Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Doors and Dynamic Lighting and how can I erase easily?

Edited 1539105167
Greetings R20 folks.  I know to remove your last mistake using cnt+Z, I know about 'erase drawings (which does all of them!). I need to know how to remove say one or two things that I messed up on without having to remove all my work up to that point. I am talking about laying down dynamic lighting lines.For example I did all the walls one  thin teal color and the doors a thicker light red. However since I have restrict movement on, the player cannot move his token past the door which is shut. If there is no way to figure this out without removing 'restrict movement' Id rather remove the 'door lines' but I cant figure out how to do that.  I have restrict movement on which keeps the players tokens in the area they can see.  How do I deal with doors? Without a 'quick erase' tool I cant figure out how to let my players know there is a door there? 
You can easily solve this by moving the door lines to the GM layer instead of deleting them, this way you can quickly move them back in the event they close the door. Using advanced shortcuts you can use L then K to move it to GM layer or L then , if you wanna move it to lighting!

Edited 1539107392
Ooo you can move the lighting to the GM layer? Do I select it? Ill look up shortcuts and the reference! This may sound stupid but can I click on the line in the lighting layer and hit 'g' to 'move it' up to the gm layer?  Also this is kinda a work around on erasing but is there a way to erase things? 
There is no erase tool aside from delete.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Since you have a pro subscription, it might be worth checking out some of the door scripts for automating this process. I'm not in a position to easily look up links, but popular ones include Matt's Door and Simple Doors. The former has options for locking and lockpicking, the latter is simpler to set up. I prefer the latter, because I don't like automating some parts of the game. Hopefully someone can post some links? 
Ooo I did not know we can open doors with scripts! Ill look em up now. 

Edited 1539125539
Keith, I found  your thread referring to simple doors.>> So to use this macro I write it as a macro and is use it on an 'object token like a door? Do I use a 'door token' and place it on the map layer or token layer?  "I use  SimpleDoorControls , a nice script by Three of Swords, and The Aaron. It is similar to what you have written, but even simpler in that you don't need to change layers yourself in order to toggle the doors. You have a control token for each door. I use an invisible png token, with a red GM-only aura set over the door. I have a macro that changes the color to green as it opens the door, and back to red when it closes it. Just so I can quickly see the state of any door on the map. I tried Matt's Door Script for a while, but I liked this because I didn't need all the extras the other script came with, like automatic traps and so forth."

Edited 1539132346
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I make it very simple, as most commercial maps have a door in place, and I don't want to muck about with open and closed positions. I usually use Invisible tokens for the doors, with color coded GM auras. if the players can see through it, it's open. :) I use a master door macro to toggle the state. The script itself has the instructions on how to set it up. They are on the script as posted in the thread you linked, but I'll repeat them here for reference. Take a look, go ahead and install the script and give it a try. Just follow the instructions step by step. Once you've done the first one, the rest are very quick. I generally get my tokens all sorted and named, then copy and paste a fresh set wherever they are needed before running the linking command. Be sure to install the Aaron's edited version from this post . Creating a linked door system ----------------------------- Verify you're on the Token/Object Layer. Place a graphic of a door or other barrier in the closed position. Name that token DoorClosed (all one word, and yes the D and C need to be capitalized). Place a graphic of a door in the desired open position. Name that token DoorOpen (all one word, and yes the D and O need to be capitalized). Draw a line to act as the Dynamic Lighting barrier for the door when closed (while still on the Token layer). Select all three objects. Type !DoorsLink (or set it as a macro and use that macro) The Open Door and Dynamic Lighting barrier will be moved to the GM layer and Dynamic Lighting layer, respectively. The open and closed doors will be renamed. This is how they are linked. DO NOT RENAME THE LINKED OBJECTS. Do this for each set of doors needed. Opening and Closing doors ------------------------- Once the objects are linked Select the door on the token layer Type !DoorOpenClose The door will open if it is closed, or it will close if it is opened. */
One other useful script for pseudo-erasing is Pathsplitter.  This script allows players to split up a path (line, polygon, or freehand drawing) by drawing another path on top of it.  The original path is split up where it intersects with the splitting path.  You can then select either section and move or delete it.  From the API (with some added notes for clarity): 1) Draw a path (pink line in the example below) over the path that you want to split up (purple drawing in the example). Set this path to the splitting path color (by default this is pink: #ff00ff). 2) Select both the path you want to split and the splitting path. (see sequence in the example below) 3) In the chat, enter the command  !pathSplit  or activate the  Pathsplitter  macro installed with the script.  The pink line disappears and the purple one is split.  You can select either part and move, rotate, or delete as you like.  You can change the default color for the splitting line.  The script also supports ellipses. Speaking of ellipses, they don't play well on the dynamic lighting layer.  You can use the script DLellipsedrawer.  It runs in the background and changes any ellipse you draw on the dynamic lighting layer into a polygon, default 20 sides.  Fewer sides means less work for the processor.  Pathsplitter works on those too. Hope this is helpful!