is there any quick way to do this?  I know I believe I can save the image as then upload it, but that is more work than I really want.  Right now I show the players and just ask them not to scroll down.   Also any way to show the players but not have it end in their journal?  I am going back in after a game and removing stuff that ends up in their journal when really I just wanted to show an image.  I showed an image of an NPC but the players got all the bio, etc in their journals. Thanks
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
There is no automated way that I know of (though it would make a great API script), but there is this Stupid Trick . Also, If you care to go through the setup effort, you can cut the info from the bio and put it into GM Notes. It will still display for you, but players will only be able to see the picture.
I just hit shift + z on the token. However, if the token is different, Keith's method works. Alternatively, right click the picture in bio, copy, make a new handout, and paste, not into the picture section, but the text section.
Get pictures of your monsters off of a Google search if possible and then load them into a site. From there just put in the link into your chat window for the monster. I have images on Imgur for example as well as several other sites. /desc A large spider moves towards your party quickly through its webs. [Imgur](<a href="https://i.imgur.com/kNC9J5v.jpg" rel="nofollow">https://i.imgur.com/kNC9J5v.jpg</a>) The picture doesn't count against your data storage on Roll20.&nbsp;
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
If you go Erich's route, here is a framework you might find useful.

Edited 1538682910
Problem is we play in person and don't use the chat window.&nbsp; I think I'll just find images beforehand and upload them.&nbsp; Or just keep telling players not to scroll to the text.&nbsp; Generally we have one player with a laptop that is mirrored to my large tv.&nbsp; That is what the players see.&nbsp; I know they won't scroll down, but may accidentally or more importantly I don't want the sheet to end up in their journal just because I showed them it.&nbsp; I'm afraid of potential to look at the sheet later and see stats or whatever maybe for an npc.
Ok so I figured out a pretty good way to show a pic but not bio.&nbsp; It takes just a bit of work.&nbsp; Edit the bio sheet cut the notes and paste in GM only.&nbsp; Then show players.
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
After the game, you could edit the handout to remove access for the players, but at that point, you might as well copy the bio to the gm notes anyway.&nbsp;

Edited 1539322988
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
For anyone who has the API who is looking for a way to do this: some guy named Aaron has a script for it. The silly thing is, I have this script already installed. Completely forgot about it.