Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

iMac and Dynamic Lighting

Hi all, I have seen a post about macs and dynamic lighting issues already and what the solution is, however this hasn't resolved it for me. I am running the latest OS and am using the most up to date version of chrome. Hardware acceleration is turned on however When in game the DM has to turn off dynamic lighting as it doesn't work for me. I have tried using Safari to run the game however that flags up a multitude of issues that go far beyond just dynamic lighting. Any help or advise would be appreciated, but please no jokes about how I should of bought a windows machine instead! Thanks, Mike

Edited 1539277778
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Hmm, I have 0 issues running Roll20 on both my Mac and my PC using firefox, chrome, and sometimes even brave. When you say that dynamic lighting doesn't work for you, what do you mean? You mention that your DM has to turn it off for you which would make me think that you just see a black screen. This is not the problem that is caused by hardware acceleration/javascript being disabled; in those cases the dynamic lighting does not render and so the map is completely visible as if DL was not being used. So, some things that your DM will need to check (as a player you don't have access to these settings): Does your token have sight enabled? Does your token emit light, if the map doesn't already have light sources? (unlikely problem) If the map has other light sources, is the light from them set to be seen by all? since you're the only one having the issues, this isn't likely. (unlikely problem) Is fog of war enabled, basic fog of war does not automatically interact with dynamic lighting reveals. If you can provide a screencap of your issue, that would also help in figuring it out.
Scott C. said: Hmm, I have 0 issues running Roll20 on both my Mac and my PC using firefox, chrome, and sometimes even brave. When you say that dynamic lighting doesn't work for you, what do you mean? You mention that your DM has to turn it off for you which would make me think that you just see a black screen. This is not the problem that is caused by hardware acceleration/javascript being disabled; in those cases the dynamic lighting does not render and so the map is completely visible as if DL was not being used. So, some things that your DM will need to check (as a player you don't have access to these settings): Does your token have sight enabled? Does your token emit light, if the map doesn't already have light sources? (unlikely problem) If the map has other light sources, is the light from them set to be seen by all? If you can provide a screencap of your issue, that would also help in figuring it out. Awesome thankyou! The screen is blacked out for me, so the DM has resorted to fog of war and just reveal areas as I get to them. Don't have a screen cap right now as we arent in game but I could get one next time if what you've suggested doesnt work. I will point him in the direction of looking at those points. Thanks again!
in fact this is a screen cap I forgot I took

Edited 1539278643
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
ok, yeah, that looks like what happens when there is no light for your token to see. I notice that there is a torch icon there. Is that supposed to cast light for the party? Is it controllable by all or just a single player?
I think it was for me to be able to see as I don't have darkvision